Murrumbidgee River Crossing River Level

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

Murrumbidgee River Crossing River Level

Postby Joe J » Sat 17 Jun, 2023 8:42 am

Hi

Does anyone know which resource is best to use to check the water level at the Murrumbidgee River crossing near the Bullock Hill Trail? BOM has various river levels of the Murrumbidgee, but I cannot work out which is closest to the AAWT crossing, and what heights would make it a safe crossing.

Thanks
Joe J
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Murrumbidgee River Crossing River Level

Postby Lophophaps » Sun 18 Jun, 2023 11:07 am

These may assist
https://www.industry.nsw.gov.au/water/s ... g-stations
https://www.industry.nsw.gov.au/__data/ ... ch2011.PDF

The second one has ochre triangles for station belonging to ACT Electricity and Water Corporation, but I cannot find them. ACTEWC seem to be the best option. This
www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDN60237/IDN60237.570011.plt.shtml
is a nearby town, but upstream would be better. Also, it's necessary to relate the reading at the station with the depth on the AAWT.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby lorddas » Sun 18 Jun, 2023 9:38 pm

Myself and 5 others crossed through there last Sunday, approx knee high or so... also *&%$#! cold
lorddas
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 19 Jun, 2023 9:12 am

The height when the above crossing could be checked against the highest station on the river. For example, if the station was 650 mm on that day this is around knee deep. Anything less than 650 mm is okay at the crossing, and above may not be. I have crossed very cold rivers in winter - including in the snow - with it taking several hours to warm up the legs. Anything more than just above the knee tends to be a tad risky, especially in fast water.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Return to AAWT