Cannot enter comp because of incorrect photo date

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

Cannot enter comp because of incorrect photo date

Postby kalium » Fri 02 Aug, 2013 4:14 pm

I tried entering a photo in the comp, but I get this error:

Photo was taken on 0000-00-00, but photos for this competition must be taken on or after 2013-07-01.

Now clearly this photo was not taken a 0 AD, but was in fact taken last month. I guess I will have to go in and modify the EXIF data myself to get around this?

Cheers.
kalium
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: Cannot enter comp because of incorrect photo date

Postby Hallu » Fri 02 Aug, 2013 4:19 pm

Right click on your file, properties, details, origin section and you can modify the date yourself easily.
Hallu
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby Son of a Beach » Fri 02 Aug, 2013 4:27 pm

Modifying the EXIF is one way to get around this. Of course the system depends on the honesty of the people entering photos if they are editing EXIF data.

If you can't edit the EXIF, another option is to delete the EXIF data completely (if you can't do that easily, convert it to PNG, and then convert back again - PNG doesn't do EXIF).

Then enter it into the competition.

You'll then get a warning that the date of the photo can't be determined and the entry is only a tentative entry. It will display a link to click on in order to email your proof of date to the competition admin. Click the link and send some sort of proof of date taken. Not sure of the current status, but when I was the competition admin, it didn't take much to convince me. :-) The admin can then log into the system and enter the actual date taken into the system which will complete the entry into the system.
Son of a Beach
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Bit Map (NIXANZ)
Region: Tasmania

Postby kalium » Fri 02 Aug, 2013 7:32 pm

Thanks guys, I ended up just stripping the data as that seemed to be the easiest for me. I did start a thread in the trip reports when I got back from the hike, but then again, maybe that was just a ruse to help me get into the photo competition.
kalium
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby kalium » Wed 21 Aug, 2013 10:33 am

So I guess my photo wasn't accepted ?
kalium
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Gallery