Ultralight 3 season gear list

A place to chat about gear and the philosphy of ultralight. Ultralight bushwalking or backpacking focuses on carrying the lightest and simplest kit. There is still a good focus on safety and skill.
Forum rules
Ultralight Bushwalking/backpacking is about more than just gear lists. Ultralight walkers carefully consider gear based on the environment they are entering, the weather forecast, their own skill, other people in the group. Gear and systems are tested and tweaked.
If you are new to this area then welcome - Please remember that although the same ultralight philosophy can be used in all environments that the specific gear and skill required will vary greatly. It is very dangerous to assume that you can just copy someone else's gear list, but you are encouraged to ask questions, learn and start reducing the pack weight and enjoying the freedom that comes.

Common words
Base pack backpacking the mass of the backpack and the gear inside - not including consumables such as food, water and fuel
light backpacking base weight less than 9.1kg
ultralight backpacking base weight less than 4.5kg
super-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 2.3kg
extreme-ultralight backpacking base weight less than 1.4kg

Ultralight 3 season gear list

Postby Dug » Sat 28 Apr, 2018 4:02 pm

Hello fellow hikers,
just completed a 6 day section of the Hume and Hovell Track (Albury to Lankeys Creek) this is the gear list I used,

https://lighterpack.com/r/342nns

weights are measured on my scale some i just guessed because our scale broke. feedback would be greatly appreciated. I will hopefully be doing the whole Hume and Hovell soon (as soon as the bridges are fixed near Wee Jasper) will also be releasing a review of my Wilderness Threadworks Backpack soon. Hope to catch you on the trail.
Dug
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Region: New South Wales

Re: Ultralight 3 season gear list

Postby Neo » Sat 28 Apr, 2018 9:27 pm

Hi Dug

Not seeing a stove or cooking pot on your list..? Or water carry?

Nice setup. The mat is heavy at half a kilo, but similar to my confy one.

Gear looks light enough to me!

Now for season 4.
Neo
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Dug » Sat 28 Apr, 2018 10:03 pm

Neo wrote:Not seeing a stove or cooking pot on your list..?

I cold soaked my meals, it worked quite nicely
Neo wrote:Or water carry?

Under random, their are "bottles" I'll be making it more clear in my list
Neo wrote:The mat is heavy at half a kilo, but similar to my comfy one.

Good to hear I am not alone in wanting a comfy nights sleep in the backcountry I may transition to a CCF later but not right now

Thanks for the input
Dug
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby Warin » Sun 29 Apr, 2018 8:15 am

tooth brush can come down to 10g
water bottles need to come up.
No toilet paper, food ... consumables? Just base weight?
No thermals for night use.

You might get a few more details from my list? https://www.geargrams.com/list?id=47232 Think the added details of brands/models helps.
Warin
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Dug » Sun 29 Apr, 2018 9:26 am

Warin wrote:tooth brush can come down to 10g

Thanks you just saved me 10 grams
Warin wrote:water bottles need to come up.

thanks again I was just estimating but now the scale is working so more accurate

Warin wrote:No toilet paper, food ... consumables? Just base weight?

Yes that is correct food will be a seperate post if at all, I don't use toilet paper LNT and all that
Warin wrote:No thermals for night use.

I do have night use clothes the wool tights and the spare shirt

Warin wrote:You might get a few more details from my list? Think the added details of brands/models helps.

Thanks for the tip, have updated the list with brands and models

Thanks for the feedback
Dug
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Postby ChrisJHC » Sun 29 Apr, 2018 11:00 am

Depending on where you’re hiking you might want to add a PLB.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ChrisJHC
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius
Phyllocladus aspleniifolius

Region: Victoria

Postby crollsurf » Sun 29 Apr, 2018 6:29 pm

Emergency blanket could be useful for a day walk but you're already carrying a sleeping bag and a groundsheet so I wouldn't bother with it myself.

BTW How are you finding the Sonder? not much out there about them but they look good.
crollsurf
Lagarostrobos franklinii
Lagarostrobos franklinii

Postby wildwanderer » Mon 30 Apr, 2018 11:37 am

Very nice list.

Some questions.

How did the ball cap go? Ive always worn a hat that covers my neck/sides as well. Though I def look better (for the koloas :lol: ) in a ball cap.
Did you take suncreen?

How was the karabatic 30f (-1c) quilt? What was the temp it got down to at night on the hovell? Did you find the quilt kept you warm enough? (with or without thermals etc)
wildwanderer
Athrotaxis selaginoides
Athrotaxis selaginoides

Postby Dug » Mon 30 Apr, 2018 3:40 pm

ChrisJHC wrote:Depending on where you’re hiking you might want to add a PLB.

good point, for more remote hikes I will consider it, but on the Hume and Hovell track reception is pretty reliable
crollsurf wrote:Emergency blanket could be useful for a day walk but you're already carrying a sleeping bag and a groundsheet so I wouldn't bother with it myself.

Thanks, I will eliminate this item for my next hike, as your right my Mylar groundsheet is basically an emergency blanket so carrying another is redundant
crollsurf wrote:BTW How are you finding the Sonder?

Where to start, suffice to say it is an amazing backpack that is robust, light and made in Australia. Customer service is great, my pack was made and delivered in about 10 days, if memory serves me right. It is a well thought out pack that is a good alternative if your are looking at the MLD burn but can't stomach the international shipping costs (disclosure I have never owned a burn). I will be publishing an extensive review in the coming week so stay tuned for that
wildwanderer wrote:How did the ball cap go?

great, worked fine. I also wore my head soc(like a buff but cheaper) ,so it covered my neck and ears, in the future I may get an adapt a cap or something like that.
wildwanderer wrote:How was the karabatic 30f (-1c) quilt? What was the temp it got down to at night on the hovell? Did you find the quilt kept you warm enough? (with or without thermals etc)

It was a great quilt, never got cold. I did wear thermals, mostly to not have the plastic sleeping mat touching my skin. It got to about 8ish one night (I didn't have a thermometer so don't quote me on it) and it performed great to that temperature. That was with a beanie on, but the quilt was loose around me so cinched in, it could easily go down into the negatives with proper head coverage. FYI I regard myself as an average sleeper.
Dug
Nothofagus cunninghamii
Nothofagus cunninghamii

Return to Ultralight backpacking