Food tasting toxic on endurance activities

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Food tasting toxic on endurance activities

Postby Aardvark » Sun 23 Jun, 2019 8:54 pm

I was in an event on the weekend covering 100km. As a team of four we each carried appx 5kg.
We bettered our time, as we have done four times before.
I showed no obvious signs of a cold beforehand but immediately after it's all on. Chest, voice, throat.
This time I was the weakest of the four, only noticeable on the uphill. All the time struggling at half their pace.
It was pretty much the opposite on previous occasions.
I ate very little enroute but plenty beforehand. Everything I recall trying on the walk tasted shocking. I had to spit it out.
Sandwiches, even banana to some degree. Chewing gum was bad.
My question to others is 'have you ever experienced the food tasting bad as a result of fatigue?
It may well have been the cold developing in me.
Ever on the search for a one ended stick.
Aardvark
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Queensland

Re: Food tasting toxic on endurance activities

Postby ribuck » Mon 24 Jun, 2019 1:49 am

It probably was due to the cold developing. Loss of appetite commonly accompanies a cold.

But if your food isn't tasting good under normal conditions, you perhaps don't have enough fat in your food. Bananas, etc, are great for a quick burst of energy, but after a while your body can use some fats too. How does a piece of cheese or salami taste?
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Other Country

Postby wayno » Mon 24 Jun, 2019 5:39 am

i have to eat pretty plain food when i'm on the go and in small amounts frequently... or it can make me sick
your metabolism changes during exercise... especially if you're sick or not fully fit...
ultrarunners can have a lot of problems holding food and liquid down the further they go
exercising produces acidic biochemicals your body has to neutralise. over time you can fail to neutralise them adequately and your body fluid goes acidic, this changes things like your tolerance for food... any food that is acidic or rich food is likely to be rejected, more extreme you'll just reject a whole raft of food or all food.
plus if you're bodys already trying to process food its digesting that can upset things further.
you're ability to digest fat and protein plummets when you're exercising , the more intensely you exercise the less it will be able to digest them..
sugary food requires more water and is prone to upsetting your gut and fermenting especially when combined with slow digesting food. carbs are one of the better choices..
slow down and let your metabolism sort out the toxic byproducts in your system and you should get some restoration of your appetite.
from the land of the long white clouds...
wayno
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New Zealand

Postby slparker » Mon 24 Jun, 2019 11:00 am

Change in taste and smell is common with viral illnesses of the respiratory tract.
slparker
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Return to Ultralight backpacking