Water and condition of the Victorian section of the AAWT

A forum for discussing the Australian Alps Walking Track. This is a 655 km long track from Walhalla (Vic) to Tharwa (ACT)

Water and condition of the Victorian section of the AAWT

Postby Summitview » Fri 24 Oct, 2014 6:23 am

Hi there

There are a number of very helpful posts on the Alpine Walking Track - thank you. It appears a number of us will be walking the track this summer.

A few months ago I spoke to the rangers and DEPI staff responsible for the track in Victoria, and they reported that there has been a lot of work on the track in recent years. The impression I get is that the Viking is now better marked, that previously vague sections between Mt Wills and the Cobberas have been taped, and that debris and fire regrowth has been cleared on most sections. In contrast, I understand the sidles around High Cone and Square Top can be hard to follow (and certainly were when I was there in 2011-12). There is also always the chance of further new fallen debris after winter storms and snowfall.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has walked parts of the Victorian section of the alpine track in the last months, and has identified any parts that are problematic. I am hoping that at this stage water is relatively accessible in the often drier sections west of Mt Hotham, but would appreciate any recent advice as to availability at camping sites where the sources can dry up.

many thanks

Jonathan
Summitview
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Water and condition of the Victorian section of the AAWT

Postby wander » Fri 24 Oct, 2014 6:48 am

I can confirm the Speculation to Viking section is not a problem to follow.

Based on the very large number of tree falls we have over here at KNP I'd say there will be a lot back through the route of the AAWT. Remember the wind storms back in July? and August? It just means more tree yoga.
wander
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: South Australia

Postby rocketrm2 » Fri 24 Oct, 2014 8:09 pm

Have very recently walked Alpine Road to Viking and back (why? very personal reasons)
Lots of fallen timber on the trails and roads. Barry Saddle to Viking is fairly well marked.
As for water, on this section, Selwyn Creek Rd delicious water as per the Chapman, Siseman Book.
The tank at Barry Saddle is full, the little wrigglers included.
It seems some new tanks are present with older ones gone (but I am not an expect) At intersection Selwyn track, East Buffalo rd, East Riley rd just a few meters along the Selwyn track there is a new tank (full) this facility make the junction a great camp place. As for the "W" map 92 I did not see one.
Near the Twins south a new tank at approx E045 N 015( p 100) check I haven't put the numbers wrong way around.
In May I found it hard to find your way around the High Cone, Nobs ok
rocketrm2
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Summitview » Sun 26 Oct, 2014 8:01 pm

Great; thanks to wander and rocketm2 for your posts.

Rocketm2: Just checking: was the delicious water you mention on Canyon Road, just north of Selwyn South? I can't find a Selwyn Creek Road.

And the new tank at Twins South, Chapman's online update has sited at 036019 (on page 100), where the road and track are close. Is this the one you are referring to?

cheers

Jonathan
Summitview
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby north-north-west » Sun 26 Oct, 2014 8:10 pm

Selwyn Creek Road crosses the AAWT some kms east of Mt Selwyn. Probably closer to Mt Murray, actually. The best road surface into the Barries.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby wazzawalkin » Sun 26 Oct, 2014 8:34 pm

Selwyn Creek road crosses the AAWT at the 210.2 Km mark on page 96.

Wazza
wazzawalkin
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby madmacca » Tue 28 Oct, 2014 12:27 am

Chapman's website has updates since the last edition, including GR's for the new tanks. http://www.john.chapman.name/aawt-upd.html

The tanks now make the Barry's pretty straightforward in terms of water.

Probably the toughest section in terms of water is Black River to Chester's Yard - little water is available on track, and you will typically have to descend to get it. Taking the low road between Jamieson-Licola Rd and Rumpff Saddle passes 2 reliable sources. Water is currently available at the foot of Mt Clear, although whether this will last a hot summer is another question.

Most of the more problematic sections have been cleared, although there are still some sections east of Barry Saddle that are overgrown. Of course, you will still regularly encounter deadfall to clamber under/over/around on any section of the track. The regrowth is now getting to the height where the new saplings are competing for light, so what is cleared is now tending to stay cleared more than it did 3-4 years ago.
madmacca

Postby rocketrm2 » Sat 01 Nov, 2014 3:18 pm

Jonathan the answer is yes that is the tank
rocketrm2
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides