Wilderness Threadworks Sonder 2018

A place to share systematic reviews of bushwalking equipment, services and idea.
Forum rules
Forum rules
This is a place to share fair and systematic reviews of gear. Share the good, bad and ugly as well as including how you tested it and reviewed the gear. This is not the place to carry on about a bit of gear that failed, sometimes good gear has a lemon - this is more about systematic reviews. Although this can be a way to help gear manufactures with feedback, this is not the place to hassle them or ask for money back.

Start each thread with
[tag]Brand, product, RRP in AUD. The tags have two parts the type of gear and type of testing/review. eg
[Sleeping bag | Unboxing] Kmart Summit Hooded $29
[Stove | Field test]Jetboil, flash $150

Suggested review types. Unboxing, field test, 1 year on, stress test, teardown.
If someone else has already reviewed the same product in a similar method then please use the initial thread to include your review. Please note if the gear was provide to you for free, loan, discount or if you paid full RRP.

Wilderness Threadworks Sonder 2018

Postby crollsurf » Sun 27 May, 2018 12:46 am

There is nothing out there on the Wilderness Threadworks Sondor 36L so I thought I would give a review on the pack. The best way to review this pack, is to compare it with the well respected Mountain Laurel Designs (MLD) Burn 38L.

Both target the weekend/long weekend ultra-light market. They are similar in design and volume, frameless and weigh under 0.5kg. Both can hold 1.5l bottles in the side pockets. Both are rain-proof and are well crafted.

The Sonder strengths:
A lot cheaper than the Burn, approx $80 AUD cheaper delivered.
Lead in times are 3-4 weeks as opposed to 16 weeks (MLD say 8-12).
Accessing water from the side pockets is good. I found accessing water from the Burn impossible.
The Sonder just feels a lot more durable. I've researched this and the ripstop is good, and the abrasive qualities are exceptional.
The Sonder is 2 litres smaller but appears a fraction wider and deeper. This allowed my EE Revelation -6C to sit square at the bottom of the pack. And everyting else just seemed to be a better fit.
Neither of these packs work well if you "stuff" everything into them but the Sonder held it's shape better. It didn't barrel as much.
On paper, the Burn has better shoulder straps but I found the Sonder shoulder staps more comfortable, maybe due to barrelling mentioned above.

The Burn strengths:
Lighter, advertised weight is 370g but delivered with a shoulder pocket (for water), and sternum strap is 435g. So 45g lighter than the Sonder at 480g.
Top rollup clips to the side which is nicer than the dry-bag rollup of the Sonder and collects less water.
The Sonder hip belt I am more than happy with but the Burn wings are more comfortable if you want to load these packs up. The Sonder hip belt is removable. So is the Burn but the removable version does not come with the wings.
The Sterum strap is the same except the whistle works better.

If I was to choose just one, it would be the Sonder. I feel it is more durable and access to water wins over over the Burn, which is lighter.

I think the Sonder is perfect for 2-4 day walks for UL walkers, definately when walking overgrown tracks or off-track with the understanding that it is an UL pack, so it wont last as long as a dedicated scrub basher.
Sonder side.png

Sonder top.png
Bent over to show how the top rolls up
Sonder top.png (1016.05 KiB) Viewed 47357 times

The pack shown is XL Torso and hip. My son in the photos is 6 foot tall. A think a large would have been a better fit but the XL for me at 6'2" is spot on
Attachments
Sonder back.png
Last edited by crollsurf on Mon 28 May, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Wilderness Threadworks Sonder 2018

Postby crollsurf » Sun 27 May, 2018 10:02 am

Here a couple of close up shots of the materials used
Sonder material strap.png
Shoulder Strap
Sonder material strap.png (1.16 MiB) Viewed 47357 times

Sonder material.png
Main pack material

And finally a customisation I got Dan to include ($15) to secure the bottles when having to push through scrub
Sonder customisation.jpg
Last edited by crollsurf on Mon 28 May, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby threshold » Mon 28 May, 2018 2:19 am

What size water bottle do you fit in the shoulder strap?

Pretty interested in one of these! Looks the goods and Aussie made to boot! Thanks for your review :)
threshold
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby crollsurf » Mon 28 May, 2018 8:29 am

Hi threshold, I got the MLD shoulder pocket because I already knew accessing water was a pain with the Burn. It holds a 600ml soft drink bottle comfortably. I've also tried a soft bottle but it was a bit fiddly to get back in the pocket.

Don't know about the Wilderness Threadworks one but you could always ask Dan, he is very helpful
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Tue 19 Jun, 2018 3:14 pm

A really thoughtful review -thanks for taking the time.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Eljimberino » Thu 12 Jul, 2018 3:59 pm

Have a MLD core and a Burn. I've had a Palante Simple and a GG Kumo (and heaps of bigger packs).
They all work well and it comes down to personal preference.

The trick with the Burn water bottle pockets is to use tapered bottles upside down.

I can get six days worth of food and minus zero sleeping set up in the Burn.

MLD shoulder pockets are rubbish. Zpacks are much better in my experience.

The way the Sonder is sitting on his shoulders doesn't look right. Maybe it's the bigger torso length?

Also, ditch the hip belt. They are useless and inhibit proper walking.

Nice to know there's a local option. I'll consider the Sonder in future. Thanks.
Eljimberino
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby crollsurf » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 11:32 am

Good tip Eljim re carrying water bottles upside down although I'd be nervious about that for a short while. My son was modelling the pack and the XL is just a tad big on him

After 5+ outings now with this pack, I agree, you don't need the hip belt and the only reason I haven't ditched the chest strap as well is because it has a whistle.
No sign of wear, haven't had any need for the customisation as you can cinch the side pockets to lock down your water bottles.

Another really nice feature I've discovered is you can cinch down the back mesh compartment, which gives peice of mind when scrub bashing but at night, stuffed with your puffer jacket, makes an excellent non-slip pillow.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Sat 15 Sep, 2018 1:05 pm

CS
Ha ha I just asked you how it was going on the other thread and found this! :lol:
Good to know you like it and it is going well. Mmm comfy pillow!
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Petew » Mon 29 Apr, 2019 7:23 pm

Is the body of the pack Liteskin 07?

How's it holding up?

Cheers,

Pete
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby crollsurf » Tue 30 Apr, 2019 7:25 am

Petew wrote:Is the body of the pack Liteskin 07?

How's it holding up?

Cheers,

Pete

I believe it was LS07 but not 100% sure. Would have done around 15 days, some bush bashing, rock scrambling and have got hooked up a couple of times crawling under fallen trees. No sign of wear... I'd give it the thumbs up.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Petew » Thu 05 Sep, 2019 5:45 pm

What's the back panel made of? Where the shoulder straps are seen on.
Petew

Postby crollsurf » Thu 05 Sep, 2019 6:59 pm

Petew wrote:What's the back panel made of? Where the shoulder straps are seen on.
Dan has changed the materials he uses now from when this review was written. The current version is a 210D Gridstop material front and back.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Petew » Thu 05 Sep, 2019 7:05 pm

Cool, ta.
Petew

Postby crollsurf » Thu 05 Sep, 2019 7:51 pm

Longer term review which is kind of a mute point seeing as the current offering uses different material.

I love this pack and I'm confident it will last a long time. Very comfortable and travels well alternating on 1 shoulder from time to time when getting later in the day.

Fell in a creek on my back. Just because you've never fallen in a creek doesn't mean you wont :) Anyway, the inside of the pack was 100% dry.

Walked in decent rain for most of a day and the very bottom of the inside of the pack did end up damp/moist. Pretty sure it seeped in through a seam. A bit of seam sealer would fix that but it wasn't enough to worry me.

Removed the hip straps but still got the chest strap for longer walks but be honest it gets in the way a bit when not in use. Still keep the chest strap, it helps lock down the pack when scrambling or skiing.

Dan has since moved away from LS07 and I've read that it can delaminate at high abrasion points but Dan avoided using it in those areas so I haven't seen that problem after 30+ 2-3 day walks.

I've found it a bit big for a daypack and kind of feel like a try-hard, so only use it as an overnighter and longer.

I can't see it being a risk as a scrub basher either. Done a bit and it still shows no sign of wear.

It's excellent and I'm sure the current version is just as good.

crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Petew » Thu 05 Sep, 2019 8:26 pm

I wonder if he has any LS 21....
Petew

Postby Lamont » Thu 05 Sep, 2019 8:28 pm

crollsurf wrote:Walked in decent rain for most of a day and the very bottom of the inside of the pack did end up damp/moist. Pretty sure it seeped in through a seam. A bit of seam sealer would fix that but it wasn't enough to worry me.

Yep, the needle holes will leak especially at the top where the shoulder straps are sown to the back panel with a reinforcing strip. Crolly is right, some sil sealer would do the trick-tape (a la DCF or 'recreational' Xpac) wont adhere.
Had the same thing happen on my Sonder which is VX42 and Cordura 500, just a wee bit seeped in after heavy rain for a few hours. It is also a good idea to roll the top inside rather than as dry bag style. Anywhere there is stitching through both/all layers facing upwards is vulnerable. Small amount of seepage (Nylofume bag inside with my bedding and PJs) but my other stuff was not inside a dry bag and it remained dry. I haven't and wont seam seal, happy thus far. Concur with Crolly-not an issue.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Thu 05 Sep, 2019 8:29 pm

Petew wrote:I wonder if he has any LS 21....

Ask and you shall find out. :D
Just noticed you are in DIY mode. I sewed up some shoulder pockets from 3D spacer mesh one for each shoulder strap. weigh about 3 grams each.
Phone, sunnies, scroggin, Inreach, book featuring the wisdom of Tony Abbott -whatever.
Perfect.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby crollsurf » Thu 05 Sep, 2019 8:41 pm

I didn't have that problem with the shoulder straps Lamont but I travel with a broad-brim Tilly so that may have been why.

Petew, Dan is a definite material geek so he would have good reasons for changing to the current 210D. It wouldnt have been about cutting costs. He may have some LS21 but he would happily build you a pack if you provided him with it.

crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Gear Reviews