tramping and photography

Forum rules
Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

tramping and photography

Postby nwphil » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 5:23 am

Hi,
about to visit NZ in three weeks, and going a bit nuts trying to figure what and how to carry mostly for the great walks - Kepler, Milford, Routeburn and Northern Circuit(tongariro)
I know, I know, 1st world problems...way too much gear to select from...
I hiked and backpacked before with over 10 pounds of gear, and being that this is not a photo chasing/jolt, I want to keep it reasonable.
Therefore, I will be carrying a mft camera -Olympus pen F
I am debating if it is worth to carry a larger zoom: 40-150mm f2.8. then, I will decide with bringing a 7-14 and 12-40 zooms or a small bunch of compact primes
Most shots I have seen seem to be UWA to WA and maybe mid focal (up to 100mm) range.
Does anyone want to chime in their experiences if shooting with something else other than cellphone?
Thanks
nwphil
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Other Country

Re: tramping and photography

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 10:41 am

What I learnt for myself is, I have regretted every time when I didn’t bring my ‘serious’ camera gears on a significant walk. I regretted for the missed opportunities in capturing the images I saw without the specific gear, typically long lens, wide angle or micro. Nowadays, I mostly carry a midrange zoom of 24mm to 125mm focal length to ensure I am sufficiently wide and have a bit of reach to the distance. If I’m feeling up to it, I’d also bring a compact tele zoom that pushes to 450mm equivalent on the APS-C camera. Yes, there’s an abundance of wide angle images out there and I suspect a part of the reason lies with people’s unwillingness to carry tele lenses. When you do, you’ll be able to frame some fantastic images. As they say, no pain no gain.

Of course, all within reason and have to fit your preferences and objectives of walks.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby nwphil » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 10:55 am

GPSGuided wrote:What I learnt for myself is, I have regretted every time when I didn’t bring my ‘serious’ camera gears on a significant walk. I regretted for the missed opportunities in capturing the images I saw without the specific gear, typically long lens, wide angle or micro. Nowadays, I mostly carry a midrange zoom of 24mm to 125mm focal length to ensure I am sufficiently wide and have a bit of reach to the distance. If I’m feeling up to it, I’d also bring a compact tele zoom that pushes to 450mm equivalent on the APS-C camera. Yes, there’s an abundance of wide angle images out there and I suspect a part of the reason lies with people’s unwillingness to carry tele lenses. When you do, you’ll be able to frame some fantastic images. As they say, no pain no gain.

Of course, all within reason and have to fit your preferences and objectives of walks.

well, I asked for it didn't I? lol
I guess my compromise will be to carry "only the 3 zooms" and leave the backup camera behind....overall is an extra 4-5 pounds with batteries and all

That's my fear, per say, but one cannot carry everything plus the kitchen sink. OTOH, the pro zooms do allow for close up, almost a 1:2, which should be plenty if the flowers are blooming already

Thanks GPS Guided , do appreciate your insights
nwphil
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby GPSGuided » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 4:43 pm

Not so much insight but my personal enjoyment. I value and enjoy photography while some others don’t value as highly, so each will need to find what works for him/her. I think the key for walks is to have a set of gear that’s lighter and accept some compromises. F2.8 variable aperture lens than that fix F2.8 as an example. If APS-C is good enough quality then don’t take that big heavy FX dSLR. I’m sure there’s a sweet spot for all and you. If you enjoy photography, time down the track, the superior and memorable images will make that extra few pounds worth it. Have fun and enjoy your search of the ideal kit for you.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 4:56 pm

it might not stop raining long enough to change lenses when you want to.. it might rain once on the trip.... for several days...
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby nwphil » Sun 21 Oct, 2018 5:35 pm

thanks for the insights guys

bringing a mft is already some compromise, but just my main camera alone is 4 pounds, so...there is indeed a limit or better yet a thin balance line between enjoying it and regretting. Not sure what sucks, not getting the shots because crappy weather despite the gear, or not get them because you left a crucial piece behind..

Changing lenses under the rain is not too bad = better than in silica claded hills
nwphil
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby wayno » Mon 22 Oct, 2018 3:47 am

the rain is just as likely to be horizontal as it is vertical...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 22 Oct, 2018 7:37 am

wayno wrote:the rain is just as likely to be horizontal as it is vertical...
Wayno, have you been stashing those out of production Nikonos there?
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Mon 22 Oct, 2018 11:27 am

I use weather sealed cameras
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GPSGuided » Mon 22 Oct, 2018 1:51 pm

wayno wrote:I use weather sealed cameras
Reassured! LOL

Still can’t justify a ‘tough’ camera for their trimmed features and IQ limitations. Not for me. Prefer something more than just a snap camera.
Just move it!
GPSGuided
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bernieq » Mon 22 Oct, 2018 8:40 pm

nwphil wrote:That's my fear, per say,

FYI, correct spelling is per se - it's Latin.

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby nwphil » Tue 23 Oct, 2018 12:15 am

bernieq wrote:
nwphil wrote:That's my fear, per say,

FYI, correct spelling is per se - it's Latin.

indeed it is, but as you might know, americans blotch everything.... :shock:
( I would be pointed out as a snob if would say that way, aside the fact most people would not get it or would think I was speaking spanglish...)
nwphil
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to New Zealand