Northern AAWT maps

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

Northern AAWT maps

Postby Lophophaps » Thu 10 Sep, 2015 6:06 pm

Advice is sought about AAWT maps from Tharwa to Mackays Hut. Chapman has good maps and a list of maps, but does not show where the 1:25 borders are. I'm not keen on carrying a map when the AAWT goes across just a corner of it for a few hours of walking. I've seen the 1:25 coverage (showing all the maps in that half of NSW) and cannot determine which maps should and should not be bought. Is there a map showing the 1:25s and the AAWT, or can someone please advise me which maps have only a small section of the track?

Also, are there any map shops to avoid or that are recommended? NSW AAWT are unavailable in the Melbourne BW shops I have visited. TIA.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Region: Victoria

Re: Northern AAWT maps

Postby Mark F » Thu 10 Sep, 2015 8:00 pm

There are 10 lpi 1:25k maps covering this section, several of which are of marginal relevance. Kiandra for one is on the corner of four sheets. For NSW I would suggest that you just use Chapman's maps as you are walking on fire trails at all times. If you are planning side trips then get the relevant geo-pdf from lpi and have it on your phone or print out the section you want.

For the ACT the maps are Rendezvous Creek, Corin Dam and Williamsdale. Be aware that the AAWT route was altered after the 2004? fires and is not correctly shown on these maps. This is particularly true from Tharwa to Booroomba Rocks especially around Bushfold Flats. It is also relevant around Cotter Gap. Chapman is most probably adequate to get you through these bits. The track is quite good for the section though Bushfold Flats but could be a bit overgrown on the section through Cotter Gap.

The ACT maps are part of the NSW lpi series if you are looking for them.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby north-north-west » Fri 11 Sep, 2015 7:52 am

The track is pretty clearly marked there and mostly follows firetrails except for a few sections of dedicated walking tracks in the ACT. The only bit where you really need a good topographical map is the 'cross-country' part from the Murrumbidgee River to the Port Phillip Fire Trail, which is on the Rules Point map. Chapman & Siseman's maps are adequate for the rest.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Lophophaps » Fri 11 Sep, 2015 2:29 pm

Mark and NNW, thanks. It's still early planning, so there's time to get maps.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Postby madmacca » Sat 12 Sep, 2015 9:58 pm

Personally I did it just with Chapman's 1:50K strip maps, although in hindsight it would have been smart to carry a couple of 1:100K maps showing the exit routes. These cover a much bigger area than 1:25Ks and so you only need a handful.
madmacca
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Lophophaps » Mon 14 Sep, 2015 6:53 am

madmacca wrote:Personally I did it just with Chapman's 1:50K strip maps, although in hindsight it would have been smart to carry a couple of 1:100K maps showing the exit routes. These cover a much bigger area than 1:25Ks and so you only need a handful.

Many years ago all we had were 1:100s. The CMA and other 1:50s were beautiful; don't like the 1:25s - too small, need to carry too many of them, need to keep refolding. Having more perspective and escape routes from 1:100s appeals. It looks like Yarrangobilly and Tantangara cover nearly all of the AAWT from Tharwa to Mackays Hut. There's a short secion missing at the start and a few hours on Berridale 1:100, managable.

My Kosciusko 1:100 is edition 3 circa 1980. Tantangara is older, edition 1 circa 1973. Hope the hills and tracks haven't moved like they did for a few other maps. I'll have to start marking the route on the 1:100S.
Lophophaps
Auctorita modica
Auctorita modica

Return to AAWT