Goosefeet Gear Down Socks vs. AEGISMAX Down Slippers

A place to share systematic reviews of bushwalking equipment, services and idea.
Forum rules
Forum rules
This is a place to share fair and systematic reviews of gear. Share the good, bad and ugly as well as including how you tested it and reviewed the gear. This is not the place to carry on about a bit of gear that failed, sometimes good gear has a lemon - this is more about systematic reviews. Although this can be a way to help gear manufactures with feedback, this is not the place to hassle them or ask for money back.

Start each thread with
[tag]Brand, product, RRP in AUD. The tags have two parts the type of gear and type of testing/review. eg
[Sleeping bag | Unboxing] Kmart Summit Hooded $29
[Stove | Field test]Jetboil, flash $150

Suggested review types. Unboxing, field test, 1 year on, stress test, teardown.
If someone else has already reviewed the same product in a similar method then please use the initial thread to include your review. Please note if the gear was provide to you for free, loan, discount or if you paid full RRP.

Goosefeet Gear Down Socks vs. AEGISMAX Down Slippers

Postby butter-nuts » Fri 16 Aug, 2019 11:19 am

I thought I would write a quick review of some Goosefeet Gear Down Socks I recently purchased off the forums. In writing this I ended up writing more of a comparison to the down socks they are replacing, namely the AEGISMAX Down Slippers. I did this as I feel it may be a more useful perspective as there are plenty of reviews already on the internet for both products but no direct comparisons.

Background
I am a cold sleeper and I feel it particularly in my feet, as such I am the perfect candidate for down socks. Not only do they keep me feet nice and warm while sleeping but the luxury of slipping on some down socks at camp on cold and sore feet is one I find hard to beat. For this reason I purchased a pair of AEGISMAX Down Slippers a while ago and have used them on a heap of trips. For the low price (they can be had for around AUD$30 delivered from AliExpress) they have been great, however after my last trip I accidentally threw them in the wash which seems to have had an adverse effect on the down (clumpy and has lost some loft). And so when I saw Moondog55 selling some Goosefeet Gear Down Socks I jumped at the chance to try them out.

First impressions
First impressions were these things are seriously lofty. They puffed up into to massive clouds as soon as I pulled them from the compression sack. Next impression was they are seriously light. Being a weight nerd, first thing I did was throw them on my scales. They weighed in at 89.9g for the pair although it should be noted Moondog55 had slightly modified them adding an elastic cuff, Goosefeet Gear claim the unmodified socks weigh in at 68g. For comparison the AEGISMAX weigh 72.7g. While the weight is comparable the loft is not, the photos don't really do justice to the difference in size, the Goosefeet Gear feel like they puff up to about twice the volume.

Build
The build of of the Goosefeet Gear is top notch, they look great and seem very well made. The fabric of the Goosefeet Gear gear is much nicer against the skin (the AEGISMAX are not as breathable and feel a bit clammy) however when wearing socks as well this is less noticeable. The Goosefeet Gear could happily be warn without socks, however I cannot do this with the AEGISMAX, they are to sweaty and feel really gross against bare skin. The Goosfeet Gear are filled with 850fp goose down where the AEGISMAX use 650fp duck down which explains the difference in loft.

Performance
Performance wise, both are warm comfortable. The Goosefeet Gear are far more lofty which makes them feel softer on the foot and less restrictive although the AEGISMAX are fine (I have slept many nights in them without discomfort). The Goosefeet Gear feature a cuff which helps them stay on and seals the tops which is very nice (made even nicer by Moondog55's modifications). I have not had a chance to test the Goosefeet Gear on the trail yet (I am expecting a trip to Baw Baw in the next few weeks, I will update with impressions soon).

Summary
Overall, the Goosefeet Gear Down Socks are very nice, comfortable and warm down socks which are well made from comfortable materials. If price is not an object I would recommend these whole hardheartedly. However if you are on a tight budget, the AEGISMAX Down Slippers get the job done despite a few shortcomings.

Photos
Untitled.jpg
butter-nuts
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: Goosefeet Gear Down Socks vs. AEGISMAX Down Slippers

Postby andrewa » Fri 16 Aug, 2019 7:39 pm

I’ve ordered some Aegismax booties for “spares” for whichever kid comes snow camping with me, however, I’m planning on upgrading them by making an overboot, with a foam sole, so they can be used around camp, a bit like my Western Mountaineering Expedition Booties. I agree that down booties are wonderful at the end of a day in winter, but,if you can’t go out in the. to have a pee in the snow, then the design is flawed.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby Mark F » Fri 16 Aug, 2019 9:21 pm

I just dragged a couple of pairs of ancient booties out of the "long lost gear box" to add to the comparison. These must be at least 20-30 years old.

Both pairs have a Cordura type fabric base and rand enclosing a foot bed. The Karrimor pair, not actually made by Karrimor, have a nylon outer shell, poly cotton inner Polarguard padding and a felt foot bed for 338 grams the pair, while the others have a Taslan outer, thick ribbed cuff and thick fluffy pile liner with a closed cell foam foot bed for 280 grams the pair. Aimed more for hut use rather than sleeping duties but much better for a night time stroll. Both pairs are too warm for home use.

Booties.JPG
Hut booties
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Heremeahappy1 » Fri 16 Aug, 2019 10:17 pm

Background
I am a cold sleeper and I feel it particularly in my feet, as such I am the perfect candidate for down socks. Not only do they keep me feet nice and warm while sleeping but the luxury of slipping on some down socks at camp on cold and sore feet is one I find hard to beat. For this reason I purchased a pair of AEGISMAX Down Slippers a while ago and have used them on a heap of trips. For the low price (they can be had for around AUD$30 delivered from AliExpress) they have been great, however after my last trip I accidentally threw them in the wash which seems to have had an adverse effect on the down (clumpy and has lost some loft). And so when I saw Moondog55 selling some Goosefeet Gear Down Socks I jumped at the chance to try them out.

First impressions
First impressions were these things are seriously lofty. They puffed up into to massive clouds as soon as I pulled them from the compression sack. Next impression was they are seriously light. Being a weight nerd, first thing I did was throw them on my scales. They weighed in at 89.9g for the pair although it should be noted Moondog55 had slightly modified them adding an elastic cuff, Goosefeet Gear claim the unmodified socks weigh in at 68g. For comparison the AEGISMAX weigh 72.7g. While the weight is comparable the loft is not, the photos don't really do justice to the difference in size, the Goosefeet Gear feel like they puff up to about twice the volume.

Build
The build of of the Goosefeet Gear is top notch, they look great and seem very well made. The fabric of the Goosefeet Gear gear is much nicer against the skin (the AEGISMAX are not as breathable and feel a bit clammy) however when wearing socks as well this is less noticeable. The Goosefeet Gear could happily be warn without socks, however I cannot do this with the AEGISMAX, they are to sweaty and feel really gross against bare skin. The Goosfeet Gear are filled with 850fp goose down where the AEGISMAX use 650fp duck down which explains the difference in loft.

Performance
Performance wise, both are warm comfortable. The Goosefeet Gear are far more lofty which makes them feel softer on the foot and less restrictive although the AEGISMAX are fine (I have slept many nights in them without discomfort). The Goosefeet Gear feature a cuff which helps them stay on and seals the tops which is very nice (made even nicer by Moondog55's modifications). I have not had a chance to test the Goosefeet Gear on the trail yet (I am expecting a trip to Baw Baw in the next few weeks, I will update with impressions soon).

Summary
Overall, the Goosefeet Gear Down Socks are very nice, comfortable and warm down socks which are well made from comfortable materials. If price is not an object I would recommend these whole hardheartedly. However if you are on a tight budget, the AEGISMAX Down Slippers get the job done despite a few shortcomings.

Photos
Untitled.jpg
[/quote]
Nice info. Could I ask for a $ on Moondog55's second hand purchase. Im in the market and hard to make a value for money comparison without this info.
Cheers
HMaH1
Heremeahappy1
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby butter-nuts » Sat 17 Aug, 2019 9:52 am

andrewa wrote:I’m planning on upgrading them by making an overboot, with a foam sole
A

This is an awesome idea! I will definitely do this to my Aegismax. Maybe I can make a basic overboot so they can still be used to sleep in?

Mark F wrote:I just dragged a couple of pairs of ancient
booties out of the "long lost gear box" to add to the comparison. These must be at least 20-30 years old.

Thanks Mark, this was great to see. I can really see the appeal of a sole for but use (and late night calls of nature).

Heremeahappy1 wrote: Nice info. Could I ask for a $ on Moondog55's second hand purchase. Im in the market and hard to make a value for money comparison without this info.
Cheers
HMaH1

I knew I was leaving something out! I bought them off Moondog55 for $55. Brand new they are US$65 with US$15 shipping, making them about AUD$120.
butter-nuts
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 17 Aug, 2019 11:06 am

Well I do think that overboots are a very good idea.
I'd offer you some Thinsulate to make lightly insulated ones but I think the storage tent has leaked so badly it will be all mouldy and mildewed by the time the new garage is built. Hut booties and camp slippers need to be a little warmer than sleeping socks in my experience
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Sat 17 Aug, 2019 11:07 am

Well I do think that overboots are a very good idea.
I'd offer you some Thinsulate to make lightly insulated ones but I think the storage tent has leaked so badly it will be all mouldy and mildewed by the time the new garage is built. Hut booties and camp slippers need to be a little warmer than sleeping socks in my experience
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andrewa » Sat 17 Aug, 2019 6:41 pm

I’m going to try to keep the overboot simple - no insulation, as thebooties provide that. The purpose of the overboot is to keep the bootie dry, and to have a draw (?sp) cord at the top of my calf, so they don’t fall off, which lower booties seem to.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Warin » Sat 17 Aug, 2019 7:32 pm

Closed cell foam does not last long if used on the bottom of your feet - I put some in as a cushion in some shoes and they did not last long at all.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby keithy » Sun 18 Aug, 2019 4:30 pm

I also got the the Aegismax down booties around 2017 when I got my Aegismax goose down quilt.

Not sure if the model has changed since mine though, but mine sheds a lot of down. They are not as warm as my old Thermoball slippers which I misplaced.

I don't wear them without socks, and wear these cheap Daiso fleece socks with rubber dot sole over the top of Aegismax down booties mainly inside hut use. The Daiso socks are under $3.

Daiso Fleece Sock.jpg
Cheap Daiso Fleece Sock
Daiso Fleece Sock.jpg (119.65 KiB) Viewed 33362 times

Daiso fleece sock down.jpg
So much down shed on the inside of the daiso fleece sock
Daiso fleece sock down.jpg (99.65 KiB) Viewed 33362 times
keithy
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Other Country

Postby andrewa » Sun 18 Aug, 2019 5:39 pm

Warin wrote:Closed cell foam does not last long if used on the bottom of your feet - I put some in as a cushion in some shoes and they did not last long at all.

I was planning to put the CCF in a pocket inside the sole of the overbooties, for insulation and comfort - the outer base would be cordura.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Mark F » Sun 18 Aug, 2019 5:47 pm

Warin wrote:Closed cell foam does not last long if used on the bottom of your feet - I put some in as a cushion in some shoes and they did not last long at all.

It depends on the type of ccf and density.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Warin » Sun 18 Aug, 2019 6:18 pm

Mark F wrote:

It depends on the type of ccf and density.

Probably true. I used the stuff that comes with a sleeping mat.. and old torn one, which is what I and many others would have in the cupboard.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Gear Reviews