Desktop version
A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.

Forum rules

Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg
Post a reply

Things you have bought too much of

Tue 30 Apr, 2019 4:24 pm

Maybe it's just me.....

I had 13 stoves, now down to five.

Is there a piece/type of kit you're guilty of going overboard on?

Stoves are my weak spot but partial to gear freaking on headtorches and things with down in them.....

Confess!

Re: Things you have bought too much of

Tue 30 Apr, 2019 4:57 pm

:D

Rain Jackets. I have five plus another three water resistant jackets.

Still searching for the holy grail..

Tue 30 Apr, 2019 5:21 pm

I only have four of those...:) I guess I'm a rain jacket lightweight.

Tue 30 Apr, 2019 5:25 pm

Yeap, 13 stoves definately puts you in the obsessive category. Most of us would only have a dozen, some even less ;) I think I've got 7 stoves but only really use 2, a metho stove and a Soto Amicus.

I keep buying knifes, not because I'm collecting them but because I keep losing them, 2 in the last 12 months! Tents, Tarps and Packs are other items that tend to breed well. ATM 4 Tents, 2 Tarps and 4 backpacks and you'll find thats hardly any at all, compared to some here.

Tue 30 Apr, 2019 5:37 pm

Ah, tents

Slight problem there as well. 6 tents and 5 tarps, they all get used though. I'm good with knives. Just two. One of those Victorinox classic in the 1st aid kit and an opinel #6 or #7.

Tue 30 Apr, 2019 5:48 pm

I might get a year or two from a pair of gaiters. They fall into disrepair because they get worked hard. I usually buy another pair with an intention to spend some time doing repairs. Not long back i checked and found in excess of twenty sets needing repair.

Tue 30 Apr, 2019 6:11 pm

Arctic gear and fabrics and most DIY stuff. Knives definitely do not count; tools of the trade etc.

Tue 30 Apr, 2019 6:56 pm

oh.. also shoes. I have

-20C Snow boots
Mid boots GTX
GTX shoes
trail shoes.
hut slippers.
water shoes x 2. (couldnt choose between the two so I bought both :oops: )

Possibly also stoves.. i now have three.. 3 tents, 3 back packs, 2 sleeping bags. 2 down jackets..

God when will it end! :lol:

Tue 30 Apr, 2019 7:05 pm

It ends when you croak it or your bank sends some large men around to your house to discuss your financial situation...

Tue 30 Apr, 2019 7:09 pm

anyone is partial to stoves I suggest NOT looking at Rogers thread on market square.. :lol:

Wed 01 May, 2019 7:56 am

wildwanderer wrote:anyone is partial to stoves I suggest NOT looking at Rogers thread on market square.. :lol:

Too late!!!

Wed 01 May, 2019 8:52 am

Thankfully I just had to pay car rego so I'm forcedly safe from any more stoveitis (for now);)

Wed 01 May, 2019 10:47 am

There is no such thing as too much gear.

Wed 01 May, 2019 1:49 pm

Agree with NNW! but sometimes I do wonder whether 18 pairs of trail runners and a few pairs boots might be pushing it...worse part is I still haven't found THE PAIR!

Wed 01 May, 2019 2:06 pm

Onward, you should team up with Aardvark. Almost enough between you for a couple of soccer teams....

Wed 01 May, 2019 4:30 pm

The impacts of excessive consumer behaviour is much greater than localised 'leave no trace' approaches. Yeah Im upset when I see fireplace scars where fires arent permitted tmor noodle wrappers left in designated wilderness areas, however the energy used, waste generated and carbon foot print of an average hiking pack is significant enough. The more purchased, the greater the impact. Its great to keep 3rd world country sweatshops running these kids need a job, but consider ethical purchasing habits and the broader impacts on our environment. A single durable decision will go along way. Yes Im somewhat cynical and have previously chased successive purchases in the race to go lighter, better and more. Lately Im scaling back and changing my unsustainable approches. I dont seek to point fingers merely stating a positive behavioural change that aligns with conservation philosohies that I suspect many on this forum would share.

Wed 01 May, 2019 10:39 pm

Packs. I have lots.

Thu 02 May, 2019 8:53 am

onward wrote:Agree with NNW! but sometimes I do wonder whether 18 pairs of trail runners and a few pairs boots might be pushing it...worse part is I still haven't found THE PAIR!

Sell some of them. They might not fit you perfectly but they are bound to work for someone else.

Thu 02 May, 2019 11:18 am

anyone is partial to stoves I suggest NOT looking at Rogers thread on market square.. :lol:
Too late!!!

Oh, please do look! :mrgreen:

Yeah, an excess of gear, but what I don't get sent for review I make myself. Not only do I have many of everything, I also have lots of different fabrics, webbings and buckle-type things.

Cheers
Roger

Thu 02 May, 2019 10:09 pm

Pegs!

The journey continues...

Think I'll just bend some ht fencewire up next.

Fri 03 May, 2019 7:03 am

Neo,

Do you have a favourite type of peg?

I like mini groundhogs but have started using some Easton ones that came with a tarptent.

Fri 03 May, 2019 10:25 am

Heremeahappy1 wrote:The impacts of excessive consumer behaviour is much greater than localised 'leave no trace' approaches. Yeah Im upset when I see fireplace scars where fires arent permitted tmor noodle wrappers left in designated wilderness areas, however the energy used, waste generated and carbon foot print of an average hiking pack is significant enough. The more purchased, the greater the impact. Its great to keep 3rd world country sweatshops running these kids need a job, but consider ethical purchasing habits and the broader impacts on our environment. A single durable decision will go along way. Yes Im somewhat cynical and have previously chased successive purchases in the race to go lighter, better and more. Lately Im scaling back and changing my unsustainable approches. I dont seek to point fingers merely stating a positive behavioural change that aligns with conservation philosohies that I suspect many on this forum would share.

Well said. Recent experiences with poor durability of lighter weight packs and shoes make me question how light weight gear sits with my attempts to live sustainably.

Fri 03 May, 2019 11:16 am

This is an interesting question. I am new to ul hiking ,backpacking and I have made many mistakes due
Mostly to internet shopping mistakes. It has been difficult to get my needs to line up with the industry marketing and YouTube views. So I have gathered up a large number of gear that would not go into my bag today. Sleeping bags have been a challenge for sure. In the end I’ve gone with quilt. Silver lining is the gear wall in storage room looks cool.

Sun 05 May, 2019 7:03 am

Anything bushgear related...mainly in the pursuit of lightness vs usability. :wink:

Sun 05 May, 2019 8:43 pm

Petew wrote:Neo,

Do you have a favourite type of peg?

I like mini groundhogs but have started using some Easton ones that came with a tarptent.

Hi Petew

Probably would be Helinox branded J stakes, which are actually a v profile (?). They can handle a bit of rock hammering if required, hold and remove well.

And if you know its going to be sandy, a few COI or MSR sand/snow pegs are great.

Sun 05 May, 2019 9:05 pm

Interesting question...

Personally I just try to upgrade gears or myself , but I have 4 kids, so this has lead to some “hoarding” behaviour....this can be quite a challenge, as there always seems to be someone who is looking for outdoor gear TO BORROW.

Best suggestion is to repeat multiple times that you are not a free hire depot, and get on with life. I haven’t done this, but need to.

A

Mon 20 May, 2019 12:09 pm

I have bought way too many sleep pads.
3 neoair xlite, short, regular and large. A klymit static v.
A exped hyperlite mw.
A thermarest neoair trekker.
A naturehike ccf pad.

Finally I found something I sleep well on. My sea to summit ultralight insulated. Its a godsend after spending the better part of $1500 on mats.

Mon 20 May, 2019 5:23 pm

My favourite mat too.

Also have a exped hyperlite winter
2 ul7 synmats
2 heavy duty synmats, the orange ones

The StS ultralight insulated sees by far the most action though. Even though it's the thinnest I find it the most comfortable. Plus feels a lot more bomber than the other UL mats and the best valve by far!

Tue 21 May, 2019 2:38 pm

wildwanderer wrote:Rain Jackets. I have five plus another three water resistant jackets.

And we have a drought!

Tue 21 May, 2019 3:21 pm

GPSGuided wrote:And we have a drought!

Should go for a walk without the rain gear then :)
Post a reply