Food in Queenstown

Forum rules
Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Food in Queenstown

Postby Watertank » Sat 12 Jan, 2013 6:12 am

I'm walking the Roteburn and then the Milford tracks later this month. I fly into Queenstown mid afternoon on Sunday and leave 8 am the next morning. I will need to buy all my food late on Sunday afternoon. Any suggestions on where to buy food including freeze dried meals? Thanks
Watertank
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Food in Queenstown

Postby wayno » Sat 12 Jan, 2013 4:54 pm

take your pick, theres a supermarket in town and numerous outdoor shops, all in the centre of town down shotover st..
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby wayno » Sat 12 Jan, 2013 5:08 pm

if you're spending much time in te anau, theres a bigger supermarket in te anau just off the main street, they stock freeze dried food. "fresh choice" as opposed to the smaller four square shop.
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Bluegum Mic » Sat 12 Jan, 2013 7:54 pm

Make sure you grab yourself a ferg burger whilst your at it. Just down the road from the outdoor stores (droooool).
Bluegum Mic
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby wayno » Sun 13 Jan, 2013 3:59 am

Bluegum Mic wrote:Make sure you grab yourself a ferg burger whilst your at it. Just down the road from the outdoor stores (droooool).

allow half an hour at least to queue for one...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby JamesMc » Tue 15 Jan, 2013 5:56 am

Go to the big supermarket in Frankton, right near Queenstown Airport. Avoid shopping in the main Queenstown city centre - it finds on a different economy from the rest of New Zealand.

JamesMc
JamesMc
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wayno » Tue 15 Jan, 2013 6:01 am

assuming you've got transport to get there. not sure if buses run there. its in the opposite direction from queenstown town itself.
but yeah anything you buy in queenstown is as expensive as it gets. when the recession hit, their prices went up substantially...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby roysta » Sun 20 Jan, 2013 9:00 pm

The big shopping centre near the airport is called the Remarkables Town Centre.
Buses come and go from there, but honestly, shopping in Queenstown is fine.
There's the Alpine supermarket in Shotover Street, just up from the outdoor stores, it's very central and well stocked.
roysta
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby wayno » Mon 21 Jan, 2013 3:37 am

shopping in queenstown is fine if you dont mind paying the inflated price, if you're on a tight budget, then you will be looking at other options if you can get them as discussed
roysta i made a comment about going to a scenic movie of fiordland in te anau and your answer was forget the movie and take a scenic helicopter flight, that maybe what you might do but most people here will be on a tighter budget than alllows expensive scenic flights. when people say. shop elsewhere its because its a relevant comment for a lot of people because of their budget constraints and or their desire not to be ripped off, queenstown has a reputation for being an expensive place by overseas tourists....
if you've got money to burn, shop in central queenstown, if you don't then consider the options given

NZ third most expensive destination in the world to visit
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/new ... d=10860407
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby roysta » Mon 21 Jan, 2013 8:14 am

I get to Queenstown a couple of times a year, more often if I can. I just love the place and yep, it's expensive, but then I live near Sydney, and that's VERY expensive.
I understand that many people are on a tight budget, but sometimes convenience just plain outweighs that.
If you want to get off the plane at Queenstown airport and take a spin round the corner to the Remarkables Centre (the New World supermarket there is big) and stock up before heading into town that's fine.
You can also get a bus back there from Queenstown centre or you can walk up the hill from town to the other New World, which is also big.
But honestly Wayne I just get the shuttle into town, dump the gear at the Lakefront YHA and take a 10 minute walk back into town to get my necessities.
It's possible to get everything within a 300m radius. If others want to spend more time and save a few dollars that's their choice.
As for Te Anau, yes, they can see the movie and have a good experience, but to me the expense of that helicopter flight around Mt Aspiring on a clear day was not only worth it, it was mind blowing. It was a joy to see 7 climbers within 200-300 metres of summiting. I wouldn't normally shell out that amount of money, but my wife (who wanted to do it more than I) used her tax refund well.
People at all income levels can have a great time in Queenstown and you can eat relatively cheaply, particularly if you're prepared to wait awhile for that Fergburger.
roysta

Postby Kinsayder » Thu 07 May, 2015 2:34 pm

Just on the Te Anau food option; does anybody know what type of range is available? I'm not too fussy but am taking my wife on the Kepler Track in March and definitely want to leave her with a good impression of multi-day hiking.
Kinsayder
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wayno » Thu 07 May, 2015 3:08 pm

to buy or eat out? fully stocked supermarket in the town to cope with large no's of tourists in campervans.... (road lice)
theres a few places to eat, not much overly flash, but adequate.
they sell the local brand "backcountry" dehy food as well
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Kinsayder » Thu 07 May, 2015 3:19 pm

Sorry, Wayno, I should have been more specific. I meant for the Kepler Track. So, primarily dehydrated food. Although I am open to pouch food and anything else packable. I'm assuming that it's the supermarket for us.
Kinsayder
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Food in Queenstown

Postby weeds » Sun 10 May, 2015 7:20 am

Kinsayder wrote:Sorry, Wayno, I should have been more specific. I meant for the Kepler Track. So, primarily dehydrated food. Although I am open to pouch food and anything else packable. I'm assuming that it's the supermarket for us.

I assume you cannot take de-hydrated food into NZ??
weeds
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Postby wayno » Sun 10 May, 2015 7:50 am

commercially prepared and packaged food no problem... personally prepared, take your chances. if its not live food and not in fluid, it might get through.
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Kinsayder » Mon 15 Feb, 2016 8:56 am

I thought I'd tack on a semi-related couple of questions relating to New Zealand...

Can isopro gas cannisters be bought in Te Anau?

Do you need to check into the DOC in Te Anau before heading of on the Kepler?
Kinsayder
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wayno » Mon 15 Feb, 2016 12:07 pm

Kinsayder wrote:I thought I'd tack on a semi-related couple of questions relating to New Zealand...

Can isopro gas cannisters be bought in Te Anau?

Do you need to check into the DOC in Te Anau before heading of on the Kepler?

Outside Sports have gas, not sure if isopro, there's a hunting shop that might have it as well. can't recall the shop name. both on the main street.

you dont have to check in with DOC, take a printout of your booking on the track if you aren't checking in with them.
wouldnt hurt to let them know you wont be fronting up to collect your ticket from them at the office, used to be technically they could sell your bunk space if you didnt pick up the ticket before 11.
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Chris » Mon 15 Feb, 2016 2:14 pm

Useful advice on Queenstown and Te Anau thanks Wayno. Also staying in Glenorchy for a few days and not expecting much more than basic shopping facilities and a pub - any update on that?
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby wayno » Mon 15 Feb, 2016 2:19 pm

Chris wrote:Useful advice on Queenstown and Te Anau thanks Wayno. Also staying in Glenorchy for a few days and not expecting much more than basic shopping facilities and a pub - any update on that?

get everything in qtown unless you have confirmation you can get what you want in glenorchy...
this is a town where they walk down the middle of the main street during the day...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Chris » Mon 15 Feb, 2016 2:56 pm

wayno wrote:get everything in qtown unless you have confirmation you can get what you want in glenorchy...
this is a town where they walk down the middle of the main street during the day...

Thanks Wayno. We did want somewhere quiet :)
Chris
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Tasmania

Postby Kinsayder » Mon 15 Feb, 2016 3:47 pm

Thanks, Wayno! I imagined you might field this. You really are such an asset to this board. I really can't thank you enough. :D
Kinsayder
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Mon 15 Feb, 2016 3:51 pm

wayno wrote:
Bluegum Mic wrote:Make sure you grab yourself a ferg burger whilst your at it. Just down the road from the outdoor stores (droooool).

allow half an hour at least to queue for one...

Worth it tho. If waiting doesn't appeal try Devil Burger which is almost as good.

Central Qtown is expensive but cheaper if you walk out to the Fresh Choice out on Gorge Rd (10-15 mins walk from the main drag... no need to bus out to Frankton). They also have a larger range of Outdoor Gourmet dehydes, as opposed to the Backcountry cr@p that you get from the 4Square or outdoor shops in the town center. Similarly in Te Anau - the fresh choice has a better range but the 4Square and/or Outside Sports on the main street has enough to get you by.
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wayno » Mon 15 Feb, 2016 3:54 pm

the frankton supermarket is a short walk from the airport.
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to New Zealand