Montbell plasma 1000 jackets

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Montbell plasma 1000 jackets

Postby enlightened0ne » Fri 10 May, 2019 7:51 am

I just took a trip to Sydney yesterday and hit up the Montbell store while I was there. They’re selling their remaining stock of the 1000 fill power super light down jackets for $269, which is significantly cheaper than buying them from US/Japan. The salesman said that the Australian market isn’t interested in a down jacket that’s more expensive but less warm, but for ultralighters it’s so light and compact that I picked one up. (Warmer and lighter than a whisperlight) They only had size S and L in black when I was there.
enlightened0ne
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Northern Territory

Re: Montbell plasma 1000 jackets

Postby crollsurf » Fri 10 May, 2019 8:12 am

Love my Plasma 1000. I paid around $400 so $269 is a good price. The outer material is not durable, so I wouldn't want to be brushing against shrub with it. Otherwise insane light and nice and warm. Perfect for around camp, or as a mid layer/walking fire trail/open track when cool to cold.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: New South Wales

Postby wildwanderer » Fri 10 May, 2019 8:32 am

damm... i purchased a macpac light down jacket only a month ago..

would have loved this.
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Petew » Fri 10 May, 2019 8:44 am

They are selling the current plasma 1000 for $600 (hooded). Nice jacket, I was sorely tempted but just too expensive.

I was looking for a hooded lightweight down jacket and these things are amazing but $600!

Unfortunately they don't bring in the superior down parka, just the jacket. Ended up getting a Macpac Arrowsmith on special, heavier but warmer and a third of the price. It's a pullover.
Petew
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Postby Petew » Fri 10 May, 2019 8:46 am

Crollsurf, $400 is a good price for a plasma 1000. Where did you get it?
Petew

Postby crollsurf » Fri 10 May, 2019 10:18 am

Petew wrote:Crollsurf, $400 is a good price for a plasma 1000. Where did you get it?

got it from Montbell in Sydney a year or so ago, that was the RRP at the time for the none hooded version. Even at $400 it was hard to bite the bullet. At $600! is it really worth the 200g saving.

EDIT: the $600 plasma is different. It's the jacket not the puffer which is on sale.

EE and others have similar offerings but being XXL, many companies don't offer that sizing, plus I really need to try clothing on before I buy, particularly at those sort of prices.

Montbell Versalite rain jacket is awesome UL as well but they don't sell in my size :(
https://montbelloutdoor.com.au/products/us-versalite-jacket-mens
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Petew » Fri 10 May, 2019 2:23 pm

I looked at those but ended up going for a storm cruiser instead. Pretty nice jacket. Going to Tassie for a walk mid winter and thought the versalite might not cut it. I was tempted though..... They make nice stuff.
Petew

Return to Ultralight backpacking