Twisted Lakes

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

Twisted Lakes

Postby Davo1 » Mon 20 May, 2013 9:43 am

It's probably been done a heap but it was such a glorious day yesterday and the wife hadn't been to Twisted Lakes so we made the most of the weather.
So here's a couple of pics without the Fagus.
Attachments
DSC05531.jpg
DSC05535.jpg
DSC05537.jpg
DSC05543.jpg
DSC05545.jpg
Davo1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Twisted Lakes

Postby neilmny » Mon 20 May, 2013 3:23 pm

Beautiful pictures Davo.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby ofuros » Mon 20 May, 2013 6:52 pm

Agreed.....nice. 8-)
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Postby eggs » Mon 20 May, 2013 7:48 pm

One of the really pretty easy-to-get-to places in Tas. And so many don't go there??
eggs
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: South Australia

Postby Davo1 » Mon 20 May, 2013 8:08 pm

Thanks for the comments.

Yes, eggs, the whole of Cradle is nice if you take the time to enjoy it and not walk right by. Just gotta remember to stay away on weekends :-)
Davo1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Chris » Tue 21 May, 2013 10:20 pm

eggs wrote:One of the really pretty easy-to-get-to places in Tas. And so many don't go there??

Hard to understand for such a wonderful area, but this does make it an even more special place for those who do get there.

Thanks for posting Davo - looks like the conditions were even better than when we were there 4 days earlier, and only saw 3 other people. As you were there on Sunday, I'm curious about how many others you saw?

I did get the feeling that the official line was not particularly encouraging.
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Jason68 » Tue 21 May, 2013 10:59 pm

What a beautiful country we have Davo, so many places to see :)
Jason68
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Northern Territory

Postby Davo1 » Wed 22 May, 2013 7:20 am

Chris wrote: Thanks for posting Davo - looks like the conditions were even better than when we were there 4 days earlier, and only saw 3 other people. As you were there on Sunday, I'm curious about how many others you saw?

Chris, we have spent a reasonable amount of time up there during the Fagus season and we never go on weekends. In actual fact we usually never walk anywhere on weekends.
Well the wife had never been to Twisted Lakes and the day was just too good to pass up so we made a rush decision to go.
When we got to the boom gate we could not proceed, the lights were flashing and there was cars lined up waiting to get through.
So it looked like our only alternative was to catch the shuttle, having never used the shuttle I went into the Interpretaion Centre to see if we could catch the next one through and there was a sign saying we had to catch the shuttle back at the visitor centre (found later to be incorrect). To cut it short, with all the mucking around we lost an hour on the way in and we had to be back at the Dove Lake pickup point by 4.30 at the latest to catch the last shuttle back to the visitor centre so it altered our days planning somewhat.

In answer to your question, lots, I'm guessing at around 30 outside of the Dove lake area.
Something which really surprised me was there was about 13 people go over Hansons Peak just while we were at Twisted Lakes and that is incredible to us as normally we can spend days walking around up there and hardly ever see a soul.
The other bit that surprised me , those 13 that went over the peak were in about 4 or 5 groups and the Register at the Lake only showed us and one other party going to that area.
An eye opener as to the huge difference between week days and weekends, so it's back to week days only for us :-)
Davo1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Chris » Wed 22 May, 2013 11:22 pm

Thanks Davo.That certainly confirms the dramatic difference. Like you my walking is all done during the week now - how lucky we are to be able to do that!
I suppose some of those people may have registered at Ronny Creek or further back, but suspect not.
Maybe worth a message to Parks re the misinformation about shuttle bus access? May well be a waste of time though. We were given some inaccurate info by a ranger before our TL walk - not dangerously so, but puzzling. Disappointing, and bad PR.
Still didn't detract from a wonderful day though :D
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby johnnyt » Thu 23 May, 2013 3:59 pm

Beautifully captured scenes. Makes me miss Tasmania.
johnnyt
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Australia

Postby biggbird » Fri 24 May, 2013 9:55 am

Beautiful pictures Davo!

Interesting to hear there were that many people around on Sunday! I left the carpark at 6:50 in the morning and arrived back at about 17:40, and didn't see a single soul! Wasn't sure at the time whether it was just because there was nobody around, or whether it was because I had just missed them. Obviously you have answered my question! I headed out to Barn Bluff, across to the bottom of Emmett and then back around via Lake Rodway, Hanson's Peak etc, so I guess I was probably taking less travelled paths too.

It was worth getting up for the sunrise at least, lovely view from Marion's Lookout.

biggbird
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby tibboh » Sun 26 May, 2013 8:40 am

Nice pics Davo, thanks.
"I'd rather be up a mountain"
tibboh
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby ryantmalone » Mon 12 Aug, 2013 10:35 pm

It's an incredible spot out there.

Was there a few weeks before, and it was a very different picture indeed!

Strongest winds I've ever seen, snow, sleet, hail... still amazingly beautiful though!
ryantmalone

Return to Gallery