Where to place food drop midway b/n Rumpff Saddle & Hotham?

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

Where to place food drop midway b/n Rumpff Saddle & Hotham?

Postby neoyum » Sat 03 Dec, 2016 2:04 pm

Hi all,
:)
I'm planning a solo walk in the Vic Alps, about 7-10 days, leaving soon. I've walked a lot in Tas, but not at all in Vic. I was injured earlier this year, & had to stop walking. I'm much better now, but still wish/need to be cautious with how much I carry.

I'd need to do at least one food drop between Rumpff & Hotham. I'm wondering if trying to get a drop close to the Mt Speculation campsite is a good idea/possible? Could I drive to Lake Cobbler, then take the drop to near Mt Koonika, or closer to the AAWT, along Speculation Track? What is this track like?

Unfortunately, I only have a 2WD car! Can that make it as far as Lake Cobbler? I read somewhere on some government site that it is not recommended to drive 2WDs past the Bennies as the track is too rough. Is this still/true? overkill?

Is there another place/s that is better for a food drop? Ideally, a choice with minimal walking or pushing my old car along rutted tracks. I've driven my car along a lot of dirt roads in Tassie, but one of these days it's gonna be too much!

Great forum. I've been learning a lot. :)

(ps: I tried to post several important questions weeks ago, but got an error. :( I emailed the admin, but got no reply.
Hope it works this time...)
neoyum
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Victoria

Re: Where to place food drop midway b/n Rumpff Saddle & Hoth

Postby Mark F » Sat 03 Dec, 2016 3:16 pm

I expect that you could get your car up to the start of the track to Macalister Springs from Licola assuming you have reasonable clearance. From there you can walk your drop up towards the springs and Vallejo Gantner Hut (about 5km). This pretty much divides the stage in two and the hut is only a short distance off the AAWT route.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby bigkev » Mon 05 Dec, 2016 5:43 pm

Hi neoyum, I was up at Lake Cobbler last weekend. The road is just passable to a 2wd with highish clearance (e.g. Falcadore) but I think you might stuggle with a smaller front drive vehicle. Do not try and drive the last few hundred metres down to the lake, I had to pull a commodore out that had come to grief on that section. I haven't been in from Licola this year but normally it's doable in a 2wd.

Incidentally I'm doing a food drop next year at Mt Spec, I'm planning on riding in from Lake Cobbler on my Mountain Bike before the tracks open next year.

Cheers
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby damoprz » Mon 05 Dec, 2016 7:13 pm

Mark F wrote:I expect that you could get your car up to the start of the track to Macalister Springs from Licola assuming you have reasonable clearance. From there you can walk your drop up towards the springs and Vallejo Gantner Hut (about 5km). This pretty much divides the stage in two and the hut is only a short distance off the AAWT route.

We got a corolla w/ 5 people to Howitt Plains with no trouble last week.
damoprz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to AAWT