Walking the Milford Track in November

Forum rules
Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Walking the Milford Track in November

Postby Chris-a » Sat 11 Oct, 2014 8:18 pm

Planning to walk the Milford a Track in November 2015. While conditions will vary from year to year, has anyone completed the walk in November? What should we expect in terms of snow at McKinnons Pass? We assume it will be wet from start to finish.

McKinnons Pass in April this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chris-a
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Walking the Milford Track in November

Postby wayno » Sun 12 Oct, 2014 4:54 am

it could be completely clear of snow.
it could be covered in it on mackinnon pass. it might be a light dusting of snow, it could be knee deep or waist deep.
it is likely to rain at least one or more days of the trip.. the rain may be in monsoon proportions, it can completely flood sections of the track in deep water and can close the track. the track is like a conveyor belt of people... you cant remain on the track indefinitely waiting for the water to drop if its flooded... depending on where you are on the track if you are behind shcedule. doc may order you back the way you came if you are before mackinnon pass or may helicopter you off the track if that isnt practicable or you are over the pass. they do this so the next lot of peole booked on the track can get off.
although having said that, the first hut is only five k into the track, if you get held up a day, in theory you should still be able to get onto the track and walk the 20 to the next hut where you should still have a secure booking. and in theory if you are two days behind you in theory should still be able to get on the track and walk the 40k in a day to the third hut.. this is for DOC huts, i'm assuming ultimate hikes guided huts are operating similarly, htey have the same no of huts but at differing locations, but you're more fixed with the guided walks to doing what you're told and i doubt they will change the schedule and let you skip huts, the guides will be following the normal schedule...
if there are holdups on the track with people being stopped at huts when you are due to go onto the track, your trip will be cancelled completley with no right to reschedule it... priority goes to the people who are stuck on the track then to the people who are booked to start the track on their alloted day..
go and look at the NZ section of the forums for information on tramping in NZ. which is where this thread should be.

viewforum.php?f=59

winter weather is shifting well into spring and even into summer. i've seen snow fall at new years higher up... last year a severe snow storm on mt taranaki at the end of october killed two people from hypothermia and nearly killed several more.
mackinnon pass is a wind tunnel. the climb up could be sheltered but when you hit the top be prepared for the wind to blast you solidly till you at least get back down into the bush.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby Chris-a » Sun 12 Oct, 2014 7:48 pm

Wayno - thanks for pointing out the presence of a NZ specific section of the forum. As a relative novice to the forum, I was unaware of all the separate sections.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Chris-a
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby wayno » Mon 13 Oct, 2014 3:05 am

no need to apologise, welcome to the forum
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby wildwalks » Mon 13 Oct, 2014 8:20 am

Moved to NZ forum

Welcome Chris-s

Matt :)
wildwalks
Magnus administratio
Magnus administratio

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Wildwalks, Bushwalk.com & NPA NSW
Region: New South Wales

Postby skuester » Tue 07 Apr, 2015 8:51 pm

Hey Chris-a,
tried to message you you but apparently I am not allowed to do this yet as a new member of this forum. My name is Sofia, I am 25 years old and I am also planning to do the Milford Track in November 2015. It'd be nice to hear from you!
skuester
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Return to New Zealand