Routeburn Track report

Forum rules
Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Routeburn Track report

Postby bigkev » Sat 12 Dec, 2015 5:02 pm

This was the last walk the I did over in New Zealand last Christmas, and yes I was going soft on another guided walk. We actually celebrated New Years at Routeburn Falls.

DSC_0357.JPG
Lake Howden was a nice spot for lunch on Day 1.

Like on the Milford post I did awhile ago I was again joined on this tramp by my long suffering wife. We had walked the Routeburn about 9 years ago so it was interesting to check out the changes. It looks like DOC are still pouring considerable resources into the Routeburn as the track itself is extremely well maintained.

DSC_0378.JPG
There are a lot of little streams cascading down from the Ailsa Mountains on Day 1.

We walked from The Divide to Routeburn Shelter over 3 days, staying at Lake Mackenzie and Routeburn Falls. On the climb up to Lake Mackenzie on day 1 we had fairly overcast conditions but it stayed mainly dry. Day 2 along the Hollyford Face was a little nasty, there were no views of the Darren Mountains that day. Our last day was a stunner, blue skies and sunshine, a great way for me to finish off a months tramping on the South Island.

DSC_0404.JPG
The tucker is a little better than my usual diet of freeze dried when walking in Australia!

I've written up a Readers Digest Report on my blog http://goinferalonedayatatime.blogspot. ... aland.html that has about 35 photos in it.

I've also written up a more comprehensive multi page journal here http://hiking.topicwise.com/doc/routeburntrack which has about 90 photo's on it if you want a better idea of what's involved.

DSC_0406.JPG
Lake Mackenzie from the climb up to Ocean Peak Corner on Day 2.

IMG_0784.JPG
The weather was a little inclement as we sidled high above Lake Harris on Day 2.

I think the Routeburn would be my favourite 'Great Walk' although I haven't done then all yet. If you get good weather on Day 2 above the Hollyford Valley the scenery is stunning, I've done it twice now once in bright sunshine and once closed in, so I suppose I can't really complain, a 50% hit rate in Fiordland is probably pretty good!

IMG_0803.JPG
We've just arrived at Routeburn Falls after a bit of a damp day, hey we're still smiling.

DSC_0435.JPG
Routeburn Flats on Day 3, awesome.
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Routeburn Track report

Postby wayno » Sat 12 Dec, 2015 6:05 pm

if you can stand upright on the hollyford face, you're having a good day, believe me. :mrgreen:
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby farefam » Wed 16 Dec, 2015 12:34 pm

I think the Routeburn Track is a superb walk, regardless of what weather it throws at you. https://picasaweb.google.com/114064244807961094522/RouteburnTrack
farefam
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby bigkev » Wed 16 Dec, 2015 8:36 pm

I agree farefam, whatever the weather the Routeburn has something to offer, your photos bring back some good memories.

Cheers Kevin
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Return to New Zealand