The Long Pathway

Forum rules
Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

The Long Pathway

Postby oldmanwalking » Sat 26 Nov, 2016 10:30 am

A bit of background info, on the off chance that anyone is actually bothering to read this post, or even more remotely, that someone may even be interested…….I have tried a couple of times to achieve my goal of walking the TA (https://www.teararoa.org.nz/) but unfortunately things haven’t exactly gone according to plan, first with injury, second with more injuries and then the dreaded ‘personal issues’, however it seems that now all the stars are aligned and 2017 will be the year I actually get to experience this once in a lifetime walking extravaganza.

And so, the point of this post is to see if anyone else has the same desire, also the time and the money, and who, like me, feel it’s time to finally put the planning into practice?

I’m looking at starting around November 2017, although I am open to other dates due to now being fully retired and have more time on my hands than I know what to do with.

I anticipate the walk will take in the region of 5 months, depending on factors such as weather, injuries and downtime or rest days. So this really is a major commitment to make and not to be taken lightly, especially given the fickle and often atrocious weather NZ is famed for, and although not exactly a ‘spring chicken’ any more I know that such an expedition is still well within my capabilities.

I have ‘tramped’ many of the individual tracks that go to make up the TA and whilst I consider myself experienced enough to undertake this TA solo, I, (read…my wife) feels it’s better if I were to find someone else of similar ilk to tramp with, for safety reasons if nothing else, hence this rather long winded, and I fear, forlorn post.

Should anyone be remotely interested please feel free to contact me.

Thanks for your patience…….!
Trekking: Its all about the memories
oldmanwalking
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: The Long Pathway

Postby geoskid » Sat 26 Nov, 2016 6:04 pm

G'day oldmanwalking,

Very envious, I would love to do a journey like this, however , it is not my time yet.
I did spend an enjoyable couple of hours this afternoon reading about this walk and some of the journals written by those that have done it/ are doing it after following the link you posted.
It strikes me as one of those walks you would meet up with all sorts of people and have the opportunity to walk with others as much as you wanted to.
Personally, I wouldn't undertake this walk even with my best mate for the whole time, let alone a stranger.
At least you have put the feelers out, as requested. :)
Critical Thinking.. the awakening of the intellect to the study of itself.
http://www.criticalthinking.org/
geoskid
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Tasmania

Postby oldmanwalking » Sat 26 Nov, 2016 6:32 pm

Hi geoskid

I understand what you're saying about there being lots of others doing the walk, and there's more every year, but going by the Facebook pages most of them are, shall we say, youngsters, compered to me anyway, and whilst I have no issue with this I am realistic enough to know that we would have little in common other than the trail itself which could be awkward to say the least, plus they'd most likely be a lot quicker than me, and I wouldn't want it to become a race, rather I like to go at my own, or at least a slower, pace.

I agree with you given the numbers it leaves you open to walk with them for as long, or as short as you want, but I'd prefer to have a mate who is more my own age..... but I think this is probably more wishful thinking on my part.

I'm thinking there's little possibility of anyone here actually replying but as you say.....at least I've put it out there.

Cheers....!
oldmanwalking
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby wayno » Sun 27 Nov, 2016 5:02 am

theres plenty of other people doing it numbers are growing massively, several hundred , you'll come across them throughout the trail and may end up teaming up with different people at times.
people form random teams as they go, finding people who go at the same pace...
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby oldmanwalking » Sun 27 Nov, 2016 9:08 am

Cheers Wayno

I appreciate there's more and more people drawn to the trail every year, but as I said earlier the posts on all the FB pages tend to suggest that most, if not all, are of the younger generation......and good luck to them too, I hope they both enjoy the experience, and complete the trail too.

For myself, however, whilst I enjoy solo tramping, it doesn't come without its drawbacks, especially in a country such as NZ, hence my preference would be to team up with someone who I can trust is on the same wavelength as me in both experience and compatibility.....though I am only too aware of just what a long shot this is.
oldmanwalking
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby wayno » Sun 27 Nov, 2016 9:28 am

i know someone in her 60's who did it last year and she fitted right in with everyone else., they don't tend to discriminate.. all you need to be able to do is relate to people...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby oldmanwalking » Sun 27 Nov, 2016 9:33 am

Yeah thanks Wayno......not really sure how to take that....so I'll just take it as a comment....!
oldmanwalking
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby wayno » Sun 27 Nov, 2016 9:37 am

the other walkers take people as they come, they arent likely to ignore you because you're older. if you're reasonably sociable I dont see why you wouldn't fit in. often they dont walk with the same people all the time, they form loose partnerships and can change who they are walking with depending on each others schedules or plans
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby oldmanwalking » Sun 27 Nov, 2016 9:40 am

Again, thanks Wayno.....I'll take that as a comment too......but would also like to add that I am well aware of the social norms.

Cheers
oldmanwalking
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby RonK » Sun 27 Nov, 2016 11:25 pm

Perhaps your forum name reflects your view of yourself. I suspect that (like myself) many of the members here are baby boomers, but don't think themselves old, and don't allow it to deter them. The reality is, the younger demographic is not much interested in walking - bushwalking clubs are finding it very difficult to recruit new young members.

It's certainly not my take that most TA walkers are youngsters. Quite the opposite in fact. I suspect Facebook is a poor guide. Many in the older demographic simply can't stand the superficial banality of Facebook and never use it.

It's a sure bet you'll meet like-minded individuals on the trail, and there will be opportunities to walk together on the difficult sections.

You just need to start...
RonK

Region: Queensland

Postby oldmanwalking » Mon 28 Nov, 2016 5:56 am

A forum name is just that, but if you think that's somehow a self reflection then be my guest.

We obviously read different posts on FB regarding the average age of the people planning and doing the trail, may I suggest you actually take the time to talk to them and you will doubtless come to a similar conclusion that they are by and large of a younger generation, which I should add, I did qualify earlier with the addition of "compered to me".......which simply tells a truth.

I accept, and have accepted that there will be others on the trail but have also spoken of why it is that I posted this post in the first place. Now I really do appreciate everyone's concerns and advice, and I take it all on board, however nobody as yet has actually posted in relation to the post itself.

So, again I take all that has been said as a comment and again express my sincerest thanks for all who have taken the time and trouble to reply.
oldmanwalking
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to New Zealand