First purchase from Decathlon - Windshirt

A place to share systematic reviews of bushwalking equipment, services and idea.
Forum rules
Forum rules
This is a place to share fair and systematic reviews of gear. Share the good, bad and ugly as well as including how you tested it and reviewed the gear. This is not the place to carry on about a bit of gear that failed, sometimes good gear has a lemon - this is more about systematic reviews. Although this can be a way to help gear manufactures with feedback, this is not the place to hassle them or ask for money back.

Start each thread with
[tag]Brand, product, RRP in AUD. The tags have two parts the type of gear and type of testing/review. eg
[Sleeping bag | Unboxing] Kmart Summit Hooded $29
[Stove | Field test]Jetboil, flash $150

Suggested review types. Unboxing, field test, 1 year on, stress test, teardown.
If someone else has already reviewed the same product in a similar method then please use the initial thread to include your review. Please note if the gear was provide to you for free, loan, discount or if you paid full RRP.

First purchase from Decathlon - Windshirt

Postby warnabrother » Thu 01 Mar, 2018 10:58 am

Just thought I would post some initial impressions on my purchase experience and product review (initial impressions - am yet to use it)

Purchase Experience - Excellent.. I ordered yesterday around 11am and the item arrive here today before midday. There was an issue with sizing and was emailed right away and correct size in a substitute colour or refund was offered.
Staff replied to my emails very quickly and I am happy with the purchase experience.

Product - This is the jacket/windshirt I bought - https://www.decathlon.com.au/p/8357977_ ... #/12-200-s
For the price, it is great - but if I had paid $100 for it, I would be a little disappointed - there are a few loose stitches here and there (which I can fix) but they don't look like will pull.
The item weight is as described and the overall fit and finish is good.

So overall I'm happy with my purchase.. I've always just used my OR Helium 2 as my "windshirt" but am keen to see how much (if any) more breathable this is..

Some of their gear looks quite good, but as always, you get what you pay for.. but for non critical gear like this, I'm happy to save a little money and try something different..
warnabrother
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: First purchase from Decathlon - Windshirt

Postby Lamont » Thu 01 Mar, 2018 2:59 pm

G'day there,
sounds like a good experience, thanks for the feedback.
Some things I did with my Fauxdini if you wanted to test your shirt before heading out.
When you put your mouth to the material will the air pass through easily? Compare it to a shirt.
Run you arm under the tap with the water steadily increasing, when does the water pass through? I find these will give you some idea. Put a cup of water in a bit of the jacket over a bucket and make a wee bundle/ball and see how hard you can squeeze before you get a few drops thru'
I'm looking forward to some action reports!
Thanks.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby warnabrother » Fri 02 Mar, 2018 7:22 am

Lamont wrote:G'day there,
Some things I did with my Fauxdini if you wanted to test your shirt before heading out.
When you put your mouth to the material will the air pass through easily? Compare it to a shirt.
Run you arm under the tap with the water steadily increasing, when does the water pass through? I find these will give you some idea. Put a cup of water in a bit of the jacket over a bucket and make a wee bundle/ball and see how hard you can squeeze before you get a few drops thru'
I'm looking forward to some action reports!
Thanks.

did these tests last night :D

I could not blow air through the fabric at all !
I had the tap at full pressure and no water passed through
I had to squeeze REALLY hard to get even a drop of water to pass through !

I even filled a 1L wide mouth nalgene and used an elastic band to secure the fabric over the mouth of the bottle and flipped it upside down and left it.. no water passed through..

So, conclusion is that the DWR coating seems ok and the fabric is "my breath" proof :)

It was kinda windy last night at my house and wearing it outside it did exactly as it says on the packet :lol: - I felt no wind on me at all.. will test in the bush this weekend and report back.. but for $30 odd and overnight shipping, not sure why you would buy one off AliExpress
warnabrother
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 02 Mar, 2018 7:38 am

Is the fit generous?
I need a hooded windproof for this winter but nothing seems to fit in this price range
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Fri 02 Mar, 2018 7:51 am

Moondog55 wrote:Is the fit generous?
I need a hooded windproof for this winter but nothing seems to fit in this price range

Have you seen this Moondog? - https://enlightenedequipment.com/copperfield-wind-shirt/
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Moondog55 » Fri 02 Mar, 2018 8:14 am

I have, definitely not my pricepoint.
For some reason I seem to be really quite hard on my windshirts, So I now only look at cheap ones. I was in Uniqlo Werribee yesterday and would have bought one there but the largest they had was an XXL Asian fit and the nice young Japanese sales girl laughed when i asked if they had anything that would fit my shoulders and apologised for not having anything wide enough in the chest and shoulders Which is weird as the XXXL down parka fits me quite well
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby PedalRoll » Fri 02 Mar, 2018 9:35 am

I like this also. Probably going to order one later today.

https://m.decathlon.com.au/p/8359054_he ... escription
PedalRoll
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Postby warnabrother » Fri 02 Mar, 2018 10:18 am

PedalRoll wrote:I like this also. Probably going to order one later today.

https://m.decathlon.com.au/p/8359054_he ... escription

that is the one I originally ordered but they do not have many sizes - their website lists them as having them, but they actually are out of stock of XL
warnabrother
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Fri 02 Mar, 2018 3:47 pm

G'day WarnerB, sounds like you found just what you are after. Well done. Thank you for your feedback!
I find myself in a (strange for many people probably) situation where I do want some air to pass through so that I can walk quite hard and it will release some heat but block strongish wind. I am interested to hear how much heat it holds when walking hard. Do you think it has DWR or is nylon/ PU? I have recently found a very thin fleece over merino to be the best wind (breathable) blocker, for me, which will release some heat and sweaty air and keep me dry and warm. I put the Fauxdini from BPL on if the wind comes up beyond that-it is very breathable.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby warnabrother » Fri 02 Mar, 2018 5:25 pm

Lamont wrote:G'day WarnerB, sounds like you found just what you are after. Well done. Thank you for your feedback!
I find myself in a (strange for many people probably) situation where I do want some air to pass through so that I can walk quite hard and it will release some heat but block strongish wind. I am interested to hear how much heat it holds when walking hard. Do you think it has DWR or is nylon/ PU? I have recently found a very thin fleece over merino to be the best wind (breathable) blocker, for me, which will release some heat and sweaty air and keep me dry and warm. I put the Fauxdini from BPL on if the wind comes up beyond that-it is very breathable.

It is advertised as DWR coated.. and breathable.. the model that I bought has small vent holes under the arm which should work well to vent some heat.. the breathability will be tested this weekend.. but this is really only for use in sunny, winter conditions (for me)
warnabrother
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby warnabrother » Fri 02 Mar, 2018 5:25 pm

Moondog55 wrote:Is the fit generous?

No, definitely not generous.. it is typical Asian sizing..
warnabrother
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Lamont » Fri 02 Mar, 2018 5:59 pm

Have some good walking.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lamont » Tue 24 Apr, 2018 8:14 am

Come on WB where's the review for that shirt ? Tell us how it went. I reckon you would sweat up a storm when active in this-did you?
Or was the review for purchasing thru' Decathlon ?
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Gear Reviews