Pulled the trigger on a new shelter today.

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Pulled the trigger on a new shelter today.

Postby threshold » Thu 25 Apr, 2019 8:08 pm

https://antigravitygear.com/shop/produc ... p-shelter/

- It allegedly weighs 227grams on SMD's website, according to AGG (who also weigh it on their own scales) it is 7oz (198g).
- Add carbon pole, I don't really use trekking poles +51g.
- Looking at getting a MLD solomid innernet DCF to pair with it at 227grams.
- + 6 mini ground hogs 60 grams (I think.)
- A nice double wall shelter at 536 grams if everyone involved scales work and my math skills are correct!

At the low low price of WAYYYYY too much....
threshold
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Re: Pulled the trigger on a new shelter today.

Postby Zapruda » Thu 25 Apr, 2019 8:15 pm

threshold wrote:https://antigravitygear.com/shop/product-category/six-moon-designs-deschutes-zero-g-tarp-shelter/

- It allegedly weighs 227grams on SMD's website, according to AGG (who also weigh it on their own scales) it is 7oz (198g).
- Add carbon pole, I don't really use trekking poles +51g.
- Looking at getting a MLD solomid innernet DCF to pair with it at 227grams.
- + 6 mini ground hogs 60 grams (I think.)
- A nice double wall shelter at 536 grams if everyone involved scales work and my math skills are correct!

At the low low price of WAYYYYY too much....

Nice one. Let us know how it goes.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Lamont » Thu 25 Apr, 2019 8:24 pm

Hmm, sweet as. Looking forward to some pictures when it floats across.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby threshold » Thu 25 Apr, 2019 8:32 pm

I have had SMD lunar solo + gatewood cape before, I liked them both, but hated the sagging obviously being from being a silnylon tent. I sold them because of the sagging really, readjusting a tent EVERYTIME after you set it up is a PITA. The lunar solo was a bit of a condesation trap however that may have been from me being inexperienced in setting up in proper areas.

I have had a little play with DCF on a HMG tarp I bought off of this forum and I am pretty confident this should work out very well, I like DCF these qualities, lighter than silnylon, doesn't absorb water and stays taught. I dislike it for its price and the loud noise it makes when rain hits it! (probably because it is taught!!)
threshold
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Return to Ultralight backpacking