Expat's Vintage Slide Collection

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

Expat's Vintage Slide Collection

Postby tecais » Sun 29 Sep, 2013 8:11 am

I left Australia over 35 years ago yet my best memories are still bushwalking and rock climbing while at Brisbane State High School then the University of Queensland.

During the period 1961 to 1974 I took over 1,500 color slides, mostly Kodachromes, that were stored and unfortunately neglected for many years. It soon became obvious transparency film is not a reliable archival medium and degrades over time from mold, dust and fading of colour dyes, so I made the huge effort to edit, scan and digitize favourite images.

I published these online for posterity as Picasaweb albums and most are already linked in scattered posts in the Queensland forum. I then processed more images into a total of six albums containing almost 500 images. It then made sense to collect these in one place and this Gallery forum seemed most appropriate.

The albums are Brisbane Bushwalking, University Days Down Under, Glasshouse Mountains, The Warrumbungles, Mount Lindesay and Girraween National Park. My hope is others from my generation hoarding boxes of slides may also be inspired to dust off and post their personal treasures for public reference.

Links to the albums are in my blog post here:
http://rokrover.blogspot.com/2013/01/brisbane-bushwalking-pictorial-archive.html

Cheers,

Ted Cais
tecais
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Re: Expat's Vintage Slide Collection

Postby Pteropus » Mon 30 Sep, 2013 7:01 pm

These photos are fantastic tecais! It’s great to see more of your collection of so many places I have visited in recent years, and many places I haven’t (not a climber), and how they were 40+ years ago. Thanks for posting.
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australia

Return to Gallery