Happy Ultralight feet in snow

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Happy Ultralight feet in snow

Postby emma_melbourne » Tue 16 Jul, 2019 8:52 pm

I came across this article on how one experienced hiker hikes through snow, in terms of socks and footwear, and thought it worth sharing for anyone that it may be of interest to.

She does:
Layer 1 - Darn Tough Running sock
Layer 2 - Sealskinz Waterproof socks - eg https://www.amazon.com/Sealskinz-Weight-Length-Black-X-Large/dp/B00LYLA0CM
Layer 3 - Waterproof version of same model of shoe (in her case Altra Lone Peak Neoshell)

The article is here:http://www.eathomas.com/tips-to-keeping-feet-happy-in-the-snow/

Best,

Emma
emma_melbourne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: Happy Ultralight feet in snow

Postby Mark F » Wed 17 Jul, 2019 9:31 pm

Gaiters of some sort with a good seal around the top. For my very limited experience snow shoeing I found my dirty girls gaiters worked satisfactorily but if I was on foot taller the better.
"Perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove".
Mark F
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Petew » Thu 18 Jul, 2019 8:59 am

I use keen targhee2 mid, sealskinz med weight socks, thin liner sock and OR crocodile GTX gaiters. Bomb proof but not ultralight.
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby andrewa » Fri 09 Aug, 2019 5:40 pm

I’ve never been that happy with Sealskinz stuff, however, I do enjoy NRS Hydroskin socks - they are basically thin neoprene socks.

My snow “hiking” is largely backcountry skiing, so my requirements may be different to others. A good pair of down booties makes a huge difference at the end of the day.....esp something like the Western Mountaineering Expedition bootie - The biggest problem I’ve had with down booties is trying to walk outside to get something, and they either fall off, or I step in deep snow, and get snow inside.. The WM ones go right up to the knee, which prevents both these things happening, but , basically, you only need an over bootie with a down bootie underneath to do the same. Sadly , it seems like a MYO project for the outer bootie, albeit not that hard if you sew....have just ordered some Aegismax down booties to modify like this for when one of the daughters joins me snow camping....a cheaper option than a spare pair of WM booties.

A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None
Region: Victoria

Postby Petew » Sat 10 Aug, 2019 2:15 pm

For ski touring I used to take a pair of OR Mukluks. Not sure if you can still buy them but fantastic around camp/night time nature calls. Basically a CCF lined cordura/goretex knee length boot/gaiter thing
Attachments
images.jpeg
images.jpeg (5.25 KiB) Viewed 14052 times
Petew

Region: New South Wales

Postby rcaffin » Mon 21 Oct, 2019 9:24 am

1810.jpg
1810.jpg (71.19 KiB) Viewed 12707 times

KT26s and Darn Tough socks.