My latest trip with Hammock

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

My latest trip with Hammock

Postby Davekyn » Wed 09 Jan, 2013 8:57 pm

Just wanted to see how light I could go with the hammock. I was pleasantly surprised I as made it to the summit of Tabletop mountain in Toowoomba. I do apologize that my pictures are not splashed with the latest craze of HDR ... Your simply going to have to view it as I saw. :roll: Seriously ... I can snap out a few HDR's and will upload on Album later ... ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz However although I can merge a few shots and utilize Magic Lantern from my camera ... I think it sucks just how much we seem to color our lives these day. Can't even watch a movie without questioning what it would be like to see the real thing. Anyways ... each to their own, and this is my own ... Lets just settle for a little contrast enhancement and some sharpening hey. :wink: HDR is great, but too sweet when overdone.

OH YEA ... I also cut and paste from another forum because I am to tired to redo ... AS IS ... Hi NqIII

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71988794@N08/8363258235/in/photostream/lightbox/
[CENTER]Unfortunately since my pro account has ceased, I can no longer show full size:[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Try above link?
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
from Tabletop_Panorama1 by L_Plate_Dave, on Flickr[/CENTER]

I'm absolutely worn out guys ... here are just a few shots that I have manage to process and upload thus far ... I intend to make an album later that I can share for those of you, whom have a face book account.

I was happy to finally capture a decent flight of a bush Moth/Butterfly. It was such a fluke in manual mode to snap him in focus and with just enough exposure and shutter speed ... you can actually soo the little fella with his tongue out .. LOL ...

[CENTER]Image
Buterfly-Moth by L_Plate_Dave, on Flickr[/CENTER]

I went off track again after seeing some black boys through the barb wire fence. I'm talking about an Australian native grass tree; otherwise known as Black Boys. (If such upsets you, Admin is only a PM away :0)- ) ... It takes a whole year to grow 1cm, so the ones picture are quite old. I'm ... just ... managing to hold stead as I stand on a steep incline. They are about 7 to 12 feet tall:

[CENTER]Image
Fauna by L_Plate_Dave, on Flickr[/CENTER]

This is the road to which I jump the wire fence on the left to capture the natives ... The road goes down in elevation as it approaches Tabletop Mountain in the background. I'll post some more picks on that walk soon enough ... ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz:

[CENTER]Image
Tabletop 025 by L_Plate_Dave, on Flickr[/CENTER]

This is the gear I took up to the summit with me. The Grey bag on my hip belt is were I carry my food. Attached to the belt is also a tool knife kit and my DSLR camera Holster.

I carry a 3litre hydration Pack on my front chest with an additional 2liter bladder in my nap sack. I also use a 500ml collapsible container as well as a 600ml steel bottle. I can tell you I consumed both bladder through out the day. Temperature was quite hot under the Australian Summer Sun!!! I failed to ware a collar ... next time I will do so.

In my nap sack is a Delux Hennessy Hammock, large Windshield reflector for my Radiant mat and a summer sleeping bag. I am also carry a fly for the hammock as well. Other items include, Toilet Paper, Rain Cover for Bag, Poncho for rain, Torch, Insect repellant, Snake Bite Kit, Iphone plus Ear Buds and of-course my luxury item ... 7" Google Nexus Tab.

Other than that ... Sun Glasses and Hat (Next time SunScreen!!!!!)

That chair you can see, only weight 500Grams and is the best out of several chairs I have tried hiking with. I am 105kg and can rock backwards and forward in it. It is made to recline and simply find the sweet spot with your front feet ... compare to sitting on rocks and or with the insects on the ground ... it is absolutely pain free. You can also sit up straight and bend slight over a small cook set as well ... I also like this position when I eat. Very versatile and strong for it's weight. Fits into the side pocket of my nap sack with a tie around the top half.

Will upload Album when I recover ... : )

[CENTER]Image
Gear by L_Plate_Dave, on Flickr[/CENTER]
The best signature, is none.
Davekyn
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Re: My latest trip with Hammock

Postby nq111 » Thu 10 Jan, 2013 6:03 pm

Cool

Davekyn wrote:I carry a 3litre hydration Pack on my front chest with an additional 2liter bladder in my nap sack. I also use a 500ml collapsible container as well as a 600ml steel bottle. I can tell you I consumed both bladder through out the day. Temperature was quite hot under the Australian Summer Sun!!! I failed to ware a collar ... next time I will do so.

In my nap sack is a Delux Hennessy Hammock, large Windshield reflector for my Radiant mat and a summer sleeping bag. I am also carry a fly for the hammock as well. Other items include, Toilet Paper, Rain Cover for Bag, Poncho for rain, Torch, Insect repellant, Snake Bite Kit, Iphone plus Ear Buds and of-course my luxury item ... 7" Google Nexus Tab.

Other than that ... Sun Glasses and Hat (Next time SunScreen!!!!!)

Try soft drink bottles for water. Tough and light. Or the S2S pactaps are great if you have the budget (better for packability). Nothing like walking in QLD where over half your pack weight is water :)

For headgear if you can bare looking like a bit of a tool, two buffs or headsocks (one from neck up over nose, other like a bandana down to the eyebrows). Despite what you may expect, this is not hot at all (provided you get a tight fit over your mouth so your breath goes all out through the material and does not swirl around the rest of your head), keeps the sweat out of the eyes and gives perfect sun protection without the danger of forgetting to put more sun cream on in time.
nq111
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Pteropus » Mon 14 Jan, 2013 10:23 am

Very nice shot of the butterfly! I have tried in vain to photograph butterflies in flight. It looks like one of the swallowtails, perhaps a chequered swallowtail...but I am not sure.

Davekyn wrote: ...I went off track again after seeing some black boys through the barb wire fence. I'm talking about an Australian native grass tree; otherwise known as Black Boys. (If such upsets you, Admin is only a PM away :0)- )

Yeah, no one calls them that anymore, probably best to stick with grass trees, or Xanthorrhoea. When I was a horticulturist in a previous life, a bloke who worked with us had some Aboriginal ancestry and took offence to the the other fellas calling the Xanthorrhoeas black boys. So you never know who might take offence to that.

So no pics of the hammock set up?
Pteropus
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australia

Postby Davekyn » Wed 06 Feb, 2013 7:22 am

Yes they do Mate and they also use a lot of other words that you most likely claim that is not in use. I was born and bred in the Bush ... if I have an issue with treading on some individuals toes, I'll take the opportunity to deal with it then ... I have never had such issues about the use of my lingo. Often it is more an issue for others than those that they imply to take offense. If people did not focus on it so much we probably we not be so sensitive in the first place ...that was my meaning for ever making a point. That use of the language is nothing compared to much more that comes from the mouth of an unevolved rural bloke. I'll speak as I see fit and please be advised that not all us folk have been muzzled like so.

No no pics of the Hammock.
That's right.

It was a Tree thing! LOL
The best signature, is none.
Davekyn
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to Gallery