New Thermarest UberLite (vs NeoAir Xlite) pad

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

New Thermarest UberLite (vs NeoAir Xlite) pad

Postby emma_melbourne » Sun 28 Oct, 2018 10:11 pm

There's a video just gone up on Youtube which is a comparison of the new Thermarest Uberlite to the NeoAir Xlite, which I thought might be of interest to some of the Ultralight community on here, if you haven't already seen it. (And apologies if you have and I'm boring you.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sg17m1XQcg

Of course no tests of real life durability in the field over the long haul, for the reduced weight and fabric specs.

However I'm sure for some of you it will be of interest with its smaller pack size, weight saving, and the R value of 2 will be enough insulation for a lot of applications and warm conditions here in Australia.

Best,

Emma
emma_melbourne
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: New Thermarest UberLite (vs NeoAir Xlite) pad

Postby warnabrother » Fri 02 Nov, 2018 10:43 am

hadn't seen this.. thanks for the link..
now to wait for australian inflated pricing !
warnabrother
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Victoria

Re: New Thermarest UberLite (vs NeoAir Xlite) pad

Postby melinda » Sun 04 Nov, 2018 8:09 am

Heh Emma, thanks for posting. This mat has been doing the rounds of the US gear shows for a while now, and yes, it has caught my attention. I think the Xlite is a great mat with a surprisingly good warmth to weight ratio. No reason to upgrade just yet. But the weight savings is significant. Will definitely be following reviews, and prices as they drop over the first year or so. :)
'Life is either a daring adventure or nothing'
melinda
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: New South Wales

Return to Ultralight backpacking