Te Araroa - Any thoughts?

Forum rules
Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Te Araroa - Any thoughts?

Postby hikingoz » Sat 16 Jul, 2011 6:19 pm

I'm considering taking some serious time off and heading to NZ some time next year. Te Araroa supposedly opens in its compleation at the end of this year.
The thought of hiking 3000k's across the entire length of NZ appeals to me.

Has anyone done similar, in part or whole? Anyone have similar plans?

What would be the best way to do it? It takes 90 to 160 days apparently. Would it be logisticly possible to just walk from one end to the other or would I regularly have to stop for weather and/or impassible conditions.

http://www.teararoa.org.nz/index.cfm
hikingoz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: Te Araroa - Any thoughts?

Postby sef » Thu 21 Jul, 2011 1:38 am

I've done something vaguely similar. Te Araroa is already getting quite a people through -- offhand, at least 20-30 this season, so there should be a few blogs for you to read to get an idea of what it's like. arewenearlythereyet.co.nz are good people.

I wouldn't expect to lose too many days for weather. The track is almost exclusively east of the alps and avoids any significant unbridged crossings, although the logistical challenges in Canterbury might make a sneaky ford of the Rakaia/Rangitata a strong preference. They are big rivers, though. You also don't get on the tops much.

Direction probably doesn't matter much. In most years you could clear every pass on the track without ice axes from November to May. If you're planning more towards the latter, there might be an advantage in heading north.
sef
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Postby jacko1956 » Thu 21 Jul, 2011 9:42 pm

An American hiker with trail name of Canadoug did it earlier this year and recorded it on http://www.trailjournals.com. (another one did too but he seemed more full of his own self importance than the trails and I didn't read much of his journal)
Canadoug's journal is very good and I think in essence his message was that as a new trail it is not really complete and trying to hike it in a "purist" way is not recommended.
His experience indicated that it is good to walk mostly on the trail and don't fret about taking detours as they present themselves or even bussing or similar through the more urban areas.
jacko1956
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby hikingoz » Sat 23 Jul, 2011 1:38 pm

sef wrote:Direction probably doesn't matter much. In most years you could clear every pass on the track without ice axes from November to May. If you're planning more towards the latter, there might be an advantage in heading north.

Are snowshoes, crampons etc common kit? I'm assuming from what you are saying that some areas will have snow most of the year?
hikingoz
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby sef » Mon 25 Jul, 2011 11:13 pm

Some areas will have snow on them most of the year and are safe to cross without any ice gear for four or five months from mid-summer. I doubt a single person this season carried any. In winter would be another story, though

Incidentally, Waiau pass is now cut and poled as part of TA. DOC in that region are broke after the St James purchase (and Anne hut burning...) but will eventually shove in a new hut upstream of Caroline Ck Biv.
sef
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Queensland

Return to New Zealand