Fishing!

For topics unrelated to bush walking or to the forums.

Fishing!

Postby delphin » Mon 12 Mar, 2007 8:46 am

There are a few of us who combine the walking with fishing and when not walking - well - we fish! Mostly Flyfishing and there is a fair bit of cross talk between our usual forum (flylife.com.au) and here already. I don't propose to talk to much fishing here but it might be a good place to direct between forums and perhaps to hook up with walking fishermen...
Kind regards,
Michael Dickson
delphin
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby aprior » Tue 13 Mar, 2007 9:14 pm

Since I've taken up fly fishing I've managed to walk into some fabulous parts of the state that are well off the beaten track. I used to walk to the top of big hills to admire the view but now I follow the watercourses and even though the view may not be as big it certainly is no less beautiful.

A hidden forest valley with a small stream running through it and miles from nowhere......it doesn't get any better. Except perhaps if the stream has some trout in it :wink:
Andrew
aprior
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 16 Mar, 2007 12:17 pm

Your comments about the view reminds me of my home. I have an exceptionally good view over a wide expanse of water. Some of the water is blocked by two large trees. A lot of people say, 'shame about those trees blocking the view', but what they fail to realise is that the trees ARE the view.

It's all a matter of perspective, I suppose.

When bushwalking, I enjoy the valley/river walks as much as the mountain top views. In fact, even more sometimes, as they often require a lot less steep climbing, which is not my forte.

One of my favourite walks is the Mersey river from Lake Junction to Hartnett Falls (known as the "Never, Never") and then continue following the river all the way through Lees Paddocks. Its very easy walking but beautiful water falls and forest (and some great swimming holes).

I'm not a fisherman at all, but I've noticed fish in the meandering Lees Paddocks sections.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)

Postby aprior » Sat 17 Mar, 2007 10:25 pm

Lees Padoocks is a top spot for a bit of dry fly fishing.
Andrew
aprior
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby The Caveman » Sun 18 Mar, 2007 6:22 pm

You certainly got that right Andrew.

Wandering around the Mersey lakes is the purest way to get out and about with a fly rod, although the trek in can be a heart stopper of you're not prepared for it.

Personally, I go in from the Arm Rv track up past Lake Price and do the lap over a couple of days. February/March is the best time, as the weather has settled and a few early Autumn rains may have freshened up the creeks and lakes somewhat.

GPS is a must, pre-plotted with waypoints to aid in the navigation.
The Caveman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby aprior » Sun 18 Mar, 2007 7:55 pm

GPS!!! Corey, I had you pegged for a map, compass and protractor man :wink:

Having done my navigation training in the green skin I can't get used to using degrees instead of mils. Last walk I went on was with a group of scouts. I gave them a bearing in mils and they looked at me like I was talking swahili!

GPS is great but doesn't hurt to keep the old skills up to speed. Just in case the batteries go flat!
Andrew
aprior
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby The Caveman » Sun 18 Mar, 2007 8:03 pm

Used to be Andrew, but have had a few technical upgrades recently and I'd rather take 3 sets of batteries than a handful of maps, compass and protractors any day...

Besides, my GPS also can load maps so I have the best of both.
The Caveman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby aprior » Mon 19 Mar, 2007 6:18 pm

I'm a map collecting tragic. In my study there's a collection from trips all over Australia. I love to just sit and pore over them, remembering trips long past, funny incidents and near disasters!! GPS is technically superior to a map and compass but for me it's a little like the fly fishing v's soft plastcs debate. Yes you catch more on soft plastics but it's nowhere near as rewarding as fluff chucking!
Andrew
aprior
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby The Caveman » Mon 19 Mar, 2007 9:23 pm

Andrew, it's real handy having all the Tassie top maps on CD... :wink:

I've found that the map/compass duo doesn't work a whole lot for you in low light either. Backlit GPS and a lantern have kept me from the Westpac chopper on a few occasions. :oops:
The Caveman
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby haggismuncher » Mon 26 Mar, 2007 8:20 pm

You think you've got problems....... try being a Geographer by training, with a nasty fly fishing/fly tying habit......
I dream of CDs of maps. :D
It would be one less pile of paper, handy to print the important bits.

Coming from Scotland I miss the 1:50,000 series they were just the right size for walking (and fishing). :wink:

I don't think I'd ever go out with just the PDA/GPS, my one crashes too often. :roll:
haggismuncher
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Australia

Postby frank_in_oz » Mon 05 Nov, 2007 7:48 am

Hi everyone,
I know this might be blasphemous but I thought I would stick my neck out anyway. Heading into the Walls of J in about 2 weeks for a couple of nights around Dixon Kingdom Hut. It is a bit of an intro walk so we are not going too far, just day walks around the area. e.g. Lake Ball, Junction lake (won't go as far as Meston)

A couple of the blokes I am going with started talking fishing and seem keen to take rods. (I am too).

We are NOT fly fishermen (hence the blasphemy) thought we might try spinners or bait????? Any ideas (or advice...like don't waste your time, ) or bait is illegal or whatever.

Thanks in advance
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Fishing

Postby flyfisher » Mon 05 Nov, 2007 8:56 pm

Frank,the lakes in the Walls area generally do not contain trout, including Lake Adelaide. but Lake Ball and other lakes south and east hold many fine fish. Junction has many nice rainbows as does Meston but would be a bit beyond your range if camping at Dixons Kingdom. Best chance close by would be Ball as it has a big head of fish.
Tight lines
Flyfisher
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Re: Fishing

Postby frank_in_oz » Tue 06 Nov, 2007 6:25 am

flyfisher wrote:Frank,the lakes in the Walls area generally do not contain trout, including Lake Adelaide. but Lake Ball and other lakes south and east hold many fine fish. Junction has many nice rainbows as does Meston but would be a bit beyond your range if camping at Dixons Kingdom. Best chance close by would be Ball as it has a big head of fish.
Tight lines
Flyfisher

Thanks Flyfisher, sounds like a plan! Any suggestions on the type of gear we need. Lures? bait? Spinners? Looking forward to wetting the line......
Frank
Check out "Our Hiking Blog" Overland Track guide, Food to Go-recipe ideas and Trekking to Everest Base Camp.
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Son of a Beach » Tue 06 Nov, 2007 7:57 am

There's a reasonable hut at Lake Ball too... rustic and basic, but not bad.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby frank_in_oz » Tue 06 Nov, 2007 8:06 am

Son of a Beach wrote:There's a reasonable hut at Lake Ball too... rustic and basic, but not bad.

Yes, when we were there in July it looked like it had just been done up. Very cosy. Did not stay there as we were on the way to Meston from Dixon's
Frank
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby frank_in_oz » Thu 29 Nov, 2007 6:54 am

Back from our trip into the "Walls". had a short fish in Lake Ball with no success other than seeing a couple come to the lure in shallow water. Did not really give it a good crack. Started too late, very windy etc. We had excellent weather. Posted a nice tiger snake taking a frog video on my blog if anyone is interested.
Frank
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Joe » Thu 29 Nov, 2007 7:22 am

frank_in_oz wrote:Back from our trip into the "Walls". had a short fish in Lake Ball with no success other than seeing a couple come to the lure in shallow water. Did not really give it a good crack. Started too late, very windy etc. We had excellent weather. Posted a nice tiger snake taking a frog video on my blog if anyone is interested.

That video is great. Hes a big boy that snake. Cant say I would have been hanging around to take video ;)
Joe
in vino veritas
in vino veritas

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Stoney Creek Outdoor Equipment.

Postby frank_in_oz » Thu 29 Nov, 2007 7:38 am

No neither would I. The bloke who took it was very relaxed about it! We probably saw about 10 in 4 days. Busy time down there for em. The worry is the ones you DON'T see ..... :lol: :lol:
Frank
frank_in_oz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Markus » Mon 07 Jan, 2008 7:20 pm

flyfisher wrote:Frank,the lakes in the Walls area generally do not contain trout, including Lake Adelaide. but Lake Ball and other lakes south and east hold many fine fish. Junction has many nice rainbows as does Meston but would be a bit beyond your range if camping at Dixons Kingdom. Best chance close by would be Ball as it has a big head of fish.
Tight lines
Flyfisher

I have been wondering about Lake Adelaide because i read in an old walking book (100 walks in Tas, by Tyrone Thomas) that lake Adelaide does contain fish.
I have fished in Ball and Junction and caught fish but never Adelaide.
Does anyone know for certain the trout status for lake Adelaide?
Markus
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Son of a Beach » Mon 07 Jan, 2008 8:21 pm

Markus wrote:I have been wondering about Lake Adelaide because i read in an old walking book (100 walks in Tas, by Tyrone Thomas) that lake Adelaide does contain fish.
I have fished in Ball and Junction and caught fish but never Adelaide.
Does anyone know for certain the trout status for lake Adelaide?

If you don't get a definite answer here, you might like to try the Fly Life forums (on the Fly Life magazine's site). Lot's of Tasmanian fly fishers there (several of whom have joined up here). Unfortunately you need to register to view and search their forums, but I'm led to believe it's a good community and well worth the effort.

It was the availability of bushwalking information there (for walking to fishing areas) that inspired this site, but I'm not a trout fisher myself, so don't really have a clue.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Re: Fishing!

Postby Markus » Fri 11 Jan, 2008 8:14 am

Thanks for that, i'll check it out.
Markus
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby slick41st » Sat 01 Mar, 2008 8:31 am

I had heard recently from what I would call a 'reliable source' that Adelaide now had fish. I had polaroided the shores some 4-5 years ago without seeing a thing.

I was told by the same source about 5-6 years ago that Bill had fish, and now there are some excellent fish in there and some monsters in Myrtle.

I can confirm Bill & Myrtle - but not yet Adelaide as I moved too far south recently and haven't had a recent opportunity!

Bill is a great day walk or overnighter - some absolutely magnificent wade polaroiding to be had.
slick41st
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby flyfisher » Fri 14 Mar, 2008 5:47 am

Slick, spot on about Lake Bill.I passed there on a walk into Meston and saw fish going both ways.

I haven't walked it with a day pack but I imagine it wouldn't take more than an hour or a little more.

When I was there it was nice and calm (on the way out )and a few fish were quite actice on black spinners and were happy to accept the artifical.

Camping ,in settled weather could also be a pleasant option but boy ,isn't that hill a heart stopper.

Cheers John
If you don't know what I'm talking about, then you need to drink more.
flyfisher
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: landrover owners club of tasmania

Postby RiverFly » Fri 14 Mar, 2008 10:07 am

Thats scary if Adelaide ever gets browns in it - its pretty close to the upper Mersey (Meston et al) wild fishery which would be stuffed if browns ever get in to it.
RiverFly

Postby slick41st » Fri 14 Mar, 2008 5:22 pm

flyfisher wrote:Slick, spot on about Lake Bill.I passed there on a walk into Meston and saw fish going both ways.

Camping ,in settled weather could also be a pleasant option but boy ,isn't that hill a heart stopper.

Cheers John

Hey John,

The tier is all relative - Bill is my preferred option to Walls, Junction (via Cloister) or especially February Creek!

I agree with Riverfly, it would be really bad for Adelaide to get browns, but also because we really do need some lakes up there that are devoid of trout so we can use them as measurement of the impact the trout are having in other waters (not that I woudl everr like to see them removed from any existing waters).'
slick41st
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Between Bushwalks