NZ Route Guides wiki

Forum rules
Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

NZ Route Guides wiki

Postby bernieq » Wed 01 Jul, 2015 10:04 pm

Take a look at http://www.routeguides.co.nz

It's a great resource for planning your next tramp in NZ - both North and South Islands.

Being map orientated, you can zoom in to the region you want and browse the route segments and trips that others have uploaded.

You can put segments together and download the whole tramp as a gpx for your GPS or just browse and see what's possible.

The website is relatively new so, if you've done some tramps, join up and load your tracks for others to access.

BTW, I'm not associated with the website, other than having contributed a few trips.
Attachments
RG home.JPG
From the home page of RouteGuides.co.nz - zoom in for great detail

We are responsible for the health of the planet - not it for ours
bernieq
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Re: NZ Route Guides wiki

Postby icefest » Thu 02 Jul, 2015 1:33 pm

I have thought about mapping the Moors guide routes on Google earth, but gave up at the amount of work involved. This is pretty cool.
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby GBW » Thu 02 Jul, 2015 2:35 pm

Nice maps. Why don't we have this sort of thing available in Australia?
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
GBW
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby icefest » Thu 02 Jul, 2015 4:25 pm

Tasmania does.

NSW are trying (but the end product isn't as nice).
Men wanted for hazardous journey. Low wages, bitter cold, long hours of complete darkness. Safe return doubtful.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bernieq » Thu 02 Jul, 2015 5:40 pm

icefest wrote:Tasmania does.
That would be useful, too - Tassie has some great wilderness. What's the link, icefeast?

The only ones I know about are more text-based (eg TasTrails, Bushwalk Tasmania or the various global ones).

The thing I like about Route Guides is lots of route segments that the user (logged in or not) can put together for a whole trip. It's unashamedly aimed at the tramping community (which suits me) rather than day-walkers, glampers (some of the global sites look more like a travel show - focused on advertising and revenue - imo).

I think Route Guides has the potential to develop into an active community but the key for me is the tracks.

bernieq

Postby icefest » Thu 02 Jul, 2015 5:51 pm

The maps are here: http://maps.thelist.tas.gov.au/listmap/ ... rkId=82503

Track isn't as available. I assumed GBW meant the maps themselves.
icefest
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby bernieq » Thu 02 Jul, 2015 6:27 pm

Ha - I had my hopes up there was something similar for Tassie (and the rest of Oz - that would be great).

All the LINZ NZ toppo maps are available for free (electronically) so I didn't even think of map access. I have the whole of NZ as an .img file on my GPS which is great for tramping across the ditch.

andrewp is doing a great job with Australian OSM maps, state by state, including Tasmania. Major and lesser tracks are marked on the map but just as lines - not gpx segments that can be linked and downloaded.

NZ has a bit more of an off-track culture, I think. Finding a new route from A to B is considered a good thing and publicising it is a positive (whereas this site, for example, discourages such action).
Over the years, Moir's Guide (and other books) have popularised lots of new routes.

bernieq

Postby madpom » Fri 03 Jul, 2015 6:57 am

Looking at the TASMAP system it _looks_ like it would be really easy to set up such a site for Tasmania at least.

From what I can glean from their copyright declaration you can reproduce the TASMAP maps on a website so long as it's for non-commercial use. Looks pretty similar to the LINZ copyright in NZ.

And the map tiles are served by their server without restrictions, in a standard TMS format. So technically you could set up such a routeguides-like site that pulled the base maps directly from the TASMAP server without having to host the maps yourself. Or, by the terms of use and copyright there's nothing stopping you pulling all the tiles off the TASMAP server to your own server and serving them from there. You'd probably want to check with TASMAP first.

If you weren't allowed to do that, and had to pay the $2 for each of the 414 1:25k map sheets to download them it would be an expensive operation though!

If anyone's keen - I'd be happy to help / advise / participate

Matt

http://routeguides.co.nz
http://mapspast.org.nz
madpom
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: routeguides.co.nz
Region: New Zealand

Postby north-north-west » Fri 03 Jul, 2015 9:23 am

Very nice maps.
And an incredible number of tracks. How well maintained are they? There are massive networks in some areas. I t would take a lot of work to keep them all open.

As for the route guides . . . meh. Sometimes it's useful to have something like that as a backup in case you get yourself lost, but it's much more fun to find your own way.
*sigh* I'm turning into an old fogey, aren't I? "It wasn't like this in my day. We had to do it tough . . . "
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby bernieq » Sun 05 Jul, 2015 11:38 pm

north-north-west wrote:an incredible number of tracks
Correct, NNW, there are quite a few tracks uploaded so far, but a comparative scant few compared to the total number in NZ.

north-north-west wrote:How well maintained are they? There are massive networks in some areas. I t would take a lot of work to keep them all open
Track maintenance is done by DOC, interest groups (eg Permolat / RemoteHuts, tramping clubs) but a lot is maintained by usage. Generally, recognised tracks are a pretty good standard. Routes might be marked / poled but generally not formally maintained.

I enjoy route finding too - if we're off-track, I'm usually out in front. However, NZ terrain can be very testing. It can be valuable to know how others have done it (or, indeed, THAT others have done it).

For example, I was working up a trip on the NI, crossing the Kaweka Range. On routeguides.co.nz I saw an off-track short-cut that saved a day (out of 6) - very valuable.

To get the view in the pic below takes 'on the ground' route finding (but reading someone's description lets you know it's there and it's possible)
aupl.JPG
West Matakitaki Valley - Feb 2013

bernieq

Return to New Zealand