Tramping New Zealand's Te Araroa trail 2015

Forum rules
Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Tramping New Zealand's Te Araroa trail 2015

Postby oldmanwalking » Mon 25 May, 2015 5:11 pm

Not sure if this is allowed but this is a copy of a post I put up in another forum.....but thought it should also be posted here too....!

Probably a bit of a long shot but thought I'd put it out there anyway.......I'm planning on tramping the TA, starting in Cape Reinga in November this year, though the actual day has yet to be decided, and was wondering if anyone was interested in joining me for what will be a six months trek?

I am not planning on setting any speed records for the tramp, rather I'm more interested in enjoying the experience......smelling the roses and taking heaps of photos etc....!

If anyone is interested, and has the time to spare, or you just want more information, please feel free to contact me.

Trekking: It's all about the memories.
Trekking: Its all about the memories
oldmanwalking
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Tramping New Zealand's Te Araroa trail 2015

Postby Schmeed » Mon 03 Aug, 2015 9:25 am

Hi,
I will be heading SOBO on the Te Araroa this year as well. I am currently just finishing my university degree and starting a job in January next year, therefore I am just doing the south island.

I am flying into Wellington on the 26th of November and looking to start the QCT on the 28th of November. I will be heading (hopefully) into Queenstown around the 5-7th of January. If you have Facebook, I recommend looking up a group called Te Araroa, which allows past trampers to post information and is more likely to be updated than this forum. Also have you got the Te Araroa book that has been published? It is awesome.
Schmeed
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Queensland

Postby oldmanwalking » Mon 03 Aug, 2015 9:42 am

Thanks for the info mate.....I'm already a member of all the Fb TA groups so am familiar with the great deal of invaluable information they contain....some of which I must confess I hadn't even thought of when first planning this trek.

Unfortunately my expected start date may have to be pushed back due to a serious foot issue, but I'm still optimistic that I'll get there this year.

I hope all goes well for you and you have a great time on the South Island.

All the best

Norm
oldmanwalking
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Postby Peapod » Sat 08 Aug, 2015 3:10 pm

I'm starting the TA trail (SoBo) from Cape Rainga in mid December this year, would be happy to meet up.
Peapod
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: South Australia

Postby oldmanwalking » Tue 11 Aug, 2015 3:13 pm

Hi Peapod......As it stands I'm still looking to do the trail this year, though I have already had to push it back from early November to either December, or even as late as early January, due in no small part to the foot problem mentioned above. If the worse comes to the worse I shall even have to abandon this year and try again as early as possible next year.......hoping this won't happen but you never know.

How are your plans going? Have you got all your gear? Would be interested to know what you are thinking of with regards tent, shoes v boots and overall estimated pack weight?

By the way, I am, as the nom de plume suggests, a "mature' (for want of a better word) walker, thus not intending to set any land speed records for the TA, so whilst it would indeed be a pleasure to meet others along the way, its also probably fair to say that I shall see their dust as they disappear over the horizon, marching onwards and upwards.

Norm
oldmanwalking
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Return to New Zealand