Guided NZ Feb/March

Forum rules
Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Guided NZ Feb/March

Postby Joel » Sat 12 Jul, 2008 10:44 pm

Looking for expressions of interest. 2 or 3 people
Wondering if there is anyone interested in doing a ten dayor eight day guided FIFO trip to the Southern Alps, Exact destination depending on skill and fitness levels.
Suitable for people with no climbing/mountaineering exp. but good to high fitness levels.
Trip focusing on :
- route selection/nav.
- glacier travel
- weather forcasting and analysis
- avalanche awareness
- alpine rock climbing
- crevasse/alpine rescue
- emergency shelters
This is not exacly a cheap exercise, but will be worth it.
$1965 aus dollars pp with four people for a 10 day trip (two day weather contingency)
$2280 aus dollars pp with two people for an eight day trip (1 day weather contingency)
Includes permits, air access, meals/energy food, hut fees, technical equipment, instruction manuals.
Other equipment can be hired, but it's basic and most tasmanians would probably have the majority of it already.
Let me know
Joel
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Guided NZ Feb/March

Postby Damien » Sun 13 Jul, 2008 11:36 am

Joel,

Which company are you consider doing this with and in what area? ie. Mt Cook, Mt Aspiring, West Coast (Franz/Fox)?
Damien
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New Zealand

Postby Joel » Sun 13 Jul, 2008 12:50 pm

Aspirng guides and probably around fransz josef.
Joel
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Damien » Sun 13 Jul, 2008 1:21 pm

I'm considering doing the same course in the next 12-18 months. I'm unsure if I could do it in Feb/March due to work commitments and my fitness isn't up to scratch at this point in time.

I sent an email to someone on AussieMountaineers (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/aussiemountaineers/) who did the course last year, she thoroughly enjoyed it and her photos can be found here: http://imageevent.com/jburton/newzealand/mountaineering

And here's a copy of the email she sent me:

Hi Damien,

I went with Aspiring Guides who are based in Wanaka. I whole-heartedly recommend them as not only were they professional and very knowledgeable, but they are also down to earth, friendly people whose company I enjoyed very much. My guide's name is Jo Haines, and I was also very impressed with Marty Beare, who we shared the hut with for a few days. Here is the link to their website. http://www.aspiringguides.com/

Cheers - Julie
Damien
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: New Zealand

Postby Joel » Sun 13 Jul, 2008 4:24 pm

I've never heard a bad word spoken about the company. I'm sure it will be a fantastic experience.
It's alot of money for me to pay but I really think it will be good value and with partial payments until jan09 it wont be too hard.
I really hope someone is keen and volunteers over the next couple of months.
If not I'm going to do the Mountain Skills Course with them, but private intruction seems like better value for money.
Joel
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to New Zealand