Snakes are fascinating

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

Snakes are fascinating

Postby taswegian » Sun 17 Mar, 2013 6:30 pm

A few weeks back I saw a live one near where I found this today. Got a pic but only of his last 2/3rds.
Looked big enough to fit this fellas leaveoffs.
It measure 1150mm with a couple bends so guess he'd be a genuine 4 footer.
Love to see this happen and not just find the remnants.
P3171065.EJPG.jpg

P3171070E.JPG
Front on closeup

P3171068e.JPG

Thats the second skin I've found in last 2 weeks here. Wife not impressed! :x

As I was taking the top photo the tail started moving back and forwards slightly. Must have been a very light breeze.
It looked a bit creepy gazing through the viewfinder and see that happen.
taswegian
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Re: Snakes are fascinating

Postby iandsmith » Mon 08 Apr, 2013 11:37 am

Wife not impressed? You'll have to stop taking them home!
iandsmith
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby taswegian » Mon 08 Apr, 2013 1:30 pm

I saw the snake again yesterday curled up in an incredible tight spiral on itself.
Bit like the way a softserve comes out of the dispenser.
Guess it was preserving heat. Have never seen such a big snake so tightly curled.
I'm curious as to their range? Anyone with ideas?
taswegian

Postby Nuts » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 10:18 am

That's a pretty impressive skin I don't think iv'e seen one complete. I'm not a snake enthusiast but they are fascinating. I was sitting on a log near Lk Ayr watching a large tiger taking a break in slouthing its skin. It had slipped in behind my heels under the log, neither of us were going anywhere in a hurry. What I noticed (in the lifetime it took to move on) was how they (must) regulate body temperature on a hot day by adjusting the amount of body in the sun. It occasionally pushing out or retrieving a bend or two.

Iv'e always told people that they are territorial, having a short route from heavy cover through their hunting grounds that they follow each day?? I'm not sure who told me this, perhaps a doco or read the notes from a study.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jackhinde » Tue 09 Apr, 2013 11:12 am

Elapid skins are typically about 10 to 20 percent longer than the snake that shed them and a re therefore an unrealiable means of determining length. None the less it would have been an impressive animal. Yes they are territorial, territory size dependent on food and cover availibility.
jackhinde
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby seakar » Mon 22 Apr, 2013 7:03 pm

on regulating temperature... spotted this one taking a swim while i was parked in Lady bay. (Stuarts Bay) it swam from the point out on Lady bay all the way back to Stuarts bay lodge.
P1010249cropped.JPG
recent expeditions: Mt.Maria, Clemes Pk-Lichen Hill, Schouten is, Adamsons Peak, Mt.Strzelecki, Davey River
seakar
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Gallery