Kahurangi NP NZ

Forum rules
Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Kahurangi NP NZ

Postby Joel » Mon 02 Nov, 2009 6:39 pm

Hi, I'm planning a trip into Roaring Lion River in the Kahurangai NP. I'm keen on getting some general info about the tramp from anyone who may have been through.
Joel
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Re: Kahurangi NP NZ

Postby Ciaran » Tue 03 Nov, 2009 9:34 pm

Hi are you doing a particular track, or are you just venturing into the area for a look see? As far as I know from a friend who I tramped with, there are a few routes in the area that cover more than one of the rivers in the park. I know that the Roaring Lion is frequented by whitewater rafters along with other tributaries.
One track I know of is the Leslie-Karamea Track. It is approximately 90km long one way, takes around 5-7 days, highest point around 2000m and has several DOC (Department of Conservation) huts. It can be accessed from a number of points.
Anther is the Wangapeka Track, but I think this is only a short track and can be incorporated into the main track I have mentioned.

You could probably get some more info from http://www.doc.govt.nz but the best track description I have found is at http://www.backcountry.com/new-zealand- ... oute-guide. I reccomend you start here. If you can get hold of the nzWilderness magazine october issue there is an article on track guides for the Kahurangi National Park. Not sure if this will give you much, but you never know.

Looks like a great adventure, hope this helps, good luck. :)
Ciaran
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Ciaran » Tue 03 Nov, 2009 9:50 pm

Just been on the doc site and there is a pdf map of this walk that can be viewed.
Might have to look closer into that one myself.

Thanks for the nudge.
Ciaran
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Joel » Wed 04 Nov, 2009 5:26 pm

Thanks for the reply, I'm going to go in from Flora carpark on the Leslie-Karamea up to Roaring Lion Hut to fish the Roaring Lion river for a week. Hopefully not too many rafters! I'm hoping to perhaps get a glimpse of the Blue Duck somewhere along the way but I feel I may be kidding myself there
Joel
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby DaveNoble » Sat 07 Nov, 2009 10:23 am

A useful guidebook to the area is Derek Shaw's "North West Nelson Tramping Guide"(Nikau Press, 1991). It may be out of print? But it may be possible to find it somewhere. Otherwise - email the DOC office in Nelson or Motueka.

Its a nice walk from the Arthur Tablelands, down to the Roaring Lion (and there is a good bivvy cave on the descent). There was a nice old hut along the river - but I have a feeling it may have burnt down? And there is another hut (perhaps a new one?) at the Karamea junction.

Dave
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to New Zealand