Du Cane Traverse

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

Re: Du Cane Traverse

Postby wander » Tue 28 Feb, 2012 5:28 pm

The conditions were Vnice. Just a set of squall lines with thunderstorms which came through overnight while camped at Mount Masiff which lead to us having a rest day there. A bit of a test for the BD Mesas which both passed. We slightly bent a pole in ours but you had to look for ti to know it. As it came to pass we could have moved on but used the latter 1/2 of the day to scout out Big Gun Pass and came to the conclusion that traversing on the West side right round to the Pass from Mount Masiff was the route for our group. So we really zipped through this section the following morning.
wander
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: South Australia

Postby ILUVSWTAS » Wed 29 Feb, 2012 6:41 pm

wander wrote:To add to the resource that this thread is, here are some pics of our Du Cane Range Traverse from January this year.https://picasaweb.google.com/105622138270107185062/201201DuCaneMtGould

I have just noticed I did not take a pic of an important feature, we found a deep rock pool on Falling Mountain that was the only water in this area and looked as if it is normally the last water prior to well out on the link ridge to Mount Masiff. We might have a GPS of this location.

There is (or WAS) a few small tarns along the ridge between Falling and Massif, i'd be surprised if they ever dried out completely....
Attachments
2010_1104(067).JPG
Nothing to see here.
ILUVSWTAS
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby wander » Thu 01 Mar, 2012 8:53 am

Yep the tarns in the above pic were all full. But they are a hike if you looking to camp on Castle Crag or the pitch between there and Falling Mountain which is more protected. There are very limited and exposed campsites out on the ridge where the tarns are.
wander

Region: South Australia

Postby nickthetasmaniac » Wed 25 Apr, 2012 2:00 pm

If anyone's interested, I've started a bit of a walking/photography blog and have a full report written up about this walk :)
http://peopleandotherstrangecreatures.w ... -traverse/

Goes without saying that this is just personal reflections and not a walking guide... Go find a map and compass if planning to do it yourself :wink:
Rondanestien (Nor), Southern Ranges (Tas), Western Arthurs (Tas)

http://peopleandotherstrangecreatures.wordpress.com/
nickthetasmaniac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby iandsmith » Wed 15 Mar, 2017 12:45 pm

Wow, fabulous stuff, just doing some research when I stumbled on it.
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Previous

Return to Gallery