Ultralight tent

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Ultralight tent

Postby Chupachupstho » Fri 23 Jun, 2023 12:25 am

Hi, I currently use a super cheap 2 person tent from bcf that weighs 1.7kg. Looking to upgrade to a lighter tent. I don't understand the difference between single and double wall (in terms of functionality) - and would be grateful if someone could please explain. I'd like this to be a lightweight, all season tent. Not after just a tarp sheet as I like being able to zip up and feel safe from snakes/bugs/weirdos. Thanks for your help!
Chupachupstho
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Re: Ultralight tent

Postby ribuck » Fri 23 Jun, 2023 8:16 am

Single wall is lighter, but if condensation forms inside your tent you will need to avoid touching it if you don't want your clothes or sleeping bag to get damp.

With a two wall tent, the condensation forms on the outer wall so you don't touch it.
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby ChrisJHC » Fri 23 Jun, 2023 8:36 am

Chupachupstho wrote:Hi, I currently use a super cheap 2 person tent from bcf that weighs 1.7kg. Looking to upgrade to a lighter tent. I don't understand the difference between single and double wall (in terms of functionality) - and would be grateful if someone could please explain. I'd like this to be a lightweight, all season tent. Not after just a tarp sheet as I like being able to zip up and feel safe from snakes/bugs/weirdos. Thanks for your help!
Not sure that 1mm of polyester will provide much protection from weirdos!

:)

Mind you, I sleep under a tarp while suspended a metre off the ground so what would I know.
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby Al M » Sat 29 Jul, 2023 4:02 pm

Two wall means the outer rain proof sheet and the inner usually the insect screen mesh and floor that completely seals from insect entry. There are other several other designs that use a combination of no inner mesh, mesh only at the floor to wall junction, solid inner material usually for snow proofing. In terms of tent pole support there are ones making use of your hiking poles, which seem lighter and others with metal poles that are self supporting. The hiking pole support tents save weight and are around 600g plus the hiking poles (500g) so if you don’t use hiking poles or only one a self supporting tent with its own poles can be the same or lighter combined.

When you say all season tent this means 4 season and these tend to be a little heavier and are more snow spin drift proof (less or no mesh) for the inner wall so that it does not get blown inside. Unless you are doing a lot of serious snow camping, a good 3 season tent will do and the majority of people use these as they are cheaper and lighter and can also be used for light snow conditions. Tarp tents can also be used or come with with inner mesh and floor sealed for full insect proofing or a hybrid design of both.

To get a better idea have a look at many of the popular tents like Tarp Tent, Zpacks, Big Agnes, MSR, Wilderness Equipment etc.
Al M
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Return to Ultralight backpacking