IS THIS THE GREATEST BARGAIN ULTRALIGHT BUSHWALKING WATCH?

A place to share systematic reviews of bushwalking equipment, services and idea.
Forum rules
Forum rules
This is a place to share fair and systematic reviews of gear. Share the good, bad and ugly as well as including how you tested it and reviewed the gear. This is not the place to carry on about a bit of gear that failed, sometimes good gear has a lemon - this is more about systematic reviews. Although this can be a way to help gear manufactures with feedback, this is not the place to hassle them or ask for money back.

Start each thread with
[tag]Brand, product, RRP in AUD. The tags have two parts the type of gear and type of testing/review. eg
[Sleeping bag | Unboxing] Kmart Summit Hooded $29
[Stove | Field test]Jetboil, flash $150

Suggested review types. Unboxing, field test, 1 year on, stress test, teardown.
If someone else has already reviewed the same product in a similar method then please use the initial thread to include your review. Please note if the gear was provide to you for free, loan, discount or if you paid full RRP.

IS THIS THE GREATEST BARGAIN ULTRALIGHT BUSHWALKING WATCH?

Postby Lamont » Tue 06 Nov, 2018 5:38 pm

This is not an affiliate link, I make nothing from this.

This really should go in the "ULTRALIGHT SECTION" for people with a baseweight of 4.5 kilograms, for whom minimising weight (even though wornweight in this case) is paramount - but as a review I put it here.

https://www.casio.com/products/watches/classic/f91w-1. Bought for $15 off Amazon before the crash.

IT IS AN "ULTRALIGHT CLASSIC!"
Weight-- An ethereal 20 GRAMS!
Yes, a total of 20 Grams.
Case thickness --7mm. Yep, only 7mm.

SO IS THIS THE GREATEST BARGAIN "ULTRALIGHT BUSHWALKING WATCH?" The answer is no, but it's close.

I have worn this on about 45-50 nights walking in the past year and cannot kill it-it is the cockroach of watches!
It has also been my daily wear watch for the past year. I do not have a sedentary job and am on my feet moving around all the time.

Get home filthy, jump in the shower and forget to take it off-no problem. Also showered with it each day for the last year. It says splash proof -I say not!
Wash your legs in a stream and get some water on it- forget about it-no problem! Done it many a time.
As it is almost always under a sleeve it has some protection, I wore a Gshock Casio for the year before that and the size of that thing drove me crazy.
Bump it on a log/rock- all fine (well done it a few times, scratched it, and still fine, but you get the idea).

Yes, it looks like a kids watch- But this is an "Utralight" review, and it is thin and tiny-but it works and it just grabs me.

No GPS help, no fit bitting, nothing you don't need (I am sure many may think this wrong) and everything you do.
And best of all it has proven a tough little bugger! And all for only 20 grams!

Timer-timing my soaking cous cous?
Stopwatch-bugger, how long did it take me to walk up this hill? Did it take me longer than last time?
Alarm-if I get up at 5am I can be at the Anakie general store for home made dimmies for smoko.
Backlight-waking in the dark, do I just get up or have I just fallen asleep?-@#$^%$# FAIL-I can't read the thing! It's cold, I am not sticking my hand out to read the phone!

So let me introduce you to the new champ.
Meet .......the ILLUMINATOR
https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B0 ... UTF8&psc=1
Basically the same watch BUT has an EXCELLENT BACKLIGHT and is more water proof resistant.
I received mine yesterday.
The backlight really is stellar, budda bing!
It looks exactly the same, however, I have a surfer friend who has used this watch, (it says WP to 50m, any surfer, as I am, will tell you you need 100m to ensure water tightness) some times twice a day, for a year in often big surf (TV type stuff) and no leaks or problems through winter or any season for that matter.
Is it fashionable -NO
Is it Ultralight-YES
Do you need it-well at least think about it- the big, blokey, bulky, GPS, fitty bitty, leather covered time piece might just have had it's day!
So I say the Queen/King is dead,
Long live the Queen/King!
The Casio Illuminator.
Last edited by Lamont on Tue 06 Nov, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Re: IS THIS THE GREATEST BARGAIN ULTRALIGHT BUSHWALKING WATC

Postby Hiking Noob » Tue 06 Nov, 2018 7:00 pm

Haha, I remember my brother having one of them when we were kids, I'll have to ask him how it died.

This was my favourite unkillable watch, not light but it was tough! It copped a few flying bricks directly to the face or whacks on brick stacks when someone yells "brick" and you turn around as quick as possible to catch the said brick. Wasn't a bricky's labourer for long :D
Watch.jpg
Watch.jpg (264.88 KiB) Viewed 22159 times

Sadly neglect killed it, I removed the battery but didn't screw the rear cover back on to the case, it found it's way between a wardrobe and a wall and filled with dust :(

I prefer some sort of bezel to reduce the number of impacts the face sees, if I bought something just for walking it would be something more like this-
https://www.amazon.com.au/Timex-T5K359- ... ords=timex
Hiking Noob
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby Lamont » Tue 06 Nov, 2018 8:06 pm

I doubt it's truly dead noob-probably waiting to be resurrected with a new battery!
There is a reason Casio has stuck with this specific model for decades.
Check the thousands of positive reviews on Amazon.
This particular miniscule model watch doesn't seem to die. Change the battery once every few years and off it goes again.
20 grams and only 7mm thick-pure Ultralight gold.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Hiking Noob » Tue 06 Nov, 2018 8:17 pm

Wow, three and a half thousand reviews with an average of 4.5 stars, now that is impressive!
Hiking Noob
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: New South Wales

Return to Gear Reviews