Norway hiking - Rondanestien

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

Norway hiking - Rondanestien

Postby nickthetasmaniac » Wed 01 May, 2013 7:12 pm

This is the first of what will probably be a few sets from my 180km solo trek through the Norwegian highlands during June 2012 (it's taken a while to work through nearly 5 months of images...).

This collection is from a route known as the 'Rondanestien', which I'm assuming basically translates as 'Rondane trail'. As you would expect, the route begins on the moors behind Lillehammer and travels for about 100km north until it reaches Rondane Nasjonalpark - Norway's oldest national park and home of the spectacular Rondane Massif, but that's a story for the next set :wink:

It's a pretty bleak landscape, ground down by millennia of glacial action and largely above the tree-line. It's sparsely occupied by the odd sheep and the even odder bushwalker, but for the most part I had it to myself for six days I was up there.

If you're interested in the story there's a write-up on my blog with a bunch more photos Norway, June 2012 pt.I – Rondanestien | people + other strange creatures

Part II has now been written and can be found here: http://peopleandotherstrangecreatures.w ... dbekkbotn/ I'll post some shots from that article directly tomorrow :)

GH2, Nokton 25mm and m.ZD 45mm

Hut, Nevelfjellet (1089m)

Cairn, Astkyrkja (1061m)

Across the moors to Rondane Nasjonalpark

Down the valley towards Ringebu

Remdalen

Reindeer antlers and a DNT waymark

A lonely path over the moors

The never-ending, mid-summer twilight

Ramsjønnet

Muen (1424m)

Locals with Muen (1424m) illuminated behind

Night 5 camp - Ramsjønnet
Last edited by nickthetasmaniac on Thu 02 May, 2013 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rondanestien (Nor), Southern Ranges (Tas), Western Arthurs (Tas)

http://peopleandotherstrangecreatures.wordpress.com/
nickthetasmaniac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Norway hiking - Rondanestien

Postby vagrom » Thu 02 May, 2013 1:53 pm

Thanks Nick. Their own Nullabor. Great shots. I worked in the Lofotens for half a year. Looking forward to more from you.
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: WalkingSA, Frnd Cleland/Bushcare, Alltrails
Region: South Australia

Postby forest » Thu 02 May, 2013 2:00 pm

Thanks for the report Nick. Looking forward to a few more, great to see where some Aussies end up !!
I am a GEAR JUNKIE and GRAM COUNTER !!

There, It's out. I said it, Ahh I feel better now :lol:
forest

Region: New South Wales

Postby nickthetasmaniac » Thu 02 May, 2013 3:06 pm

Thanks guys, the next couple of sets will be from the much more mountainous regions so they'll be a little different :wink:

vagrom wrote:Thanks Nick. Their own Nullabor. Great shots. I worked in the Lofotens for half a year. Looking forward to more from you.

I've heard pretty amazing things about the Lofotens, are you a climber? I think one of our OT guides is heading there for most of the upcoming Euro summer :)

nickthetasmaniac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby biggbird » Thu 02 May, 2013 5:58 pm

Awesome shots Nick, thanks! While weathered in in Lukla for six days, spent a lot of time looking up walking in Europe, but never came across this particular one. Probably because when it came to Norway, I just became obsessed with the Lofotens... They look amazing! Definitely planning to get there at some stage, but sounds like this would be another good one to keep in mind.

Having just come from threads about New River -> Federation, scrub bashing in Tasmania etc... Those pictures certainly make for a bit of a change :P Must be nice not to be worrying about the scrub sometimes.

Will look forward to the rest of the pictures :)
biggbird

Postby nickthetasmaniac » Thu 02 May, 2013 6:22 pm

biggbird wrote:While weathered in in Lukla for six days, spent a lot of time looking up walking in Europe, but never came across this particular one. Probably because when it came to Norway, I just became obsessed with the Lofotens... They look amazing! Definitely planning to get there at some stage, but sounds like this would be another good one to keep in mind.

While Rondane is one of Norway's more popular national parks, the Rondanestien itself (most of which isn't in the national park) doesn't get anywhere near the traffic which is probably why you haven't heard of it :wink: That other two non-coastal areas that were recommended by locals were the Jotunheimen Nasjonalpark and Trollheimen Nasjonalpark. You could quite easily do a walking holiday to Norway and visit all three :)

nickthetasmaniac
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby vagrom » Thu 02 May, 2013 8:32 pm

nickthetasmaniac wrote:
I've heard pretty amazing things about the Lofotens, are you a climber? I think one of our OT guides is heading there for most of the upcoming Euro summer :)

You've probably heard of the Kungsleden then? Not far across the border, in Sweden. North to south recommended, accessed from not far east of Narvik. Perhaps the region's most well known trail and so more likely to have company.
I'm guessing that at this time of the year you've cleverly avoided the legendary mosquito life. I only ever heard of these as I was working on a cod trawler out of Stamsund. An Aussie I met up there, Graeme Olsen of CSIRO, cycling in the area in 1979, gave me a description about being almost being unable to breath.
Stamsund has probably one of the best YHA's in the world. Very cheap with free rowing boat hire. The web suggests it may still be operating, run by the legendary Roar Justad. A place to which some have returned to over many years. Very peaceful, an old fishermans quarters built on the water. You always come back with a few fish in the boat; no bait needed! Cod are attracted to the shiny hook.
I've read of climbing to be done in the area. Not my bag.

Oops: Looked at a map. The whole area's south of Trondheim so mozzie's aren't the issue they famously are, above the circle. Never realized such wild scenery existed so far south, east of the main drag.
Last edited by vagrom on Sun 05 May, 2013 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Surgite et .. andiamo!
vagrom

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: WalkingSA, Frnd Cleland/Bushcare, Alltrails
Region: South Australia

Postby ofuros » Fri 03 May, 2013 7:31 am

Never made it to Norway when i was in europe......wish i had after seeing your pics, nic. :mrgreen:

via the information highway.......
Mountain views are good for my soul...& getting to them is good for my waistline !
https://ofuros.exposure.co/
ofuros
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Queensland

Return to Gallery