Walhalla or Warburton?

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

Walhalla or Warburton?

Postby Bill P » Fri 24 Mar, 2017 10:44 pm

Just wondering about the relative merits of Warburton vs Walhalla as an AAWT start /end point. Ie using the old Upper Yarra track which joins the AAWT north of Baw Baw near Mt Whitelaw. The section between Warburton and Ida tree looks very good. ( eg "Walk into History") However the section from Ida tree to AAWT appears ill defined and via logging coupes.

Public transport to Warburton is a major appeal to me. Anyone with recent experience of Mt Whitelaw to Ida tree, please?
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Re: Walhalla or Warburton?

Postby walkon » Sat 25 Mar, 2017 7:40 am

Bill P wrote:Just wondering about the relative merits of Warburton vs Walhalla as an AAWT start /end point. Ie using the old Upper Yarra track which joins the AAWT north of Baw Baw near Mt Whitelaw. The section between Warburton and Ida tree looks very good. ( eg "Walk into History") However the section from Ida tree to AAWT appears ill defined and via logging coupes.

Public transport to Warburton is a major appeal to me. Anyone with recent experience of Mt Whitelaw to Ida tree, please?

I don't understand your 'walk into history' comment. Have you actually been into Walhalla? The place is history personified. The track as it stands finishes/starts nicely on walking tracks through an alpine area which is what the walk is named after.
Cheers Walkon

"I live in a very small house, but my windows look out on a very large world."
walkon
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Bill P » Sat 25 Mar, 2017 10:43 am

Hi Walkon, I'm not dismissive of Walhallas history.

The western end of the old Upper Yarra Track is being marketed as the "Walk into History"

https://visityarravalley.com.au/sites/d ... ory_lr.pdf
Bill P
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 26 Apr, 2017 2:30 pm

If you compare both places with Persia or India you may be left wanting in terms of history.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Postby oldpiscator » Wed 26 Apr, 2017 3:14 pm

Only if you are thinking in terms of history from the time of European settlement.
oldpiscator
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby andrewa » Wed 26 Apr, 2017 9:25 pm

My recollection was that the AAWT started in Walhalla, but I haven't walked it for 38 yrs. Maybe starting point has changed???
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby AWTtrekker » Wed 26 Apr, 2017 10:30 pm

Yes Walhalla is still the official starting point. Might be worth an email to Parks Vic. The logging coupes are very active throughout that area and locations change over time so I think you would want to get some fairly recent knowledge if you wanted to travel any route frequented by loggers. We are starting in October from Walhalla and will be getting a family member to drop us off.
AWTtrekker
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lophophaps » Wed 26 Apr, 2017 10:31 pm

The AWT had what was called the Howqua Feeder Track: Sheepyard Flat, Ritchies, Howqua Spur. There were two routes from near Nelse, Duane-T Spur and Timms-Quartz Ridge. In KNP it's generally accepted that one may wander at will around Jagungal and still be deemd to be on the general AAWT route. Most people take the Main Range instead of the road bash.

There's scope for variations, and formally adopting them would be good. There's a suggestion for an AAWT variation to Feathertop, Diamantina Spur, Westons and so to the main pole line. All or nearly could easily be adopted, just admin saying "These are now AAWT variations". Why not?
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby paidal_chalne_vala » Wed 26 Apr, 2017 10:42 pm

Yes, I recognize that Indigenous civilization in Australia is older than India and Persia combined.
paidal_chalne_vala
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: VNPA.BTAC.Friends of Baw Baw.

Return to AAWT