Montbell superior down pants

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Re: Montbell superior down pants

Postby Rileyr » Sun 16 Jun, 2019 8:56 pm

Moondog55 wrote:A left field suggestion. What about the EE Snow Wrap in XL? Traps warmth from both legs together and can be used as both a sit pad and an extra warmth layer for sleeping. Cheaper and not a great weight penalty
I like that. Multi purpose

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Rileyr
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Postby Moondog55 » Thu 20 Jun, 2019 4:33 pm

Petew wrote:I also have a pair of 100wt fleece pants that aren't too heavy. I suspect I'll end up buying some EE torrid apex pants.

Can you request a warmer insulation on custom made? I read the site thru and it looked to me that all warm wear is made with 2.5ounce APEX fibre, I have found that isn't quite enough for me over simple base layers and if really cold even over fleece layers, I admit to feeling the cold tho so I have in the past always erred on the side of caution where insulation is concerned
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 23 Jun, 2019 2:50 pm

I've read a few American reviews of the AegisMax down pants that were positive with the proviso that they were of very light fabric
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/AEGISMA ... 24358.html
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Mon 01 Jul, 2019 12:28 pm

Had a look at the AEGISMAX-Unisex-95-White-Goose-Down-Pants. They have thin and thicker versions, and a range of sizes from XS to XXXL. Fabric is Nylon 15D, and the filler is 95% white goose down, 800 FP.

We have a group of the family heading to Antarctica later, so have time. Have now ordered one of those AEGISMAX pants in the thick version to test it. If it works we will buy them for the group.

Anyone else have had these or tested these? It would cost about double $$ to buy the Montbell version.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Orbita_Serenitatem » Wed 10 Jul, 2019 10:06 pm

slparker wrote:I use montane synthetic fill insulated 'prism' pants in subzero temps.
Relatively well priced, light and very warm.
Got onspecial from WA but also available from ukultralightgear.com.

I use the Prism pants too and matched with a WM Summerlight & merino thermals have slept fine down to -9 with possum socks and Featherlight Down Jacket, gloves and a balaclava... my alpine sleep system - due to not having a sub zero bag!
Orbita_Serenitatem
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 14 Jul, 2019 1:47 pm

Apropos to this thread
Cecile and I just cut down an old pair of Expedition weight cheap long johns into shorts, in XXXXL [ I got them for $5- at the closing of the Rays Superstore and I thought they were Asian size] and at the just at the knee length they weigh 225 grams. Just to put the mass of the UL down pants in perspective my Patagonia DAS pants in XXL weigh 525grams
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Sun 14 Jul, 2019 2:09 pm

photohiker wrote:Had a look at the AEGISMAX-Unisex-95-White-Goose-Down-Pants. They have thin and thicker versions, and a range of sizes from XS to XXXL. Fabric is Nylon 15D, and the filler is 95% white goose down, 800 FP.

This arrived this week. Size XL

IMG_4972b.jpg
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 14 Jul, 2019 2:19 pm

They look tight. How do they feel on and how warm are they and what do they weigh?
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby photohiker » Sun 14 Jul, 2019 3:25 pm

Moondog55 wrote:They look tight. How do they feel on and how warm are they and what do they weigh?

Hi.

There are two types of these pants. They are either soft, or thick. Mine is the thick one: https://i.postimg.cc/gjDFL94w/Aegis.jpg

So they should look tight. :D

The feel soft and flex easy. They are pretty very warm here, but that's good. We need them warm for Antartica.

Weight is 315gm
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 14 Jul, 2019 5:12 pm

So you anticipate wearing over LJs and with the wind suit over the top?
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby north-north-west » Mon 15 Jul, 2019 7:42 am

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
north-north-west
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Social Misfits Anonymous
Region: Tasmania

Postby photohiker » Mon 15 Jul, 2019 8:46 am

Yep. Looked at them also.

I decided for the AEGISMAX because they have a choice with thicker down options, and longer pants. If you look at the AEGISMAX the choice of the down on XL is between thin 106g or thick 165g.
My AEGISMAX (XL) weight is 315g compared to the Naturehike version at 250g at size L, and they also say our goose down is 800 filling power vs 750 on the Naturehike. The Naturehike one has thicker nylon 20D vs 15D on the AEGISMAX

The cost of the AEGISMAX compared between the standard vs Thicken is US$46.41 vs US$65.80
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Petew » Mon 15 Jul, 2019 2:18 pm

Re the sizing, if I normally wear medium should I order large?
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 15 Jul, 2019 2:27 pm

Petew wrote:Re the sizing, if I normally wear medium should I order large?

Much safer to go up 2 full sizes in my limited experience, a bit like the Uniqlo XXXL being an XL at the most
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby keithy » Wed 17 Jul, 2019 7:34 pm

I must have overlooked this thread before. I also have one of the Aegismax down pants I picked up earlier in the year.

I had been to the Montbell store in Singapore in March this year and was checking out their down gear. Velocity Shopping Centre at Novena Square, if anyone goes to Singapore - great agglomeration of outdoor stores, however the prices aren't as competitive as Aust prices. Eg. The Plasma 1000 Down jacket I was looking at was over AUD$500 and the Superior Down pants were over $300.

When I got back to Aus I ended up looking for alternatives, and having been pleased by my Aegismax summer quilt I gave the Aegismax down pants a crack. I got the thinner (standard) version in Medium. It weighs about 227g (incluing the stuff sack). I'm pretty impressed with it for the price. It has been quite warm, although I've only tested it to around 10°C. I was after some insulated pants to take up on winter trips for hut or camp use. I have worn them over a layer of merino leggings, over my pants, and it was toasty.

Haven't had any issue with down shedding as I have with my Aegismax quilt. They have an elastic waist with press stud waist button and zip up fly and zip up side pockets. The fit was very similar to the fit of the Montbell I tried on.

At the same time as I picked up the Aegismax down pants, I also got their down mittens. The mittens I use as over mittens on top of my regular gloves, and they have a similar material to the pants. The mittens I think are better than the booties and also compress down smaller than a tennis ball. They aren't made for big hands though.

Last year after I got my quilt, I also got the Aegismax booties after not being able to find a replacement for my Northface Thermoball down slippers. The Aegismax booties aren't as warm though, and unlike the pants and the mittens, the booties shed down onto my socks.

photohiker wrote:They are pretty very warm here, but that's good. We need them warm for Antartica.

I'd be keen to know how warm you find the Thick version.

Petew wrote:Re the sizing, if I normally wear medium should I order large?

PeteW - I've got the medium if you want me to take measurements for you.
keithy

Region: Other Country

Postby Petew » Thu 18 Jul, 2019 8:57 am

Hi Keithy,

I take a medium in the montbell down pants, medium in Marmot overpants/Mont overpants. I'm 5.10", 39" inseam and around a 34" waist.
Petew

Postby keithy » Thu 18 Jul, 2019 7:02 pm

Pete - I reckon you'd have to get at least the Large, if not the XL.

The M outside leg from waist to ankle is 41", inseam from crotch to ankle is 31". The outside leg measurement pretty much matches their listing "Length" of 106cm.
keithy

Region: Other Country

Postby Petew » Fri 19 Jul, 2019 12:15 am

Sorry Keithy, I made a typo...30 inch inseam.
Petew

Postby photohiker » Fri 19 Jul, 2019 5:46 pm

photohiker wrote:They are pretty very warm here, but that's good. We need them warm for Antartica.

keithy wrote:I'd be keen to know how warm you find the Thick version.

It isn't very cold here, just a little less than 10C and I find it pretty warm with those pants on only with light cotton trousers.

I reckon they will be very warm with the better pants below the insulated pants.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Xastorm » Mon 22 Jul, 2019 1:46 pm

I’d not assume you need to upsize their down pants.. I called the Sydney store and he said those pants were US sizing and I found them true to size (in the women’s anyway..).
Xastorm
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Petew » Mon 22 Jul, 2019 2:13 pm

Yes, the US sizes are pretty Tru to size. I ended up buying their thermawrap pants in large. A bit big but serviceable. No mediums to be had till the end of the year apparently so it's baggy trousers for me.
Petew

Postby Xastorm » Mon 22 Jul, 2019 2:44 pm

:lol:
Xastorm
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Postby Petew » Mon 22 Jul, 2019 2:52 pm

I feel like shouting "Hammertime"!
Petew

Postby Moondog55 » Mon 22 Jul, 2019 3:31 pm

Really if they are not big enough to give you 10 to 15mm clearance from your under layers the cut/fit is too small, that 15mm is free, no weight insulation. You can go up to 50mm clearance but with no additional benefit and over 50mm it starts to degrade and become less effective
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby andrewa » Thu 08 Aug, 2019 8:23 pm

My Aegismax Down Pants 2 arrived today ( the thicker version). They look great for winter snow camping, and v good value.

I’m comparing them to some Western Mountaineering Flash pants, which are perfect for me , and weigh “nothing” ie 180g, but cost a lot, and some Montbell Thermawrap pants, which are also good.

Why did I buy the AliExpress pants? I last went snow camping with 2 of my 4 kids, and I ended up with the light fleece pants, and they with the warm stuff. Not happening again.

The Aegismax pants arrived within a month of ordering. They are heavier than either of my alternatives, but still only 316g. I try to keep a maximum of 300g per item of clothing, so these fit that restriction (just), but will add warmth to any lightweight quilt system, and comfort to your evening when it’s cold.

If you have the $, the Western Mountaineering ones are lighter, but for less than $100, these Aegismax ones are perfect.

Andrew A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Postby andrewa » Fri 09 Aug, 2019 5:30 pm

PS they are sized rather small. I bought an XL, and they are fairly firm fitting for me with a 34” waist, and 33” leg inseam. I would have been better with an XXL. Going to try the down booties now....
A
andrewa
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: None

Previous

Return to Ultralight backpacking