Larapinta Falls

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

Larapinta Falls

Postby cams » Fri 09 Jan, 2015 12:55 pm

Did this day walk at Lamington NP on New Years day. Christmas creek is beautiful and provides for a not so straight forward walk. Particularly if you just stick to the creek like we did past Westrays. Slower, but much nicer than pushing through the bush on the sides of the creek. Here are a few shots from the walk.

cams
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Larapinta Falls

Postby bumper » Fri 09 Jan, 2015 5:04 pm

Hi Cams,
We were there the same day, A group of 6,followed the tapped trail up the side of the creek. Steep, slippery, and lots of lawyer vine but worth it.
Probably the best falls in lamington.IMO.
bumper
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby cams » Mon 12 Jan, 2015 7:25 am

bumper wrote:Hi Cams,
We were there the same day, A group of 6,followed the tapped trail up the side of the creek. Steep, slippery, and lots of lawyer vine but worth it.
Probably the best falls in lamington.IMO.

Ahh. Hi. :) Yeah, we came back along the banks as we probably would have run out of daylight otherwise. I'd probably agree (out of the ones I've seen). Plenty of the smaller ones are extremely photogenic, but these are big and beautiful.
cams

Postby Pteropus » Fri 16 Jan, 2015 6:43 pm

Nice trip cams. I did this walk back in 2010 and wished I had gone back. The falls are spectacular. We rock-hopped up the creek from Westray's Grave too. I recall it wasn't too tough, but I think we took our time and so it was quite a long day.
024 larapinta Falls.JPG
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australia

Postby Champion_Munch » Sat 17 Jan, 2015 9:10 pm

Some nice shots cams. Was there last Winter but didn't make it all the way to the falls (thought we must have taken the wrong creek at some point and decided to head back) but rock hopping up the creek was a real treat. Seeing these photos makes me want to get back and complete it!
Champion_Munch
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby cams » Mon 19 Jan, 2015 10:17 am

Pteropus wrote:Nice trip cams. I did this walk back in 2010 and wished I had gone back. The falls are spectacular. We rock-hopped up the creek from Westray's Grave too. I recall it wasn't too tough, but I think we took our time and so it was quite a long day.
024 larapinta Falls.JPG

Wow, looks like you had a lot more water then. Yes, it wasn't too bad, but compared to some of the other creek trips I've done recently Lamington sure throws a few more obstacles in the way. It took us nearly 8 hours including a few prolonged photography stops.
cams

Postby cams » Mon 19 Jan, 2015 10:19 am

Champion_Munch wrote:Some nice shots cams. Was there last Winter but didn't make it all the way to the falls (thought we must have taken the wrong creek at some point and decided to head back) but rock hopping up the creek was a real treat. Seeing these photos makes me want to get back and complete it!

Thanks. Yes, it definitely takes longer than you expect.
cams

Return to Gallery