Appropriate shoes - Kepler Track NZ

Forum rules
Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Appropriate shoes - Kepler Track NZ

Postby rep628 » Sat 06 Feb, 2016 4:57 pm

Hello everyone,

Just looking for some feedback on appropriate footwear to wear for the full Kepler Circuit later this month. I'm actually a minimalist footwear kind of person - wear Feiyue's for working out; have climbed Beerwah, Tibro and Mt Warning barefoot, as well as climbing shoes for actual bouldering/rock climbing. My current attire makes the idea of hiking boots seem a bit... heavy or excessive, so I'm looking for some guidance on appropriate footwear for this track. It looks quite well established from the photos I have seen, but I doubt if Feiyue's are appropriate (though I would love to go in those if I could!). I know that many brands of hiking boots are not giant clunky things, but that's just what I'm envisioning.

Thank you all for you time and advice
rep628
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Re: Appropriate shoes - Kepler Track NZ

Postby DaveNoble » Sat 06 Feb, 2016 9:30 pm

Light walking shoes
DaveNoble
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Re: Appropriate shoes - Kepler Track NZ

Postby wayno » Sun 07 Feb, 2016 3:51 am

light shoes for those with strong feet and ankles. there's a long steep descent and a lot of up and down generally that i found can leave my feet pretty sore if i'm in very flexible unsupportive footwear. its not going to be a major, but if you're not used to the climbing and descending, expect pretty sore feet.
you dont need heavy weight boots though.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Return to New Zealand