The Otways

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

The Otways

Postby MickyB » Fri 25 Oct, 2013 9:56 pm

A couple of photos from a hike I did in the Otways today:

Owl.jpg
Owl.jpg (252.12 KiB) Viewed 5260 times

Fungi.jpg

Fungi 2.jpg

Fungi 3.jpg

Blechnum Forcett Feather.jpg
Blechnum Forcett Feather.jpg (114.72 KiB) Viewed 5260 times

I am not 100% sure but the Fishbone Water Fern (Blechnum nudum) could be B.nudum 'Forcett Feather'. As far as I know this form has never been recorded in Victoria and is/was only know to grow in a small area in Tassie. There were about 6 plants that I found today.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Re: The Otways

Postby Giddy_up » Sat 26 Oct, 2013 10:27 am

Any clues on the type of owl, lovely to catch one out and about in daylight. Nice pics too, thanks for the share.
causa latet, vis est notissima
Giddy_up
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby MickyB » Sat 26 Oct, 2013 11:48 am

Thanks Giddy_up. I think I scared the B'Jesus out of him and then he scared the B'Jesus out of me. I was walking up a creek when it suddenly flew from a branch, directly above me, to the another tree. He was happy to stay in that tree though while I took some photos. I think it was a Powerful Owl but I am happy to be corrected by anyone. I do know that Powerful Owls are found in that area.
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Giddy_up » Sat 26 Oct, 2013 12:12 pm

He/she is a magnificent bird. You sure can see why there efficient hunters at night with those eyes.
causa latet, vis est notissima
Giddy_up
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby MickyB » Mon 28 Oct, 2013 5:38 pm

MickyB wrote:I am not 100% sure but the Fishbone Water Fern (Blechnum nudum) could be B.nudum 'Forcett Feather'. As far as I know this form has never been recorded in Victoria and is/was only know to grow in a small area in Tassie. There were about 6 plants that I found today.

For those who are interested - I spoke to a fern expert today and he said that there is a good chance that this fern is Blechnum nudum 'Forcett Feather'. However there some B.nudum that appear like this but if you were to transplant them into another area they would revert back to normal. Some of it's characteristics point to it being Forcett Feather and others point to it being a normal B.nudum. I will have to wait until Feb/March when it starts to produce fertile fronds to confirm either way (different appearance apparently). To the best of his knowledge Forcett Feather has not been recored outside of Tassie.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Return to Gallery