Fungi in the Dandenong Ranges

Bushwalking pictures.
Forum rules
Please keep the width of embedded images (using [img] [/img] tags) in this forum to no more than 800 pixels wide (this will avoid them being clipped without notice by most users' window sizes). Attached images can be any resolution so long as the file size is no more than 1 MB (attachments will be displayed by the forums as thumbnails no larger than 800 pixels linked to the full-size image).

Please include a description of the pictures' content so that readers know what they're all about.

For topics focussed on narrative rather than the photos, please consider posting in one of the 'Trip Report' forums instead.

Fungi in the Dandenong Ranges

Postby MickyB » Sat 12 Apr, 2014 4:47 pm

I decided to go for a walk today on a couple tracks that I had never been on before. The tracks were a bit overgrown but there were a lot of different types of fungi which made the walk worth while.
Attachments
IMG_8004.jpg
IMG_8004.jpg (190.14 KiB) Viewed 12284 times
IMG_8039.jpg
IMG_8062.jpg
IMG_8062.jpg (96 KiB) Viewed 12284 times
IMG_8064.jpg
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Re: Fungi in the Dandenong Ranges

Postby MickyB » Sat 12 Apr, 2014 4:49 pm

A few more
Attachments
IMG_8065.jpg
IMG_8065.jpg (113.97 KiB) Viewed 12283 times
IMG_8072.jpg
IMG_8075.jpg
IMG_8081.jpg
IMG_8081.jpg (149.12 KiB) Viewed 12283 times
Sometimes, I use big words I don't always fully understand in an effort to make myself sound more photosynthesis.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby Snowzone » Sun 13 Apr, 2014 2:35 pm

Very nice Micky B. I like the 3rd shot in the first post, a very beautiful red colour and so delicate looking. The orange peel like ones are also interesting
Snowzone
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby MickyB » Mon 14 Apr, 2014 9:20 am

Thanks Snowzone. The small red fungi in the 3rd photo was only about 10-15mm tall. It was the only one I saw and only saw it when I went a bit off track to look at some other fungi.

I have no idea the names of any of them. Can anyone recommend a good book identifying fungi in Victoria?
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby peregrinator » Mon 14 Apr, 2014 12:28 pm

MickyB wrote:Thanks Snowzone. The small red fungi in the 3rd photo was only about 10-15mm tall. It was the only one I saw and only saw it when I went a bit off track to look at some other fungi.

I have no idea the names of any of them. Can anyone recommend a good book identifying fungi in Victoria?

There's some information on identification here http://fungimap.org.au

I understand though that mycologists can find it hard to identify many fungi from photographs alone.
peregrinator
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby MickyB » Mon 14 Apr, 2014 1:49 pm

Thanks for the link peregrinator. I had a quick look and it looks like a fantastic site. I will have a better look tonight when I have more time.
peregrinator wrote:I understand though that mycologists can find it hard to identify many fungi from photographs alone.

I can understand that as well. I often get asked (by landscapers, nurseries, botanical gardens etc) to identify ferns, mainly from photographs. Sometimes I need multiple photos to confidently I.D the plant and other times I have absolutely no idea. Location of where the plant is found can help dramatically which is why I want a book about Victorian fungi.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby neilmny » Thu 17 Apr, 2014 6:14 pm

Hey MickyB, I "photographed" this Fungi on the Richardson Track near Wols Track this afternoon. Please forgive the quality it was with my very
basic mobile phone hence photograph in inverted commas. I have no idea what it is but it wasn't there 2 days ago when I walked this part of the track.
It is about 18cm in diameter and 12cm high.

After a quick Google I'll take a swag that it is Amanita ochrophylla. (swag - swinging wildarse guess)

http://www.elfram.com/fungi/fungipics_a.html

17042014.jpg
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MickyB » Thu 17 Apr, 2014 10:42 pm

Thanks for sharing neilmny. That is a big one. Thanks for the link as well. Another great fungi site.

Where is Richardson Track? I know of a Wols Track near Mt Evelyn (never been on it) but never heard of Richardson Track.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby neilmny » Fri 18 Apr, 2014 5:18 am

Yes I guess it is Mt. Evelyn or maybe Silvan. Richardson Track is at the end of Wols. The intersection is approx. 55 H 358122 5813729
Most of the maps of the area are very wrong but the Melways and Vicmap Monbulk show a rough approximation of the tracks in the
area and theres plenty of them. There is some nice walking in there with good steep hills to get the heart rate up.
neilmny
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby MickyB » Sat 03 May, 2014 11:50 pm

Saw these at our local park this morning and thought they were very interesting.
Attachments
IMG_8091.jpg
IMG_8091.jpg (137.77 KiB) Viewed 12040 times
IMG_8094.jpg
IMG_8094.jpg (253.08 KiB) Viewed 12040 times
IMG_8110.jpg
IMG_8110.jpg (183.52 KiB) Viewed 12040 times
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby north-north-west » Sun 04 May, 2014 12:29 pm

A nice lethal little Amanita there, unless I'm very much mistaken. Good way to get rid of flies . . .
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby MickyB » Sun 04 May, 2014 12:41 pm

north-north-west wrote:A nice lethal little Amanita there, unless I'm very much mistaken. Good way to get rid of flies . . .

Thanks NNW. Just Googled that and I think you are 100% correct.

They reminded me of a Smurf house.
MickyB
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Return to Gallery