Are there any micro businesses doing UL packs in Australia?

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Are there any micro businesses doing UL packs in Australia?

Postby dagsands » Tue 19 Feb, 2019 1:34 pm

I have an osprey aura. I love it but it's heavy - as I get my other gear down in weight, I don't need the carrying capacity.

I have looked at lots of US companies and garage gear type people who are making UL packs - Zpacks, MLD, waymark, palante etc. Apart from baulking at the exchange rate and the shipping, I also would like to try them on, see if I could actually go frameless, buy from an Aussie...

Does anyone know of anybody in oz making good UL packs? NE NSW or SE QLD would be a bonus.

Cheers in advance. :D
Two dags and their pooch who live at the beach in their home called Dagsands, of course.
dagsands
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Wild Earth Affiliate
Region: New South Wales

Re: Are there any micro businesses doing UL packs in Austral

Postby Zapruda » Tue 19 Feb, 2019 2:41 pm

Dan at Wilderness Threadworks is the guy to chat to - https://www.wildernessthreadworks.com/products

His work is exceptional and he is really excellent to talk to about packs and dial in what you need.

He is based in QLD.
Zapruda
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Lamont » Tue 19 Feb, 2019 4:18 pm

I concur.
Lamont
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: https://www.againstmalaria.com/
Region: Other Country

Postby dagsands » Wed 20 Feb, 2019 11:04 am

Zapruda wrote:Dan at Wilderness Threadworks is the guy to chat to - https://www.wildernessthreadworks.com/products

His work is exceptional and he is really excellent to talk to about packs and dial in what you need.

He is based in QLD.

Awesome ! Thank you Zapruda and Lamont
Two dags and their pooch who live at the beach in their home called Dagsands, of course.
dagsands
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Wild Earth Affiliate

Postby bunyips » Sat 04 May, 2019 4:05 pm

Zapruda wrote:Dan at Wilderness Threadworks is the guy to chat to - https://www.wildernessthreadworks.com/products

He is based in QLD.

So good to see comparable workmanship with the Yanks!! Will be contacting said gentleman. Cheers for that!!
bunyips
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: Queensland

Postby ULhikerAU » Fri 24 May, 2019 10:27 pm

Another thumbs up for Wilderness Threadworks, great gear!
ULhikerAU
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

ASSOCIATED ORGANISATIONS: Ultralight Hiker
Region: Victoria

Postby coryjohnrist » Sun 26 May, 2019 10:31 am

+1 for Wilderness Threadworks. Got the Sonder 36L and i love it. Not only is it a great pack, Dan is incredibly helpful and will tolerate even the stupidest questions (i had lots :) and will customize whatever you need. Ill be posting a review of mine soon.
coryjohnrist
Atherosperma moschatum
Atherosperma moschatum

Region: Western Australia

Postby havanainthebush » Tue 18 Jun, 2019 11:09 pm

All I can comment is don't buy a Zpack bag. They may be light but after a few uses, you'll be plastering holes the whole time. A few hikers in my group use Zpacks and there is black tape all over the holes they've encountered on hikes. Unless you are one of those people who don't scramble or bush bash or like fitting into tight spaces and exploring, then it's probably fine with careful use. The last thing you want is holes while it's raining on a multiday trail!

I buy my pack from the UK. Postage is about $20 and the quality is excellent. Had mine for nearly 8 years without any rips or tears. The Wilderness looks good too though but never tried them myself.
havanainthebush
Nothofagus gunnii
Nothofagus gunnii

Region: Victoria

Postby crollsurf » Fri 28 Jun, 2019 11:10 pm

Another Wilderness Threadworks fan boy. They're fine for manicured tracks but they're designed for Australian conditions which means they'll cope with a bit of a beating.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jobell » Sat 29 Jun, 2019 7:46 pm

+1 for a good experience with Wilderness Threadworks. Dan made me a custom pouch to hold my phone on the shoulder strap of one of my packs. It wasn't the biggest purchase ever but Dan took the time to cottespond with me and make sure I got what I needed even if I didn't start off by quite knowing myself!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R.Tolkien
jobell
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australian Capital Territory

Postby Ms_Mudd » Sun 30 Jun, 2019 9:54 pm

jobell wrote:+1 for a good experience with Wilderness Threadworks. Dan made me a custom pouch to hold my phone on the shoulder strap of one of my packs. It wasn't the biggest purchase ever but Dan took the time to cottespond with me and make sure I got what I needed even if I didn't start off by quite knowing myself!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Do you have any pics of it? How does it work out for you?
I ask only as as I had aspirations of using my shoulder straps for small water bottles or an aftermarket pouch and my Montane pack has fitting for such, but it just doesn't work for me due to how the unisex straps fit. It is almost like anything I have on the shoulder straps want to get lost under my arms. I do mostly use my Osprey Pack, but it is getting sent away for repairs tomorrow, so the Montane will be back in rotation again.
Ms_Mudd
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby threshold » Mon 15 Jul, 2019 4:46 pm

I just got a sonder 36l in the post last week. Very interested to see how it goes on its debut trip this weekend. Looks very well made.
threshold
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: South Australia

Return to Ultralight backpacking