Earnslaw Burn

Forum rules
Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Earnslaw Burn

Postby newhue » Thu 13 Jul, 2017 7:06 am

Well it just so happens its part of the Hobbits middle earth, and the kids want to see a bit of Hobbit scenery, and I'd like to deliver. We'd like to camp in the basin first and foremost but I'd rather a circuit than an up and back. I've been looking at a range, or ridge that runs along the East of the Earmnslaw Burn River up to the glacier. Or to be correct its on the true left. To gain the ridge you would kick off from the car park up to point 1256, then follow the ridge to Lennox Pass. From there a 700m scree slope awaits to gain the basin's floor again. I have found a couple Lennox Pass tramps and variations of the ridge I am talking about. Just wondering if anyone on here has had personal experience along its entire length. In the correct conditions it looks easy enough, and its so obvious I thought more info would be about.
newhue
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Earnslaw Burn

Postby wayno » Thu 13 Jul, 2017 11:18 am

from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby newhue » Thu 13 Jul, 2017 9:37 pm

Nice work Wayno, thank you. As with your pics they match the walk I have found by passing through Lennox pass up and over. It seems no one continues south from the pass over peak 1944 to gain the rest of the ridge. In your pics 1944 looks doable via a sidle, as topo's tend to suggest, but perhaps on the ground not so. Good to see plenty of water, possible camping opportunities, and timing of year. Well done, thanks.
newhue
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby wayno » Fri 14 Jul, 2017 3:27 am

if Neil doesnt go there, I wouldnt go there, he and his wife are extremely experienced mountaineers. although he may have missed part of the ridge because he had a less experienced person with him or there were time limitations, but I cant say
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Return to New Zealand