Hump Ridge Track Report

Forum rules
Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Hump Ridge Track Report

Postby bigkev » Sun 15 Feb, 2015 2:17 pm

After finishing my Stewart Island tramp I headed over to Tuatapere to walk the Hump Ridge Track. The walk is a private tramp in that its not administered by DOC and the lodges are very luxurious compared to even the Great Walk huts. I did the tramp over the usual three days staying at Okaka Lodge and Port Craig Lodge. The track itself is extremely well constructed, I've never done a multi day walk on such a well engineered track (I'm sure a lot would say over engineered). Even accounting for all the hardware on the track you still have to walk it, the days are around twenty kilometres, and there is more or less a 1000m climb on day 1 and then descent on day two. All of the big streams are bridged and the route is extremely well signposted. There are toilets and shelters with water close by each day for a lunch stop if the weather is inclement.
DSC_0411.JPG
Descending towards Bluecliffs Beach on Day 1.

DSC_0429.JPG
The cloud swirling through the Beech Forest on the climb up onto the Hump Ridge, Day 1.

I had average weather up until 10am on day 2, from then on it was sun and blue sky. Climbing up onto the Hump Ridge on day 1 in the cloud actually wasn't too bad, the cloud swirling through the Beech Forest was great. Luckily on Day 2 the cloud lifted in time for me to get some great views from the Hump Ridge, which I traversed for half a day. Once down at sea level on day two the tramp only has some small ups and downs over the remainder of the walk. The huge trestle bridges that the track crosses over at the end of day two are stunning. Day 3 is basically a coast walk with the second half being a retrace of the first section from Day 1.
DSC_0489.JPG
Looking down towards Port Craig from the end of the Hump Ridge, Day 2

DSC_0488.JPG
There is plenty of hardware on the tramp, this is on the Hump Ridge. That's Stewart Island across the water. Day 2.

I paid for a private room which included a hot shower, the lodges have a small shop selling beer, wine, soft drinks, freeze dried, etc. The lodges also have a fully equipped kitchen complete with cooking utensils and breakfast is include in the price.
The Hump Ridge Track certainly isn't hardcore but then neither am I, but it did provide me with an enjoyable tramp though that was quite a contrast to the North West Circuit. If you want to check out a day by day account of the tramp along with a lot more photos I've posted my report here...http://hiking.topicwise.com/doc/Humpridgetrack

DSC_0525.JPG
Blowholes Beach, Day 3.
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Hump Ridge Track Report

Postby wayno » Sun 15 Feb, 2015 6:07 pm

it's a hard job, but someones got to do it...
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Re: Hump Ridge Track Report

Postby bigkev » Sun 15 Feb, 2015 8:27 pm

The choice of tramps you guys have is amazing, if only I could find someone silly enough to pay me...
bigkev
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Return to New Zealand