Ookworks down the gurgler.

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Ookworks down the gurgler.

Postby Davidf61 » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 10:14 pm

Off to the UK in a few weeks, had a vague thought about some Ookworks gear while there, from the website front page, appears he's had a bit of a meltdown and it's all over.

Can't be the easiest of business's to be in I guess....
Davidf61
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Re: Ookworks down the gurgler.

Postby photohiker » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 10:41 pm

Sean has been on the edge and trying to run a business for years now.

I ordered his nest for the Trailstar and was a bit late, but he did it and was delivered in time when I was walking across Scotland. Have used it a lot. It was and is excellent.

I hope Sean finds a better life, and hopefully someone buys his stock and designs and we find it moving forward.
Michael
photohiker
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby jdeks » Thu 09 Aug, 2018 11:05 pm

Yeah not a lot of pity here.

The dude was charging premium, premium prices for the product he was selling, then expecting everyone to act like he was doing them a favor for taking their money. I think it's fair to say most people looking at UL cottage industry stuff are well aware its usually one bloke and a sewing machine, and they're willing to let things flex accordingly...but Sean was taking money and making promises he literally couldn't cash, in some cases for YEARS. Not saying he deserved the abuse or threats he's alleging, but even for little operation like that, he did not manage things professionally.

Depression and stress are real issues, but if they're a factor in your life, then you need to take them into account in whatever business plans you may have. If you can't manage them around your professional obligations, then don't take peoples money promising something you can't provide, then accuse them of being jerks when they feel ripped off.

I'm not surprised it ended this way, but it really seems like he's trying to shift the blame onto everyone else, and that's disappointing.
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Australia

Postby Franco » Mon 13 Aug, 2018 9:51 am

let's say that I don't miss his vitriolic comments at Outdoor Magic.
He used to post as Ms Nesbit.
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby Davidf61 » Tue 14 Aug, 2018 11:01 am

Sounds like he had a good product [ most reviews were excellent ], which piggybacked off other good quality products, and people will pay for that.

Maybe he just needed to sit down with a reasonable small business planner, and get some real advice on how to run a business. Hopefully someone will pick up where he left off.
Davidf61
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Region: Western Australia

Postby Nuts » Wed 15 Aug, 2018 4:50 pm

I had a glitch with an order in the very early days. Asking around for other's experiences was fair, but seemed to rile him. I remember thinking at the time he's going to struggle (in a startup 'outdoor' business) being so sensitive/responsive to criticism.
Nuts
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby ULWalkingPhil » Mon 03 Sep, 2018 6:38 pm

I'm surprised his lasted this long to be honest.
ULWalkingPhil
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Queensland

Postby Franco » Wed 12 Sep, 2018 7:08 pm

I have seen this happening several times in the last 15 years or so.
People greatly underestimate the cost in time , money and energy dealing with repairs and or simply dissatisfied customers.
If I had the talent to make "cottage industry" stuff , I would not...
Franco
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Victoria

Postby jdeks » Wed 12 Sep, 2018 8:02 pm

I would be very interested to hear Undercling Mike's perspective on this....
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Postby Tortoise » Wed 12 Sep, 2018 9:26 pm

Franco wrote:People greatly underestimate the cost in time , money and energy dealing with repairs and or simply dissatisfied customers.

jdeks wrote:I would be very interested to hear Undercling Mike's perspective on this....

I'd already decided that Michael would be the exception. I guess anything can happen, but it's hard to imagine him having any dissatisfied customers! I've found his design, workmanship, customer service and the quality of his quilts are brilliant. This is not a paid advertisement.
Tortoise
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Region: Tasmania

Postby jdeks » Wed 12 Sep, 2018 11:03 pm

Absolutely agree. Mikes service and gear is great...so it's clearly possible to run an independent cottage gear business well.

I guess the question is whether he's dealing with problems Sean did, of whether those were unique to Seans operation?
jdeks
Athrotaxis cupressoides
Athrotaxis cupressoides

Return to Ultralight backpacking