Cascade Saddle Around New Years Time

Forum rules
Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Cascade Saddle Around New Years Time

Postby Flynt » Wed 10 Dec, 2014 8:14 pm

Hi, looking for a bit of insight on the cascade saddle from aspiring hut to dart hut. Safety is always number one so I wanted to check, what will the trail be like at that time frame? Will it be snow covered or will most of the snow have melted?

Also is it worth taking a rope? I have read there are some steep tricky spots on the way up to the saddle. Is it so that a rope would be helpful to climb up and then pull packs up? Also is camping on the saddle a bad idea? Too exposed?

And then finally what are your thoughts about hiking down to dart glacier. Camping and spending a day doing the the glacier, and then going back up thru aspiring hut to the car park, to get back to the car. Would that be doable, insane, or would I be missing on some great scenery around Dart hut and the Reese dart trail? Thanks in advance.
Flynt
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: No
Region: New Zealand

Re: Cascade Saddle Around New Years Time

Postby mday13 » Thu 12 Feb, 2015 9:56 am

Hi Flynt

I went over the Cascade Saddle in early December back in 2010. At the time there was only patchy snow and definitely nothing to slow us down. Probably collectively only 50m of snow no deeper than 30cm.

While the ascent from Aspiring Hut is steep - especially between the bushline and the Pylon - we didnt use a rope. Just make sure you have good balance and careful footing and you'll be fine. I would suggest that going up would be a lot easier than going down, especially when wet.

Here are some pics if you want to see what its like beforehand:
http://www.mbdphotography.com/Two-Feet/ ... /i-JP4T7XB

I can't comment on the Dart Glacier as we went straight from Aspiring to Dart hut. Sounds like a good addition.

Enjoy your walk....certainly fantastic country in that area.

Cheers
Mike
mday13
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Return to New Zealand