Tarptent going Ultra TNT

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Tarptent going Ultra TNT

Postby Franco » Wed 26 Jul, 2023 9:21 am

Since we have not had a new post here for a month I thought of adding some good news for the LW brigade.
Ultra TNT is a 1oz laminate that can be completly bonded, so no seam sealing required, not to be confused with previously available Ultra fabrics.
TT has a page pointing out the good and bad of each type of material it use, the Ultra TNT comments have been there for several months but no one seemed to have noticed them.(https://www.tarptent.com/buyers-guide/).
Three shelters for now, the Scarp 1, same as the sil version, the Strato Spire 2 , larger than the DCF one and the Double Rainbow, same size as the DR DW.
About 40% cheaper than DCF .
download.jpg
download.jpg (3.86 KiB) Viewed 4516 times

The Scarp 1 and SS2 Ultra.
(visible in that photo there is a contrail too).
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Re: Tarptent going Ultra TNT

Postby crollsurf » Wed 26 Jul, 2023 1:22 pm

Hi Franco, never heard of it before! So heavier than DCF, lighter than Silnylon or Silpoly. And it's ripstop.
I wonder how long TT have been testing this material in the wild. Reports are that DCF is only good for about 100 nights due to pin holing and can get smashed in hail. Will the extra weight/strength mean Ultra TNT preforms better in this regard, or is it still too early to tell?
Also how does it compare packability wise?
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby Franco » Wed 26 Jul, 2023 1:37 pm

I don't have the exact figures but it packs somewhat like DCF, it is a laminate after all , so better to fold and roll than to just stuff.
I know that Henry was making prototypes early last year and at that stage he had already been testing the fabric for tear strength and waterhead but he gets a much better idea once a shelter has been made. There were lots of tweacks to be made to get the design right. He is using a very high end CAD but you still need to build them to really know. (took several years of testing and fiddling to find the silpoly he liked. It was kind of odd for me to sit back looking at all the comments about TT not using it knowing that he was already testing it).
As some have realised Henry is very particular in getting the right panels design and that is very visible just looking at how the tents are when correctly set up.
I feel that Ultra TNT will replace a lot of the DCF .
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Petew » Wed 26 Jul, 2023 2:49 pm

It offers a lot more privacy than DCF and it can be repaired with DCF or TNT ultra tape.
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby north-north-west » Wed 26 Jul, 2023 4:01 pm

I don't need another tent, but that Ultra Scarp I is really tempting. It looks a bit wider and higher-ended than my old Scarp.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby Warin » Thu 27 Jul, 2023 10:26 am

A redit post says the Ultra TNT has more bulk than dynema...

Ripstop by the roll does not stock it .. they do have Ultra TNT tape .. could be good for seem sealing Ultra 200/*
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Petew » Fri 28 Jul, 2023 1:30 pm

Warin wrote:A redit post says the Ultra TNT has more bulk than dynema...

Ripstop by the roll does not stock it .. they do have Ultra TNT tape .. could be good for seem sealing Ultra 200/*

The Ultra TNT PSA tape is excellent stuff. I use it all the time on DCF and ULTRA fabrics.
Petew

Postby headwerkn » Fri 28 Jul, 2023 10:58 pm

The Ultra tents look very promising, especially in terms of strength and cost. Kinda hard to give up the weight savings of DCF though. Or the single wall design of the DRLi... I wonder if a single-wall Double Rainbow in Ultra TNT is incoming? ;-)

crollsurf wrote:Reports are that DCF is only good for about 100 nights due to pin holing and can get smashed in hail. Will the extra weight/strength mean Ultra TNT preforms better in this regard, or is it still too early to tell?

Ours is approaching that usage (>70 nights by my estimate) but it's not pinholing that's the issue. It's fraying of the laminates, especially in tension areas eg. the corners and vestibules. Has just received *ahem* a fair bit of DCF tape to reinforce and seal up the areas. Sounds like something the multi-orientated laminates of Ultra TNT might be better at managing.

BTW kudos to Henry for still sending out tape for nought halfway around the world ~3 years after the purchase to keep it in action. This is what standing by your product actually looks like.
headwerkn

Postby north-north-west » Sat 29 Jul, 2023 8:29 am

crollsurf wrote: Will the extra weight/strength mean Ultra TNT preforms better in this regard, or is it still too early to tell?

ULA are making packs out of Ultra, and they reckon it's both lighter and more durable than the Robic fabric in my Catalyst. Presumably a thinerr version would be used for tents, but I would still expect it to last a lot better than DCF.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous

Postby fff » Sat 29 Jul, 2023 9:54 am

north-north-west wrote:
ULA are making packs out of Ultra, and they reckon it's both lighter and more durable than the Robic fabric in my Catalyst. Presumably a thinerr version would be used for tents, but I would still expect it to last a lot better than DCF.

Wrong 'Ultra'.
fff
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Other Country

Postby Franco » Sun 30 Jul, 2023 9:58 am

There are 6 different types of Ultra laminate.
https://www.challenge-outdoor.com/ultra-tnt
The TNT version was particularly designed for tents and tarps and a rather obvious competition to the type of DCF used for shelters (there are also lots of very different DCF laminates too).
From what I get at the moment, at the start Ultra TNT packs a bit larger than the 0.5 DCF but once used it softens and reduces its bulk.
BTW, seeing those two TT tents on the Ultra TNT page reminded me of the early days when some members here treated Tarptent as a bit of a joke.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Franco » Sat 05 Aug, 2023 2:32 pm

From Henry Shires :
The packability of Ultra TNT is similar to 1 oz DCF meaning it is not as good as sil-poly or sil-nylon and only slightly worse than 0.51oz DCF. We are using a factory taped 20D Sil/PeU coated nylon for the floors which helps keep overall bulk, including interior, down to quite close to the current comparable “Li” series tents. What happens over time is that the UltraTNT fabric tends to soften and that improves the packability.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Return to Ultralight backpacking