NZ 12th August until 15th September, recommendations?

Forum rules
Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Postby Tofu_Imprint » Sun 07 Aug, 2011 3:39 pm

Hi all,
Will be in NZ for 5 weeks (minimum, may extend trip time), from the 12th August until 15th september.
Keen to know what walks are recommended in the South Island (as this is where most of our time will be spent)?
I do not have mountaineering training (ice axe, crampons etc), so not looking for anything dangerous.
I understand it's winter, and thats why i'm asking here, where the knowledge is to avoid any walks that are above my skill level.
A fair bit of alpine walking experience in australia though. I do have winter camping equipment, so do not have to be reliant on huts. I do have a PLB/GPS now also. 8)
At this stage going to be hiring a car or campervan, so we can travel anywhere pending weather conditions.
Cheers.
Tofu_Imprint
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Victoria

Re: NZ 12th August until 15th September, recommendations?

Postby Lindsay » Sun 07 Aug, 2011 4:50 pm

Hi Tofu. For a low level walk that avoids the high alpine passes you could do the Greenstone-Caples loop. Takes about 4-5 days and has huts all the way around if you decide you don't want to camp. Check out the NZ DOC site: http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recrea ... es-tracks/
Lindsay
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Tofu_Imprint » Sun 07 Aug, 2011 4:55 pm

Thanks Lindsay,
Not worried about high alpine stuff, so long as it doesn't require mountaineering gear and training (is this everywhere in nz at this time of year?). I've done snow camping/hiking in victoria only.
cheers.
Tofu_Imprint
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby whiskeylover » Sun 07 Aug, 2011 7:12 pm

Just got back from NZ. They have had major snow on the South Island, right down to sea level, making it impossible to get anywhere, let alone go bushwalking in the last two weeks. Not sure what it will be like in two weeks time, you would have to ask a local, but I suspect it's not just high alpine stuff that will be still inaccessible. We stuck to the North Island and even their higher alpine stuff was not possible. Make sure you buy the right cover with your hire vehicle too so you can go above the snow line and on gravel roads, as most non-major roads in NZ are gravel and a 4WD is a must for accessing bushwalks, as only 4WDs with most hire companies are allowed on gravel roads. Absolutely fantastic spectacular scenery though and accommodation etc is cheap, and the exchange rate good, so enjoy.
medicinal purposes only of course
whiskeylover
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Bluegum Mic » Sun 07 Aug, 2011 9:36 pm

Hi tofu,

I second the 4wd hire. If you want to travel up any of the gravel roads especially the ski resorts, they do not allow the campervans up them.

Enjoy your trip. I'll be there from the 23rd to the 2nd. Can't wait :-)
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tofu_Imprint » Sun 07 Aug, 2011 11:18 pm

Hmm,
that's annoying, I just had a skype chat with my mate whos in christchurch, and we'd kind of agreed to get a campervan as it worked out cheaper with four of us.
however, if we're only allowed on sealed roads (is this a hire company thing, or a law?), then that would be pretty crappy.
the campervan comes with chains also.
Tofu_Imprint
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Bluegum Mic » Mon 08 Aug, 2011 7:25 am

Sorry tofu. Misleading post there. I just re read that post (one shouldn't type whilst tired ;-) What I meant was your not allowed to take them up the unsealed roads to the ski fields. You can take them on unsealed roads im sure but if your skiing you'll need to hitch a ride up the hill. I know when 9 of us were traveling around a couple of years ago that's why we avoided them as we were planning to do quite a bit of skiing. Another tip is check your works. One of you may have a corporate discount for the car hire companies. We got 20% off.
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Lizzy » Mon 08 Aug, 2011 7:51 am

How about the Hollyford track. I haven't done it but believe it is a year-round walk and has huts along the way
http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recrea ... ord-track/
Cheers
Lizzy
Lizzy
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Tofu_Imprint » Sun 02 Oct, 2011 10:34 pm

Hey guys,
well NZ was amazing, already planning my next trip.
The weather was a little crazy in places, some tracks were too snowed in for us (only 2 out of four are keen hikers). We stuck to the south island, 2 weeks in a campervan, then 1 week in golden bay with a rental car.

When everyone else went home I did the Heaphy track solo (78km great walk). terrible weather, hail/snow/rain etc!
A beautiful walk, injured my achilles in a mud hole, then managed to give myself achilles tendonitis in both feet (left the worse).
A steep learning curve, pushed myself to hard and this is the result, 6 weeks minimum recovery time. Extremely painful in the beginning and made the last day interesting to say the least. I feel like a dick for not doing the walk in the recommended time (i cut off a day or two), but at least i'll learn the hard way!

i'll post up a more detailed track log/pics if anyones interested later.
Tofu_Imprint
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Return to New Zealand