Tramping NZ in May/June

Forum rules
Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Tramping NZ in May/June

Postby kozevian » Wed 04 Jan, 2012 6:13 pm

Hi all,

I am considering an adventure to New Zealand in May sometime for 4-6 weeks. I plan to spend most of my time tramping about on several multi-day ventures. I have not pinpointed any exact hikes yet, but I was wondering (as most multi-day hikes seem to cross into alpine and often exposed areas) if the snow cover limits alot of the higher altitude peaks at this time of year thus rendering the walk impassable.

I do not have alot of experience walking with snow other than my extensive ski experience and I realize that specialized shoes may need to be purchased.

I will be spending the majority of my time on the South Island.

I was wondering if any of you could help shed some light on my situation and perhaps a tidbit or two of information on how many hikes are feasible in this time (I will have a car).
kozevian
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Re: Tramping NZ in May/June

Postby wayno » Sun 08 Jan, 2012 11:18 am

all depends on how much snow falls. there might not be much yet at that time of year, so you might get away with a bit
hollyford track is an all year low altitude track, safest bet is in the northern end of the south island, abel tasman, kahurangi, marlborough sounds, richmond ranges, nelson lakes areas, again what you'd end up doing will depend on how much snow has fallen so make plans for both conditions based on speaking to doc about the time you're going in.
lots of valleys to walk in the areas i described above if the tops are too snowed in for you.
heaphy track is passable most of the year.
further south the rees dart could be a good prospect again subject to snow. most of it is as low altitude, it all comes down to how much snow is on the rees saddle
greenstone caples are pretty good bets. the upper caples can't be completed in heavy rain. again the milford could be doable if you can get in before big dumps.
in south westland you've got tracks like the Paringa track at low altitude. some good valleys up and down the west coast to look at copeland valley is good, with a hot pool at the end,, a lot of the valleys are subject to the weather.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby kozevian » Wed 01 Feb, 2012 10:41 pm

Hey there!

Thanks for the reply. The plan has fallen back to June and I've been doing some research and it seems like I'll be a bit restricted at this time of year at higher altitudes, but of course, as you said, it's all weather dependent. i.e Tasmania comes to mind :)

Also, on another note, I'll be planning on sitting out the winter in NZ. Yourself, or anyone else with any information on availability of work on the snow fields. I'm a very competent skier//snowboarder and was wondering how long it takes to acquire a certificate to teach. I've heard over the course of one winter one may get one. I imagine gaining a casual job on the pistes or lifts may be more feasible on a short term notice.
kozevian
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Tasmania

Postby wayno » Thu 02 Feb, 2012 4:49 am

ruapehu is the biggest skifield. more skiers on ruapehu on a good ay than all the skifields in the south island.. up to 10,000

http://www.mtruapehu.com/winter/employment/

http://www.nzski.com/newsletter.jsp?id= ... 479602CA03
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Return to New Zealand