One Planet 2Midable with Dyneema - DCF

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

One Planet 2Midable with Dyneema - DCF

Postby Zapruda » Tue 05 Mar, 2019 10:03 am

Great to see One Planet getting in on some lightweight kit. Sadly, I think they priced themselves out of the market with this one. There are plenty of DCF mid options that can be sourced from OS for much less.

https://www.oneplanet.com.au/product/te ... h-dyneema/

I am a huge fan of my 4midable and I expect the quality of this one to be just as good.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Re: One Planet 2Midable with Dyneema - DCF

Postby Franco » Tue 05 Mar, 2019 10:19 am

This is the first tranquil solo shelter I have seen so far.
2 m is some serious height for a solo shelter so I would think that is a point of difference from the rest.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Zapruda » Tue 05 Mar, 2019 10:38 am

Hey Franco,

Can you elaborate a little more. What do you mean by tranquil?

I also cant seem to find the actual dimensions anywhere. I just assumed it was the same (give or take) as the Duomid and Khufu.

Cheers
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Franco » Tue 05 Mar, 2019 11:21 am

From the OP product page (the one in your link )
"This is an incredibly lightweight shelter, designed for serious play: those aiming to go further and faster. It’s a tranquil solo tent or a haven for a weather-beaten group".
Same page (in the "slide show")
2Midable-dyneema-dimensions.jpg
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Zapruda » Tue 05 Mar, 2019 11:31 am

Thanks Franco. I thought “Tranquil” was some new Dyneema product. Slow brain today.

The height changes things a bit. Looks very spacious with those dimensions. The height should keep feet away from the walls but at the cost of wind resistance...
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Franco » Tue 05 Mar, 2019 11:46 am

If I understand correctly, 180 cm is the fly down to the ground and 210 cm is the max height, so 30cm off the ground .
possibly the 210cm is for the " group shelter" set up (lunch out of the rain).
Still 180cm is pretty high for a solo shelter so yes I would think that there is good headroom under there.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Tue 05 Mar, 2019 3:39 pm

"weighing in at a scant 12 gsm".
Is that the "0.51 ounce" stuff a la zpacks base model/TT Notch?
Those panels must be huge given the height. Saw a HMG one (mid) a while back and man those panels were huge and I am not sure it was quite this high.
What might be a "reasonable price?" Or range? Would it be based on say HMG?
I know One Planet stuff is excellent! Would love to know if they made it here, can't see it given it's just rucksacks from them now, but...
would be a nice point of distinction.
Can we now expect a OP walk stick tent in DCF? Giddy up!
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby Zapruda » Wed 06 Mar, 2019 7:51 am

Lamont wrote:"What might be a "reasonable price?" Or range? Would it be based on say HMG?

The HMG Ultamid 2 comes in at around $1000 aud, the LG Khufu at about $800 and the Duomid at $650. So the price isn't too bad but nowhere near competitive enough.

Lamont wrote:"Can we now expect a OP walk stick tent in DCF? Giddy up!

I doubt it and hopefully not. My wallet is floating away just thinking about it.

A One Planet pack made out of DCF with one of their harnesses would definitely get my heart pumping.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Wed 06 Mar, 2019 3:19 pm

Zapruda wrote:A One Planet pack made out of DCF with one of their harnesses would definitely get my heart pumping.

I've thought that for a long time. OP harnesses are the bomb and paired with, say HMG's 150d DCF... could pretty much name their price (and no doubt would)
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Wed 06 Mar, 2019 3:45 pm

Mm HMG seems to be their benchmark and priced for Costanza walleted people.
Can't find if it's made here, surely not.
I reckon a tent is on the cards.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Wed 06 Mar, 2019 7:13 pm

Pfff!
At $600 I might consider it :(
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: New South Wales

Postby chamb606 » Sun 10 Mar, 2019 9:06 pm

Clicking on he link lets me know that this very lightweight "tarp" is priced at 1099.00 with an optional mesh inner (which would make it a tent in my opinion).
At what point does one look at the cost of these lightweight options and consider which body organ your going to sell to finance that extra 500gm weight saving.
From my experience our body is very capable of providing the load bearing capacity, given appropriate training, that we need to enjoy the great outdoors.
How would this and all the other overpriced 'lightweight' hiking equipment available be in the 'affordable' realm of your average hiker?
Sorry for the rant but seeing the cost of this piece of material supported by your own provided trekking pole frankly disgusts me.
Added to the fact that this material would need delicate care I imagine due to its seemingly fliminess, I can't imagine without treating it like a new born baby that it would last too long in "the bush".

End rant!
chamb606
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby Zapruda » Sun 10 Mar, 2019 9:29 pm

chamb606 wrote:Clicking on he link lets me know that this very lightweight "tarp" is priced at 1099.00 with an optional mesh inner (which would make it a tent in my opinion).
At what point does one look at the cost of these lightweight options and consider which body organ your going to sell to finance that extra 500gm weight saving.
From my experience our body is very capable of providing the load bearing capacity, given appropriate training, that we need to enjoy the great outdoors.
How would this and all the other overpriced 'lightweight' hiking equipment available be in the 'affordable' realm of your average hiker?
Sorry for the rant but seeing the cost of this piece of material supported by your own provided trekking pole frankly disgusts me.
Added to the fact that this material would need delicate care I imagine due to its seemingly fliminess, I can't imagine without treating it like a new born baby that it would last too long in "the bush".

End rant!

Take your disgust elsewhere.

Some people, like myself, count grams and sometimes are willing to spend the money on gear that helps achieve a lower weight. The benefits of having lighter gear are immense. Personally, being nimble and unburdened has turned my bushwalking into something else entirely. I am able to walk faster, explore further, be out longer and be unrestrained by gear.

These prices may seem excessive to you but bushwalking is my number one pursuit and passion in life and I am willing to relinquish some funds to achieve my required goals. I spend 60+ nights of the year in a tent. $1000 over 60 nights is pretty damn good in my eyes. Maybe it wouldn’t be worth it if YOU spend a couple of nights a year outside.

This material has been out for a long time and has been used for years by many people, myself included. The consensus is that it works and is a niche product. It isn’t aimed at the masses.

No one is trying to force this on you. You are in the ultalight sub forum. What else did you expect?
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby chamb606 » Sun 10 Mar, 2019 9:52 pm

Totally understand your point of view. I get that people are willing to spend alot of money on their passions.
I agree that being unburdened by gear can make the outdoors experience easier.
However as a ex military member with plenty of nights under the stars under my belt in my humble opinion nothing counts more than training your body for what your trying to do. By counting grams and spending tens of thousands on lighter gear will make it easier for those less fit to be able to go further and longer. But has been well proven by our elite soldiers (I'm not counting myself in the category), fitness and training will give you the freedom to enjoy the outdoors regardless of the weight you carry.
chamb606
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Zapruda » Sun 10 Mar, 2019 10:12 pm

chamb606 wrote:Totally understand your point of view. I get that people are willing to spend alot of money on their passions.
I agree that being unburdened by gear can make the outdoors experience easier.
However as a ex military member with plenty of nights under the stars under my belt in my humble opinion nothing counts more than training your body for what your trying to do. By counting grams and spending tens of thousands on lighter gear will make it easier for those less fit to be able to go further and longer. But has been well proven by our elite soldiers (I'm not counting myself in the category), fitness and training will give you the freedom to enjoy the outdoors regardless of the weight you carry.

I agree that fitness and strength will benefit bushwalking. I am a keen marathon runner and somewhat keen weight lifter who sees the benefit of those pursuits flow into my bushwalking and other outdoor adventures.

You don’t have to choose going lightweight over fitness and strength or vice versa. You can have both.

Who will be better off long term? - Two equally fit people, the same conditions, one with 10kg on their back or the one with 20kg?

And as a side note. If someone is unfit and lighter gear gets them outside and on the road to fitness then all the better in my opinion.

Cheers
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Walk_fat boy_walk » Mon 11 Mar, 2019 5:40 am

No one *has to* buy anything so I'm not sure why anyone would be disgusted?? 1100 bucks isn't cheap (but we're talking about a high end product, OP have a pretty solid quality record IMO) and I won't get one... But I'm set for lightweight shelters so have no need to. DCF isn't flimsy BTW, I've treated my MLD shelter like s**t over the years and it's still good as new.

Sent from my F8131 using Tapatalk
Walk_fat boy_walk
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Lamont » Mon 11 Mar, 2019 7:52 am

Many misconceptions and misrepresentations chamb.
Wondering why you would assume it is lightweight when it says clearly it is ultralight and needs to be treated carefully?
.....'lightweight' hiking equipment available be in the 'affordable' realm of your average hiker?"
Why would you assume this when it clearly does not say this or even imply this? In fact the price and description would turn off the average punter immediately?
Not sure you understand the nature of ultralight. Please have a squiz at the forum rules at the top of this page in pink. It says 'rules' but maps out the underpinning philosophy quite well I reckon.
Yes, it is expensive-all the new progressive (i.e. Ultralight) materials in any industry tend to be don't they?
Us Ozzies however, tend to stick with what's tried and true and don't like change.
Not really fussed with your points-misconceptions abound around ultralight and Zapruda responded to many nicely, but that you keep harking back to the military which I think is the foundation of the point you are trying to make in the first place?
https://www.thehikinglife.com/ I highly recommend this-the worlds most eminent ultralight adventurer and a Queenslander, this will fill all the gaps.
He writes well, is highly intelligent and engaging.
You might come out the other end ultralight!
Cheers.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Stew63 » Mon 11 Mar, 2019 8:09 am

Others choose to spend ridiculous, 'illogical' amounts of money on a car ($25,000+ when you could buy one that does the same thing for much less) or cycling (my BIL just spent $5000 on a road bike) or golf - I too choose to spend mine on counting grams. Like Zapruda I too am an Ultra Marathon (trail) runner and would consider myself quite fit for my age - but not elite. (Mid 50 I can still run a road marathon in sub 3:30) With my fitness, mentality AND the lightweight gear I can push myself even faster/harder/further while outdoors than I could lugging a 'heavy' pack on my back. Try running uphill through the bush/outdoors with a 20kg pack compared to a 5kg pack!!
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Dexter » Mon 11 Mar, 2019 8:21 am

I'm not that well versed in ultralight gear. But I do know this and that about hiking/camping gear in general, and there does seem to be a disconnect between what the military will use, and what is popular in the bushwalking community (even in the non-ultalight catagory). A good mate of mine is an officer and we often have discussions about various techniques and gear. To me it seems the army is far more conservative (perhaps they just have to be) and will stick with heavier duty (heavier weight) gear, or simply go without. That doesn't mean there are not valid lighter weight alternatives that are also durable. Perhaps it may be the case that bushwalkers have the luxury of experimenting a little more with newer techniques and materials.

That aside. Some people buy expensive TV's, gaming computers, modify their cars, or fly RC helicopters etc. Everyone has their 'thing'. In the grand scheme of things, $1000 is not a lot if you get use out of it, and have a passion for something. The market will dictate if the price is too high.
Dexter
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Franco » Mon 11 Mar, 2019 8:55 am

a $1000 tent does seem to be very expensive but if you get 100 nights out of it (some get 2-300 plus) , it then becomes a bargain compared to paying for 100 nights at a motel or buying a campervan that will be used 2 or 3 times for a few weeks and then spends the rest of its life taking up room in the driveway.
As something to think about, a few years ago someone mentioned that he ONLY paid £75 for a brand new North Face tent.
You know, nothing like those stupid prices we pay now.
The fun bit was that at the time (mid 70s) where he bought the tent (london) I had to work for about 2.5 weeks to earn those £75 pounds....
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby chamb606 » Mon 11 Mar, 2019 9:17 am

I am not trying to be contentious. I have read and understand the ultralight philosophy. I know see that my comment was one of those that should have been thought about but not voiced.
chamb606
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Franco » Mon 11 Mar, 2019 10:11 am

nothing wrong with voicing an opinion, yours is just as valid as any other one.
What some were trying to say is that people in general do spend money on their hobby that others feel is silly or excessive.
213572_Jon_Jessesen_Star_Wars_collection_world_record.jpg
213572_Jon_Jessesen_Star_Wars_collection_world_record.jpg (98.28 KiB) Viewed 37997 times

For fun, a shot of some MAMIL ( Middle Aged Men In Lycra)
mamil-2.jpg
mamil-2.jpg (126.71 KiB) Viewed 37995 times

They don't buy $200 bikes...
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Warin » Mon 11 Mar, 2019 12:15 pm

Franco wrote:They don't buy $200 bikes...

Some do. They train on the heavy bike. And then use the 'good' bike for races/club rides. Bikes generally >$2,000 ... some are not that much slower on the heavy bike :oops: (note to self .. must get fitter)
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Stew63 » Mon 11 Mar, 2019 12:51 pm

chamb606 wrote:I am not trying to be contentious. I have read and understand the ultralight philosophy. I know see that my comment was one of those that should have been thought about but not voiced.

That's cool - it's great we can all have a civilised, friendly discussion :D And chamb606 it's great to have your and other opinions on here.
I've been on another outdoor forum (not hiking) and opinions can get very nasty in there - I don't bother contributing there anymore.
Stew63
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Franco » Mon 11 Mar, 2019 1:57 pm

Warin wrote:
Franco wrote:They don't buy $200 bikes...

Some do. They train on the heavy bike. And then use the 'good' bike for races/club rides. Bikes generally >$2,000 ... some are not that much slower on the heavy bike :oops: (note to self .. must get fitter)

Yes, I should have been more to the point with : they don't buy just ONE $200 bike..
as some here, I believe, also don't buy "just one tent"...
(not sure but I could be under 10 tents at the moment)
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Nuts » Mon 11 Mar, 2019 5:44 pm

Well, not to attempt contrarian, but i'm not so sure of the 'advantages' here, unless, perhaps, considering weight reduction as a sole attribute. Too tall for wind, more sticky for snow. No stretch and big panels means shock loading on any fixed points, the guys and (especially) the peak over competitive fabrics. Essentially see-thru in solid colours. And what is that weight saving? Even in a shelter of this size, 4 or 5 x 15 or 20 grams for the compromise? I'd think more in terms of 10,200g's V's 20kg's. It seems, to me, many other items don't compromise much at all for their lighter weight benefit, but this one is 'on trend'.

I get the feeling that recent entry of some established companies into this choice of fabric, driven by demand, fly's in the face of their own best design ideals.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby ribuck » Mon 11 Mar, 2019 10:00 pm

Just to put the price into perspective, at Kings Creek Station (Near Kings Canyon, NT) they charge $1350 per night to stay in their "glamping tent".

https://www.kingscreekstation.com.au/accomodation
ribuck
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Neo » Sat 16 Mar, 2019 7:08 am

Same hotel/motel comparison:

Cheaper room $140/ night so 7 to 8 nights is a thousand dollars (gone).

Edit. But yes there is also a big mark-up on many gear items.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Moondog55 » Sun 07 Apr, 2019 3:06 pm

I get the military connection but you need to remember that the military buys from the cheapest bidder and the spec for the gear is geared towards a robust working environment , as far removed from UL hiking as billy carts are from Formula One racing. Personally I can't see the value in Cuben/DCF at this point but my mind will change if I get rich or the cost comes well down.
I've looked seriously at the 4Midable but don't trust the 15D fabric for my winter trips; they don't offer a heavier fabric because the market wants the lighter weight.
Ve are too soon old und too late schmart
Moondog55
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby Neo » Sun 07 Apr, 2019 9:01 pm

Have heard a few complaints about the zipper design (being on a corner rather than a side) and know a couple of younger campers that have put small holes in theirs.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Next

Return to Ultralight backpacking