Mt Ngauruhoe

Forum rules
Please avoid publishing details of access to sensitive areas with no tracks.

Mt Ngauruhoe

Postby newhue » Wed 26 Apr, 2017 5:18 pm

Has anyone ascended Mt Ngauruhoe from the south. Would like to approach it from Tama Lakes.
newhue
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Mt Ngauruhoe

Postby ribuck » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 1:02 am

I haven't approached Ngauruhoe from the south, but (for what it's worth) OpenStreetMap shows a path from Tama Lakes going up to 1810m. The source is said to be a Strava tracklog. Probably pretty rough going.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=13/- ... 0&layers=C

Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 15.51.31.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 15.51.31.png (207.48 KiB) Viewed 17787 times
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby newhue » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 5:23 am

thanks. My thinking is because its a symmetrical cone its all pretty much of a muchness as far as gradient goes. Looking at pics from all over the web, perhaps the main route from the Nth could be like fine scree, perhaps made from continue use to a degree. The south side could be similar, but could also have a surface simmer to rocks that are set in the earth a bit more, providing a firmer stance. Elevation is 628 from the Nth, and 857 or better pending where we camp at Tama lakes.

have you been to the top ribuck? Recon you would get two tents in amongst all the rocks and scree?
newhue
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby whitefang » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 7:40 am

The ascent from the north is for the most part up rock that is firmly in place if you pick the right line.

As far as your plan to camp at Tama Lakes there's no camping with 500m of the track. There's also no camping permitted on the top of Mt. Ngauruhoe.
whitefang
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Postby Tortoise » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 8:45 am

whitefang wrote:The ascent from the north is for the most part up rock that is firmly in place if you pick the right line.

Been a very long time, but strong memories of finding the biggest rocks we could on the way up (many still moved, but not very much), and the smallest scree we could coming down. That was like running down a giant sand hill. :D
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 1:51 pm

newhue wrote: My thinking is because its a symmetrical cone its all pretty much of a muchness as far as gradient goes.

Yeh I'd think so. Either way there's no real "track" to the top, just really loose scree interspersed with sections of rock (and often snow).

newhue wrote: Recon you would get two tents in amongst all the rocks and scree?

Doubt it. From memory there are small outcrops near the top (on the north side at least) that could provide a bit of shelter but don't recall any flat bits. In any case I don't think it's allowed.

Tortoise wrote: and the smallest scree we could coming down. That was like running down a giant sand hill. :D

Haha yeh scree-skiing is fun... not good for the boots tho. Takes less than half the time to get down than it does to go up.
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby ribuck » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 3:56 pm

It's an awesome place to visit, but I wouldn't want to camp on top. Apart from the lack of flat ground, the summit can be very windy (it feels like it's sticking up into the jet stream). And if by some chance it's not windy, you would have to worry about the volcanic fumes.

There's no water, of course, so an overnight pack would be heavy. And it's a steep energetic climb that would definitely be much less fun with an overnight pack.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby newhue » Thu 27 Apr, 2017 5:58 pm

Thanks all I appreciate your comments.
One thing I picked up cutting my teeth bushwalking: to carry water to where there is no water, often results in a camp sight that rewards far more than what it cost to get there. In my head to watch the day settle from a birds domain, as the mountain casts it's great shadow over the land with the sun setting, and stars starting to arrive all seems worth it to me. To sit in the silence of the soft morning light and just observe from what feels like the top of the world is what bushwalking is all about, and perhaps what being alive also feels like.
I don't think I'm pushing boundaries or creating a first. DOC don't say no camping so is it really not allowed or just not promoted. I can walk there, I'm certainly 500m from the formed great walks track, and perhaps I am just seeking a different adventure to the hoards on the Tongariro crossing.
It would be great to find find snow up there, but I think snow in April is at the wrong end of the season for me. So to carry water is just how it is, one thing for certain I will be checking forecasts beforehand though.

I am aware of a small active chimney on top, think its on the Nth Nth Est side from what I can work out from various pics. Can anyone clarify? It smokes a bit like a smoky BBQ, but its not gushing out. I need to do some homework on sulphur or volcanic gases as to weather they rises, sink, and exposure levels to them. I know 30 minutes in White Island was all we could stay, and perhaps 20 minutes was enough as the eyes were watering and the throat starting to burn. That place however is smoking like a wayward bushfire.

It looks like there is a decent half moon gully that runs around the main crater on the Est to Sth side, but I think the vent is at the start of it. There will plenty of air moving around up there, but if sulphur sinks then pitching a tent in the shelter of the gully is questionable. So perhaps a bivouac is the better option weather dependant of course. Having tents may be a nice back up but not much good if we can't pitch them, so it may all be best guess and work with it.
newhue
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wayno » Sat 29 Apr, 2017 10:59 am

we're getting into the time of year where you need good alpine winter skills to negotiate the mountain.
some parts of ngauruhoe are harder to get traction on than others and can have a harder more crumbly surface even in summer when there is no snow, thats part of the reason people take the same route up from the nor nor west side, , the nor nor eastern side is steeper and more dificult, i havent seen anyone go up or down on that side and looking at it , I wouldnt attempt it without snow and good crampon and ice axe skills. I dont have any information what the south side is like to climb, i havent come across any reports or know of anyone climbing past upper tama lake. with stable snow and good ice axe and crampon skills then any side of the mountain should be climbable. although the south side will be more prone to ice and more dangerous if you fall. there have been some deaths and serious injuries due to people not being able to stop themselves sliding on snow in winter... snow conditions can vary a lot and there is no hard and fast rule when there will be snow. other than there will be snow at some point into autumn or winter. there has been a snow recently and there is more coming
red crater is 400m below the top of Ngauruhoe and the windchill on Ngauruhoe will be a few degrees lower

http://www.metservice.com/mountain/tong ... ional-park

this forecast is computer generated and less accurate and should be used as a general gauge only of conditions on the mountain,
https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks ... casts/2291
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby newhue » Wed 03 May, 2017 6:28 pm

any thoughts on the vent and the gas up top Wayno? Would that happen to be Ngauruhoe in the back ground of your avatar?
newhue
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby wayno » Wed 03 May, 2017 6:32 pm

theres minimal venting on Ngauruhoe, there has been since the seventies, its mainly on the other side of Tongariro and is consistent and non problematic. it just had to clear its throat a few years back, coming back to life, which made the news...
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Return to New Zealand